Job 42 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:30:08 PDT 2013

April 17, 2013

 *OCT 22 - Job 42 - EPILOGUE*

 *1. 42:1-2 (42:1-4, ESV) JOB: HIS REPLY TO JEHOVAH. Then Job answered the
LORD and said: 2 “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of
yours can be thwarted.” *O forgive us, the clay! Write on our hearts the
revelation of Truth and Majesty that is in You alone! *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. 42:5-6. JOB: THE CONTRITE NATURE OF HIS REPLY. “I had heard of you by
the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you: 6 therefore I despise
myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” *True revelation brings deep
contrition. It produces a poor and contrite spirit (Isaiah 66:2). O let
this happen to us! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 42:7 (42:7-8) JOB: COMMANDED BY GOD TO ATONE FOR HIS FRIENDS. After
the LORD had spoken to Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite: “My
anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken
of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” *This strikes Your fear into
our hearts, O great Jehovah Father! Yet in Your wrath, remember mercy. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 42:9. JOB: ACCEPTED BY GOD WHEN HE SACRIFICED. “So Eliphaz the
Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what
the LORD had told them, and the LORD accepted Job’s prayer. *What grace!
What forgiveness! What unmerited favor! This is *all* of You, Gracious
Father! We thank You for being what You are! Lift us from our low
estimation of You, and plant our feet on higher ground! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. 42:10 (42:10-11) JOB: HIS CAPTIVITY TURNED AND PROSPERITY RESTORED. “And
the LORD restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends.
And the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.” *We can scarce
believe Your *abundant* graciousness, Your munificence! When we forgive
like Job, we are forgiven, and blessed abundantly. *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 42:12-13. JOB: HIS PROSPERITY DOUBLED. “And the LORD blessed the
latter days of Job more than his beginning. And he had 14,000 sheep, 6,000
camels, 1,000 yoke of oxen, and 1,000 female donkeys. 13 He had also seven
sons and three daughters.” *How amazing! You make it up to us Father, when
temporarily You permit Satan to tempt us. Hallelujah! *And bring us not
into temptation!*

 *7. 42:16-17 (42:14-17) JOB: HIS DAUGHTERS AND DEATH. “And after this Job
lived 140 years, and saw his sons, and his sons’ sons, four generations. 17 And
Job died, an old man, and full of days.” *What a fitting ending. You are
not mocked, Father; whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap. *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: Quote from Benjamin Harrison: *“No material greatness, no wealth,
no accumulation of splendor, is to be compared with those humble and homely
virtues which have generally characterized our American homes.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 112:1-3; 9 (112) THE RIGHTEOUS WILL NEVER BE
MOVED. “Praise the LORD! Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who
greatlydelights in his commandments! 2
His offspring shall be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright
will be blessed. 3 Wealth and riches are in his house, and his
righteousness endures forever.” *Surely this is a picture of Job! Father,
may it be true for us also! *“He has distributed freely; he has given to
the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor.”
*Again true of Job; and again, may it be true of us also, Father!

 The Hundred and Eleventh speaks of the great Father, and this describes
His children renewed after His image. The Psalm cannot be viewed as the
extolling of man, for it commences with *“Praise ye the Lord,”* and it is
intended to give to God all the honor of his grace which is manifested in
the sons of God.

 112:2. *The generation of the upright shall be blessed. *The godly may be
persecuted, but they shall not be forsaken; the curses of men cannot
deprive them of the blessing of God, for the words of Balaam are true, *“He
has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.” *To fear God and to walk uprightly
is a higher nobility than blood or birth can bestow.

 112:3. *Wealth and riches shall be in his house. *If we understand the
passage spiritually, it is abundantly true. What wealth can equal that of
the love of God? What riches can rival a contented heart? It matters
nothing that the roof is thatched and the floor is of cold stone: the heart
which is cheered with the favor of heaven is “rich to all the intents of
bliss.”

 112:4. *He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. *This is
spoken of God in the fourth verse of the Hundred and Eleventh Psalm, and
now the same words are used of His servant: thus we are taught that when
God makes a man upright, He makes him like Himself.

 112:5. *He will guide his affairs with discretion. *Alas, some professedly
good men act as if they had taken leave of their senses; this is not
religion, but stupidity. True religion is sanctified common sense.
Attention to the things of heaven does not necessitate the neglect of the
affairs of earth; on the contrary, he who has learned how to transact
business with God ought to be best able to do business with men. The
children of this world often are in their generation wiser than the
children of light, but there is no reason why this proverb should continue
to be true.

 112:9. *He has dispersed, he has given to the poor. *What he received, he
distributed; and distributed to those who most needed it. He was God’s
reservoir, and forth from his abundance flowed streams of liberality to
supply the needy. If this be one of the marks of a man who fears the Lord,
there are some who are strangely destitute of it. They are great at
gathering but very slow at dispersing; they enjoy the blessedness of
receiving but seldom taste the greater joy of giving. *“It is more blessed
to give than to receive” *- perhaps they think that the blessing of
receiving is enough for them.

 112:10. The tenth and last verse sets forth very forcibly the contrast
between the righteous and the ungodly, thus making the blessedness of the
godly appear all the more remarkable. Usually we see Ebal and Gerizim, the
blessing and the curse, set the one over against the other, to invest both
with the greater solemnity. *The wicked shall see it and be grieved.* The
ungodly shall first see the example of the saints to their own condemnation
and shall at last behold the happiness of the godly and to the increase of
their eternal misery. The child of wrath shall be obliged to witness the
blessedness of the righteous, though the sight shall make him gnaw his own
heart. He shall fret and fume, lament and wax angry, but he shall not be
able to prevent it, for God’s blessing is sure and effectual. *(From “The
Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*