Job 38-41 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 10:11:41 PDT 2013

April 16, 2013

 *OCT 21 - JOB 38-41 - GOD’S CLOSING INTERVENTION*

 *1. 38:1-2 (38:1-40:2, ESV) JEHOVAH’S FIRST DISCOURSE. Then the LORD
answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: 2 “Who is this that darkens
counsel by words without knowledge?” *It is our wisdom in time of fiery
trial and testing to hold our peace! But Job’s comforters should have done
likewise, and not provoked him with faulty reasoning. *Hallowed be your
:name!*

 *2. 40:3-5 JOB’S REPLY TO JEHOVAH. Then Job answered the LORD and
said: 4 “Behold,
I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. 5
I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no
further.” *Thank You Father, for the answer of Job. O in temptation’s hour,
may Your will be done in us in this same manner! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 40:6-7 (40:6-9) JEHOVAH: QUESTIONS JOB. Then the LORD answered Job out
of the whirlwind and said: 7 “Dress for action like a man; I will question
you, and you make it known to me.” *Father, we are but dust; we are but
clay. We will not seek to instruct You as the Potter. *Your :will be done,
As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 4:10-11 (40:10-14) JEHOVAH: CHALLENGES JOB. “Adorn yourself with
majesty and dignity; clothe yourself with glory and splendor. 11 Pour out
the overflowings of your anger, and look on everyone who is proud and abase
him.” *O forgive us Father, for speaking out of weakness, and human
perspective! Teach us to humbly wait upon You for answers for the trials of
this life. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 40:15, 19 (40:15-24) JEHOVAH: DESCRIBES BEHEMOTH. “Behold, Behemoth,
which I made as I made you; he eats grass like an ox. 19 He is the first of
the works of God; let him who made him bring near his sword!” *Your power
in creation Father, is *mighty*! Restrain our lips from premature judgment.
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 41:10-11 (41:1-14) JEHOVAH: DESCRIBES LEVIATHAN. “No one is so fierce
that he dares to stir Leviathan up. Who then is he who can stand before me? 11
Who has first given to me, that I should repay him? Whatever is under the
whole heaven is mine.” *You Father, are the Creator, and
*infinitely*greater than Your creation. Teach us to reason wisely in
these areas.
*And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 41:33-34 (41:15-34) JEHOVAH: ENLARGES ON LEVIATHAN. “On earth there is
none like Leviathan, a creature without fear. 34 He sees everything that is
high; he is king over all the sons of pride.” *What power You demonstrate
in creation, Father! How awesome! Yes, *Yours** *is the kingdom, and the
power and the glory forever! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 40:1-2 (38:1-40:2) JEHOVAH: ANSWERS JOB. **And the LORD said to
Job: 2 “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with
God, let him answer it.” *Here is the end of the matter. Silence in the midst
of testing is our wisdom!

 *Quote from A.W. Tozer - *“The victorious Christian neither exalts nor
downgrades himself. His interests have shifted from self to Christ. What he
is or is not no longer concerns him. He believes that he has been crucified
with Christ and he is not willing either to raise or deprecate such a man.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 111:9-10 (111) GREAT ARE THE LORD’S WORKS. “He
sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy
and awesome is his name! 10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of
wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise
endures forever!” *We bless You Father, for this word! We commit ourselves
to walk in it! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 There is no title to this Psalm, but it is an alphabetical hymn of praise,
having for its subject the works of the Lord in creation, providence, and
grace. The sweet singer dwells upon the one idea that God should be known
by His people, and that this knowledge when turned into practical piety is
man’s true wisdom and the certain cause of lasting adoration. Many are
ignorant of what their Creator has done, and hence they are foolish in
heart and silent as to the praises of God: this evil can only be removed by
a remembrance of God’s works and a diligent study of them; to this,
therefore, the Psalm is meant to arouse us. It may be called “The Psalm of
God’s Works,” intended to excite us to the work of praise.

 111:1. *Praise ye the Lord. *All you saints, unite in adoring Jehovah, Who
works so gloriously. Do it now; do it always; do it heartily; do it
unanimously; do it eternally. Even if others refuse, take care that you
have always a song for your God.

 111:2. *The works of the Lord are great. *In design, in size, in number,
in excellence, all the works of the Lord are great. Even the little things
of God are great. In some point of view or other, each one of the
productions of His power or the deeds of His wisdom will appear to be great
to the wise in heart.

 111:3. *And His righteousness endures forever. *The bearing of guilt by
our great Substitute proved that not even to effect the purposes of His
grace would the Lord forget His righteousness; no future strain upon His
justice can ever be equal to that which it has already sustained in the
bruising of His dear Son; it must henceforth assuredly endure forever.

 111:9. *Redemption. Praise our Triune Jehovah for His redemption. *Write
it down where you may read it. Affix it where you may see it. Engrave it on
your heart that you may understand it. It is a word big with importance. In
it is enfolded your destinies and those of the church to all future ages. *Holy
and reverend is His name. *Well may He say this. The whole name or
character of God is worthy of profoundest awe, for it is perfect and
complete, whole or holy. It ought not to be spoken without solemn thought
and never heard without profound homage. His name is to be trembled at; it
is something terrible; even those who know Him best rejoice with trembling
before Him. How good men can endure to be call “reverend,” we know not.
Being unable to discover any reason why our fellow-men should reverence us,
we half suspect that in other men there is not very much which can entitle
them to be called reverend, very reverend, right reverend, and so on. It
may seem a trifling matter, but for that very reason we would urge that the
foolish custom should be allowed to fall into disuse.

 111:10. *The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good
understanding have all they that do His commandments. *Practical godliness
is the test of wisdom. Men may know and be very orthodox; they may talk and
be very eloquent; they may speculate and be very profound; but the best
proof of their intelligence must be found in their actually doing the will
of the Lord. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by
D.O. Fuller**)*