Hebrews 1-2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:35:58 PDT 2013

April 18, 2013

 *OCT 23 - HEBREWS 1-2 - NEW COVENANT: SUPERIOR TO OLD*

 *1. 1:1-2 (1:1-4, NNT) JESUS SPEAKS FOR - AND MANIFESTS GOD. “:God, having
spoken of old to the fathers in the prophets by divers portions and in
divers manners, 2 has at the end of these :days spoken to us in a Son, whom
he appointed heir of all, through whom also he made the ages.” *Your
Kingdom Father, is most fully manifested in Jesus! In Him we know and see
You! You and Jesus are *one*! You are in Christ reconciling the world unto
Yourself. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:9 (1:5-14) JESUS: EXCEEDS ALL ANGELS. “You have loved righteousness,
and hated lawlessness; Therefore :God, your :God, has anointed you With oil
of gladness above your :fellows.” *See Isaiah 45:6-7. Father, *this* is
what You have done for the man Christ Jesus, because of His perfect
behavior in His humanity. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:2-3 (2:1-4) JESUS’ SALVATION: TO BE NEGLECTED AT OUR PERIL. “For if
the word spoken through angels became firm and every transgression and
disobedience received a just recompense of reward; 3 how shall WE escape,
if we neglect so great a salvation? which having at first been spoken
through the Lord, was confirmed unto us by them that heard.”*

We will *hear* this word Father, even with trembling and actions that
correspond. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:9-10 (2:5-10) JESUS: PERFECTED BY SUFFERING. **“But we behold him
who has been made a little lower than the angels, Jesus, because of the
suffering of :death crowned with glory and honor, that by God’s grace he
should taste of death for every **one**. **10 **For it became him, for whom
are :all **things**, and through whom are :all **things**, in **bringing
many sons into glory**, to perfect the author of their :salvation through
sufferings.” *Because of this Father, You forgive us, and give us grace to
forgive others. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:11-12 (2:11-13) JESUS: ONE WITH THE SANCTIFIED. **“For both the
sanctifier and sanctified **are** all of one: for which cause he is not
ashamed to call them brethren, **12 **saying, I will declare your name to
my :brethren, In midst of **the **church will I sing your praise.” *See
Psalm 22:22. Through His many-membered body Father, the Spirit of Christ
produces for You a *Heavenly Choir*! Sanctify us for this privilege. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:14-15. JESUS: DEFEATED SATAN IN THE FLESH. **“Since then the little
children are sharers in blood and flesh, himself also in like manner
partook of the same; that through :death he might bring to nothing him that
had the power of :death, that is, the devil; **15 **and might deliver all
those who from fear of death were all their :lifetime subject to
bondage.” *Powerful
insights here, worthy for our meditation! *And bring us not into temptation.
*

 *7. 2:17-18 (2:16-18) JESUS: VERY MAN OF VERY MAN. **“Whence it behooved **
him** in all **things** to made like his brethren, that he might become a
merciful and faithful high priest in the **things** pertaining to :God, to
make **propitiation** for the sins of the people. **18 **For wherein
himself has suffered being tempted, **he is able to help th**os**e being
tempted**.” *For this Father, we magnify You for loving us so much that You
sent us Your Son! *But deliver us from the evil **one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:3-4 (1:1-4) JESUS: A PERFECT MANIFESTATION OF THE FATHER. **“Who
being the Glory’s effulgence, and **the** very image of his :substance, and
upholding :all **things** by the word of his :power, when he had made
purification of :sins, sat down on **the** right of the Majesty on high; **4
**having become by so much better than the angels, as he has inherited a
more superior name than they.” *What more can we say?

 *Quote from Theodore Roosevelt: *“The country’s honor must be upheld at
home and abroad.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 113:5-6 (113, ESV) WHO IS LIKE THE LORD OUR GOD? “Who
is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high, 6 who looks far down on
the heavens and the earth?” *Even the things of the heavens is a humbling
for You to behold, Father! How much more that You observe us on earth!
*Hallowed
be your :name!*

 This Psalm is one of pure praise and contains but little which requires
exposition; a warm heart full of admiring adoration of the Most High will
best of all comprehend this sacred hymn. Its subject is the greatness and
condescending goodness of the God of Israel, as exhibited in lifting up the
needy from their low estate. It may fitly be sung by the church during a
period of revival after it has long been diminished and brought low. With
this Psalm begins the Hallel, or Hallelujah of the Jews, which was sung at
their solemn feasts: we will therefore call it, *“The Commencement of the
Hallel.”*

