Job 22-37 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 12:40:39 PDT 2013

April 15, 2013

*OCT 20 - JOB 22-37 - THIRD TRIAD*

 *1. 22:28 (22, ESV) ELIPHAZ: CHARGES JOB WITH HYPOCRISY. “You will decide
(decree) on a matter, and it will be established for you, and light will
shine on your ways.” *This is a wicked, unfeeling surmising. To prove a
theory, lies are made up. The *decrees* are dependent upon confession of
wicked acts not done! Father, forgive us for imputing false acts upon one
another. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 23:10, 12 (23-24) JOB: APPEALS TO GOD AGAINST HIS FRIENDS. “But he
knows the way I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. 12 I
have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the
words of his mouth more than my portion of food.” *Job refutes the false
charges of Eliphaz. Father, when we do right by You as far as we have
light, our conscience does not condemn us. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 25:4-6 (25) BILDAD: REPUDIATES JOB’S CONTENTIONS. “How then can man be
in the right before God? How can he who is born of woman be pure? 5 Behold,
even the moon is not bright, and the stars are not pure in his eyes; 6 how
much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!” *This
is foolish talk. You Father, in Jesus, through type, shadow and prophecy,
provided for justification by faith. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 28:28; 31:1 (26-31) JOB: LOOKS TO GOD ALONE. And he said to man,
“Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil
is understanding. 31:1 I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could
I gaze at a virgin?” *Father, You have designed that the fear of Jehovah
tends to separate us from evil. How we bless You for Your Wisdom in this! O
forgive us for glossing over Your Way of pleasing You! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. 32:1 (32:1-5) JOB’S THREE FRIENDS CEASE. “So these three men ceased to
answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes.” *Man has no answer
to Your deep dealing, Father. It is not in our human understanding to
understand You. We see the bankruptcy of wisdom in Job’ three friends. O
restrain us from sinning with our lips. *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 32:19-20 (32:6-22) ELIHU: ANSWERS JOB’S THREE FRIENDS. “Behold, my
belly is like wine that has no vent; like new wineskins ready to burst. 20 I
must speak, that I may find relief; I must open my lips and answer.” *Youth
sometimes has more wisdom than age, yet not as perfectly as its enthusiasm!
Father, put restraint upon us, that we fall not into the enemy’s devious
traps. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 33:14-18 (33-37) ELIHU: ANSWERS JOB. “For God speaks in one way, and
in two, though man does not perceive it. 15 In a dream, in a vision of the
night, when deep sleep falls on men, while they slumber on their beds, 16 then
he opens the ears of men and terrifies them with warnings, 17 that he may
turn man aside from his deed and conceal pride from a man; 18 he keeps back
his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.” *A good word!
Give us wisdom to discern the dreams of the second heaven and void them;
and those of the third heaven - and *walk in them*. *But deliver us from
the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 29:12-13 (26-31) JOB: HIS TESTIMONY OF TRUTH CONCERNING
HIMSELF. “Because
I delivered the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to
help him. 13 The blessing of him who was about to perish came to me, and I
caused the widow’s heart to sing for joy.” *Job 29 for a man, is parallel
to Proverbs 31:10-31 for a godly woman.

 *Quote from Vance Havner - “*When I pastored a country church, a farmer
didn’t like the sermons I preached on hell. He said, “Preach about the meek
and lowly Jesus.” I said, “That’s where I got my information about hell.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 110:2-3 (110) SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND. “The LORD
sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your
enemies! 3 Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your
power, in holy garments, from the womb of the morning, the dew of the youth
will be yours.” *We bless You Father, for Your Sovereignty in Jesus! You
rule, and do what is right in the midst of mankind! *Hallowed be your :name!
*

 “*A Psalm of David.” *Of the correctness of this title there can be no
doubt, since our Lord in Matthew 22 says, “How then does David in spirit
call Him Lord.” Yet some critics are so fond of finding new authors for the
Psalms that they dare to fly in the face of the Lord Jesus Himself. To
escape from finding Jesus here, they read the title, “Psalm of (or
concerning) David,” as though it was not so much written by him as of him;
but he that reads with understanding will see little enough of David here
except as the writer. He is not the subject of it even in the smallest
degree, but Christ is all. How much was revealed to the patriarch David.
How blind are some modern wise men, even amid the present blaze of light,
as compared with this poet-prophet of the darker dispensation! May the
Spirit Who spoke by the man after God’s own heart, give us eyes to see the
hidden mysteries of this marvelous Psalm, in which every word has an
infinity of meaning.

 110:1. *The Lord said unto my Lord. *How greatly should we prize the
revelation of His private and solemn discourse with the Son, herein made
public for the refreshing of His people! Lord, what is man that You should
thus impart Your secrets to Him! *Sit Thou at My right hand, until I make
Your enemies Your footstool. *Away from the shame and suffering of His
earthly life, Jehovah calls the Adonai, our Lord, to the repose and honors
of His celestial seat. His work is done, and He may sit; it is well done,
and He may sit at His right hand; it will have grand results, and He may
therefore quietly wait to see the complete victory which is certain to
follow. Therefore, let us never fear as to the future. While we see our
Lord and Representative sitting in quiet expectancy, we, too, may sit in
the attitude of peaceful assurance and with confidence await the grand
outcome of all events.

 110:4. We have now reached the heart of the Psalm, which is also the very
center and soul of our faith. Our Lord Jesus is a Priest-King by the
ancient oath of Jehovah. There has never arisen another like to Him since
His days, for whenever the kings of Judah attempted to seize the sacerdotal
office, they were driven back to their confusion: God would have no
king-priest save His Son.

 Melchizedek’s office was exceptional: none preceded or succeeded him; he
comes upon the page of history mysteriously; no pedigree is given, no date
of birth, or mention of death; he blesses Abraham, receives tithe, and
vanishes from the scene amid honors which show that he was greater than the
founder of the chosen nation. He is seen but once, and that once suffices.
Aaron and his seed came and went; their imperfect sacrifice continued for
many generations, because it had no finality in it and could never make the
comers thereunto perfect. Our Lord Jesus, like Melchizedek, stands forth
before us as a Priest of divine ordaining; not made a priest by fleshly
birth, as the sons of Aaron; He mentions neither father, mother, nor
descent, as His right to the sacred office; He stands upon His personal
merits, by Himself alone; as no man came before Him in His work, so none
can follow after; His order begins and ends in His own Person, and in
Himself it is eternal, “having neither beginning of days nor end of years.”
The King-Priest has been here and left His blessing upon the believing seed,
and now He sits in glory in His complete character, atoning for us by the
merit of His blood and exercising all power on our behalf.

 110:6. *He shall wound the heads over many nations.* The monarch of the
greatest nation shall not be able to escape the sword of the Lord; nor
shall that dread spiritual prince who rules over the children of
disobedience be able to escape without a deadly wound. Pope and priest must
fall, with Mohamed and other deceivers who are now heads of the people.
Jesus must reign, and they must perish. *(From “The Treasury of David” by
C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*