1 Timothy 1 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 10:31:30 PDT 2013

Jun 3, 2013

 *NOV 13 - 1 TIMOTHY 1 - COUNSELS AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCES*

 *1. 1:1-2, NNT. PAUL TO TIMOTHY: GRACE, MERCY AND PEACE. “Paul, apostle of
Christ Jesus according to God our Savior’s commandment, and of Christ Jesus
our :hope; 2 to Timothy, genuine child in faith: Grace, mercy, peace, from
God the Father and Christ Jesus our :Lord.” *Because of Your effective call
upon Paul Father, he was able to grant Timothy Your three-fold blessing:
Grace, mercy and peace. And these three are all intimately related with
Your Kingdom! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 1:3-4. PAUL: DOCTRINES TO BE GUARDED. “As I, going into Macedonia,
exhorted you to tarry at Ephesus, that you charge certain men not to teach
otherwise, 4 neither to give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which
minister to questionings, rather than God’s stewardship which is in faith; so
now. **Father, **Your will* is *Your administration* and *government*. *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:5-6 (1:5-11) PAUL: END OF THE CHARGE AND USE OF THE LAW. “But the
end of the charge is love out of a pure heart and good conscience and faith
unfeigned: 6 from which things some having swerved have turned aside unto
vain talking.” *O write these words and truth upon our hearts, Father! Love
flowing out of this three-fold service will *ground* us, *establish* us and
*keep* us from unfruitful ministry. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 1:12-13 (1:12-14) PAUL: PATTERN OF DIVINE GRACE. “I thank him that
enabled me, Christ Jesus our :Lord, that he counted me faithful, appointing
me to service; 13 though I was :before a blasphemer, and persecutor, and
injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.”
Father, we bless You for Jesus!* We thank You for His gracious dealings
with Paul, and His wise understanding of the apostle's background. How just
are His judgments! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 1:15-16. PAUL: CHIEF SINNER AND PATTERN OF LONGSUFFERING. “Faithful
the saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the
world to save sinners; of whom I am chief: 16 howbeit for this cause I
obtained mercy, that in me as chief might Jesus Christ show forth all the
longsuffering, for an example of them that would thereafter believe on him
unto eternal life.” *Your dealings in Christ are all-wise, and full of
grace, Father! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 1:17. PAUL: TO THE GLORY OF GOD. “Now unto the King of the ages,
incorruptible, invisible, only God, honor and glory unto the ages of the
ages. Amen.” *This paeon of praise Paul ascribed to You Father, in the
light of Your dealings of grace on His behalf. *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 1:18-19a (1:18-20) PAUL: CHARGE TO TIMOTHY. “This :charge I commit to
you, Timothy child, according to the prophecies which led the way to you,
that by them you war the good warfare; 19a having faith and a good
conscience.” *We see here the basis of effective warfare (4:14; 2 TIM 1:6;
ROM 1:11; 12:6-8). You impart through hands of man unusual blessings which
enable us to ovecome (HAB 3:4; DEUT 34:9). * But deliver us from the evil
one!*

 *NOTE*: 1:9-10 (1:5-11) *THE TRUE PURPOSE OF THE LAW. “But we know that
the law is good, if one use it lawfully, as knowing that, that law is not
made for a righteouss man, but for lawless and unruly, for ungodly and
sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of
mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, abusers of themselves with
men,menstealerss, liars, false swearers, and if any other thing be contrary
to sound teaching.” *Your saints Father, keep themselves *above* all these,
not requiring the *law*!

 *Quote from George Whitefield - “A true faith in Jesus Christ will not
suffer us to be idle. No, it is an active, lively, restless principle; it
fills the heart, so that it cannot be easy till it is doing something for
Jesus Christ.” *

 *Our Chapter of Proverbs for the Day: 3:5-6 (3) TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL
YOUR HEART. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your
own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make
straight your paths.” *Two favorite verses for many, memorized, and walked
in. * *

 This chapter is one of the most excellent in all this book, both for
argument to persuade us to be religious and for the directions therein. 1.
We must be constant to our duty because that is the way to be happy, 3:1-4.
2. We must live a life of dependence upon God because that is the way to be
safe, 3:5. 3. We must keep up the fear of God because that is the way to be
healthful, 3:7-8. 4. We must serve God with our estates because that is the
way to be rich, 3:9-10. 5. We must bear afflictions well because that is
the way to get good by them, 3:11-12. 6. We must take pains to obtain
wisdom because that is the way to gain her, 3:13-20. 7. We must govern
ourselves by the rules of wisdom, of right reason and religion, because
that is the way to be easy, 3:21-26. 8. We must do all the good we can, and
no hurt, to our neighbors, 3:27-35. *(From “Matthew Henry’s Commentary in
One Volume - Zondervan)*