“THE SEVEN I AM's OF JESUS”
(RESULT: OVERCOMERS THROUGH THE PRE-EMINENT ONE)
NOTE: It is important to see Jesus as God sees Him for us. Jesus of course understands the high calling and privilege God has given Him as the Son of Man. But - He is also - Son of God! And at His Resurrection and Ascension, the Father proclaimedHim as Lord (Jehovah) and Christ (Messiah)! There is a manupon the Throne, at the right hand of the Father. He is both Son of Man and Son of God. The fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily in Him! When He has completed His Millennial reign as Lord of lords and King of kings, He will as Son of Man turn all things back to the Father, that God might be all things in all.
Jesus said - Before Abraham was, “I AM.” The seven I AM's of Jesus in the Gospel of John make this point abundantly clear. It is because of this that He makes the statement recorded in Matthew 23:39 (37-39) “You (Jerusalem) shall in no wise see me henceforth, till you shall say, 'Blessed who comes in theLord's (Jehovah's) name.'”
Check our Archives July 14, 2009, Numbers 6:22-27 (It will later be posted on our Website under “Hebrew.”) Here we see how the Holy Spirit links “I AM” with the 7 areas in which He serves as Son of Man, He is recognizing His pre-incarnate state with the Father. At His Bar Mitzvah at the age of 12, He was presented by His parents at the Temple, and 3 days after being missing asked, “Didn't you know I had to be about My Father's business?” Joseph was His step-father. His true Father was His Heavenly Father, making Him both Son of Man and Son of God.
Then He was born to die! Where Adam as the first man failed and brought the whole human race into a fallen state and separated from God - Jesus, the last Adam - yielded notto temptation, and as a perfect, sinless sacrifice, died on the Cross at Calvary, and reconciled by His Redemption, all who would believe on Him and receive Him - back to God! No wonder the theme of Oswald Chambers for both himself and us is: “Personal, PassionateDevotionto Jesus!
I wrote the following “Seven I Am's of Jesus” back in 1967. With but slight editing, I present them to you again! May we by them become “Overcomers through the Pre-Eminent One!” - J.A.W.
SURVEY VIII. OVERCOMERS THROUGH THE PRE-EMINENT ONE
1. John 6:35 (22-40) THE BREADOF LIFE. “:Jesus said to them, I AM the bread of ;life: who comes unto me shall in nowise hunger, and who believes unto me shall in nowise ever thirst.”
- The Bread, ARtos, 100x, Strong 740.
- The 'breaking of bread' became the name for the institution breaking (not cutting) the loaf at Lord's Supper, Acts 2:43, 20:7; 1 Corinthians 10:16, 11:23.
- Metaphorically, Christ is known as the bread of God, John 6:33, 35.
- George Muller partook of the Word as Soul-food before he prayed.
- Priests ate this bread in type, Bread of Presence, Lev. 24:9.
- We minister the living Word by revelation, Romans 8:14.
2. John 9:5 (1-7) THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. “While I am in the world, I AM Light of the world.”
- Light, phos, 70x - (from PHAo, to shine, Strong 5457.
- Metaphorically, the truth in Christ reaching the mind.
- Natural man is incapable of receiving spiritual light, 1 Co 1:14.
- Believers become 'sons of light' through the New Birth, receiving spiritual capacity for revelation from God, Luke 16:8.
- See Candlestick (Menorah) in Tabernacle: gifts of Spirit for light, 1 Co 12:8-11. (Tongues and Interpretation = Prophecy, explaining the 7-fold light.
3. John 10:9 (7-18) THE DOOR. “I AM the door; by me if any enter, he shall be saved, and shall go in and go out, and find pasture.”
- The Door, THUra, 39x, Strong 2374.
- Metaphorically, of Christ, John 10:7, 9.
- Metaphorically of faith, by acceptance of the Gospel, Acts 14:27.
- Also of entrance into the Kingdom of God, Mt 25:10, Lu 13:24-25.
- Christ's entrance into a repentant believer's heart, Re 3:20.
- Access to behold visions relative to purposes of God, Re 4:1.
4. John 10:11 (7-18) THE SHEPHERD. “I AM the good :shepherd: the good :shepherd lays down his :life for the sheep.”
- The Shepherd, poiMEN, 18x, Strong 4166. See Strong 4165, poiMAIno, 11x, to feed or rule.
- Metaphorically of Christ, Mt 26:31, Mk 14:27, Jn 10:11, 14, 16, He 13:20, 1 Pe 2:25.
- Pastors tend (guide and oversee) as well as feed flock, Acts 10:17, 28.
- It was this service committed to elders (overseers or bishops).
- Jesus Christ alone is the chief shepherd, 1 Pe 5:4.
- Aaron, a type of Christ, faithful over Tabernacle.
- King David shepherded God's people Israel, Ps 23.
5. John 11:25-26 (17-44) THE RESURRECTION. “:Jesus said to her, I AM the resurrection , and the life: who believes unto me shall live, even if he die; 26 and every one who lives and believes unto me shall nowise die unto the age.”
- The Resurrection, aNASta-sis, 42x, Strong 386.
- By metonymy, of Christ as the Author of resurrection.
- Many found in Christ strength and firmness, a means of their salvation and spiritual life, Lu 2:34; but also a stone of offense, causing many in Israel to stumble.
- God made Aaron's budding rod bring forth almonds, symbol of resurrection.
- Christ Jesus raised Lazarus, and will raise us too, 2 Thess 4:13-18.
6. John 14:6 (5-7) THE WAY. “Jesus says to him, I AM the way, and the truth, and the life: no one comes unto the Father, but through me.” (Some, “I AM the true and living way.)
- The Way, hoDOS, 102x, Strong 3598.
- Metaphorically, a course of conduct, or way of thinking.
- The way instructed and approved of God, Ac 18:26, He 3:10.
- Paul's ways in Christ, 1 Co 4:17.
- The more excellent way of love, 1 Co 12:31.
- Personified of Christ as means of access to the Father, Jn 14:6.
- The course followed and characterized by followers of Christ, Ac 9:2, 19:9, 23; 24:22.
- Christ in Tabernacle: Blood-sprinkled mercy seat on the Ark, which led Israel in her goings.
7. John 15:1 (1-16) THE VINE. “I AM the true :vine, and my :Father is the husbandman.”
- The Vine, AMpe-los, 8x, Strong 288.
- Used figuratively of Christ, Jn 15:1, 4, 5.
- A true vine shelters, as 4-fold covering of Tabernacle: badger skins, rams dyed red, goat hairs (humanity), white linen.
- Father prunes branches, as they receive life from the true vine.