 113:1. *Praise ye the Lord.* (Or, Hallelujah, praise to Jehovah). Praise
is an essential offering at all the solemn feasts of the people of God.
Prayer is the myrrh and praise is the frankincense, and both of these must
be presented unto the Lord. How can we pray for mercy for the future if we
do not bless God for His love in the past? If God’s own servants do not
praise Him, who will? You are a people near unto Him and should be
heartiest in your loving gratitude. While they were slaves of Pharaoh, the
Israelites uttered groans and sighs by reason of their hard bondage; but
now that they had become servants of the Lord, they were to express
themselves in songs of joy. The name of Jehovah is thrice used in this
verse, and may by us who understand the doctrine of the Trinity in unity be
regarded as a thinly-veiled allusion to that holy mystery. Let Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit, all be praised as the One, only, Living, and True God.

 113:2. *Blessed be the name of the Lord. *By mentioning the name, the
Psalmist would teach us to bless each of the attributes of the Most High,
which are as it were the letters of His name; not quarreling with His
justice or His severity, nor servilely dreading His power, but accepting
Him as we find Him revealed in the inspired Word and by His own acts, and
loving Him and praising Him as such. We must not give the Lord a new name
nor invent a new nature, for that would be setting up a false god.

 113:3. *From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the
Lord’s name is to be praised.* It is a marvel of mercy that the sun should
rise on the rebellious sons of men, and prepare for the undeserving
fruitful seasons and days of pleasantness; let us for this prodigy of
goodness praise the Lord of all. From hour to hour let us renew the strain,
for each moment brings its mercy.

 113:5. *Who is like the Lord our God? *The challenge will never be
answered. None can be compared with Him for an instant; Israel’s God is
without parallel; our own God in covenant stands alone, and none can be
likened unto Him. Even those whom He has made like Himself in some respects
are not like Him in Godhead, for His divine attributes are many of them
incommunicable and inimitable.

 113:6. *Who humbles Himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and
in the earth! *He dwells so far on high that even to observe heavenly
things He must humble Himself. He must stoop to view the skies and bow to
see what angels do. What, then, must be His condescension, seeing that He
observes the humblest of His servants upon earth and makes them sing for
joy like Mary when she said, “You have regarded the low estate of Your
handmaiden.”

 113:7. *He raises up the poor out of the dust. *When no hand but His can
help He interposes, and the work is done. It is worth while to be cast down
to be so divinely raised from the dust. *And lifts the needy out of the
dunghill. *Whereon they lay like worthless refuse, cast off and cast out,
left as they thought to rot into destruction, and to be everlastingly
forgotten. How great a stoop from the height of His throne to a dunghill!
How wonderful that power which occupies itself in lifting up beggars, all
befouled with the filthiness in which they lay! For He lifts them out of
the dunghill, not disdaining to search them out from amidst the base things
of the earth that He may be their means to bring to nothing the great ones
and pour contempt upon all human glorying. What a dunghill was that upon
which we lay by nature! What a mass of corruption is our original estate!
What a heap of loathsomeness we have accumulated by our sinful lives! What
reeking abominations surround us in the society of our fellowmen! We could
never have risen out of all this by our own efforts; it was a sepulcher in
which we saw corruption and were as dead men. Almighty were the arms which
lifted us, which are still lifting us, and will lift us into the perfection
of heaven itself. Praise ye the Lord.

 113:9. *He makes the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother
of children. *The strong desire of the Easterners to have children caused
the birth of offspring to be hailed as the choicest of favors, while
barrenness was regarded as a curse; hence this verse is placed last as if
to crown the whole and to serve as a climax to the story of God’s mercy.
Nor is this all; each believer in the Lord Jesus must at times have mourned
his lamentable barrenness; he has appeared to be a dry tree yielding no
fruit to the Lord, and yet when visited by the Holy Spirit, he has found
himself suddenly to be like Aaron’s rod, which budded, and blossomed, and
brought forth almonds. Or ever we have been aware, our barren heart has
kept house, and entertained the Savior, our graces have been multiplied as
if many children had come to us at a single birth, and we have exceedingly
rejoiced before the Lord. Then have we marveled greatly at the Lord Who
dwells on high, that He has deigned to visit such poor, worthless
things. *(From
“The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*