Esther 6-10

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 12:37:02 PDT 2013

June 1, 2013

 *NOV 12 - ESTHER 6-10 - CRISIS OVERRULED*

 *1. 6:11 (6:1-11, ESV) HAMAN: HIS FALL BEGINS. Haman took the robes and
the horse, and he dressed Mordecai and led him through the square of the
city, proclaiming before him, *

‘*Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor.” *Here
we see the beginning of the end; it is all of Your working Father, and it
is marvelous in our sight. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 6:13 (6:12-14) HAMAN: HIS FALL PREDICTED. And Haman told his wife
Zeresh and all his friends everything that had happened to him. Then his
wise men and his wife Zeresh said to him, “If Mordecai, before whom you
have begun to fall, is of the Jewish people, you will not overcome him but
will surely fall before him.” *What a prophetic word! It parallels the
extraordinary prophecy of wicked Caiaphas (John 11:49-52). Thank You Father
for Mordecai and Esther, who did Your will on earth as it is done in
heaven. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 7:10 (7) HAMAN: POETIC JUSTICE. And the king said, “Hang him on that.”
So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then
the wrath of the king abated. *What poetic justice! Sometimes Your ways of
justice mover very swiftly, Father. But always You are watching over our
total good! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 8:5 (8:1-6) HAMAN’S PLOT REVERSED. Esther rose and stood before the
king. And she said, “If it please the king, and if I have found favor in
his sight, and if the things seems right before the king, and I am pleasing
in his eyes, let an order be written to revoke the letters devised by Haman
the Agagite, the son of Hammedatha, which he wrote to destroy the Jews who
are in all the provinces of the king.” *How marvelous are Your ways, O
Father! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 8:16-17 (5:7-9:19) ESTHER AND MORDECAI: TRIUMPH OVER HAMAN. “The Jews
had light and gladness and joy and honor. 17 And in every province and in
every city, wherever the king’s command and his edict reached, there was
gladness and joy among the Jews, a feast and a holiday. And many from the
peoples of the country declared themselves Jews, for fear of the the Jews
had fallen on them.” *This is the Good News of the Kingdom of God! *You *are
reigning Father through Esther and Mordecai! *And forgive us our :debts, As
we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 9:32 (9:20-32) FEAST OF PURIM INSTITUTED. “The command of Queen Esther
confirmed these practices of Purim, and it was recorded in writing.” *It is
good to see the end of conflict confirmed and sealed. Then the enemy is
completely defeated. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 10:3 (10) AHASUERUS AND MORDECAI. “For Mordecai the Jew was second in
rank to King Ahasuerus, and he was great among the Jews and popular with
the multitude of his brothers, for he sought the welfare of his people and
spoke peace to all his people.” *Joseph, Daniel and Mordecai: three Jews
used to further Your purposes Father, in mighty nations, kingdoms and
empires! But the greatest of all Kingdoms Father, is Yours, and the Power
and the Glory forever.
Amen! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 9:25 (9:20-32) HAMAN’S PLOT BOOMERANGED! **“But when it came
before the king, he gave orders in writing that his evil plan that he had
devised against the Jews should return on his own head, and that he and his
sons should be hanged on the gallows.” *We are not ignorant of Satan’s
devices (2 Corinthians 2:11), nor are You Father; and through us You
overturn them!

 *Quote from Catherine Booth - “If we are to better the future, we must
disturb the present.”*

 *Our Proverb’s Verse for the Day: 1:33 (1) THE CALL OF WISDOM “But whoever
listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of
disaster.” *What a helpful insight for *all* young people!

 *I. A new author, made use of by the Holy Spirit for making known the mind
of God to us, is Solomon; through his hand came this book of Scripture and
the two that follow it, Ecclesiastes and Canticles, a sermon and a song.
Some think he wrote Canticles when he was very young, Proverbs in the midst
of his days, and Ecclesiastes when he was old. 1. He was a king, and a
king's son. The penmen of scripture, hitherto, were most of them men of
rank in the world, as Moses and Joshua, Samuel and David, and now Solomon;
but, after him, the inspired writers were generally poor prophets, men of
no figure in the world, because that dispensation was approaching in which
God would choose the weak and foolish things of the world to confound the
wise and mighty and the poor should be employed to evangelize. Solomon was
a very rich king, and his dominions were very large, and yet he was a
prophet and a prophet’s son. 2. He was one whom God endued with
extraordinary measures of wisdom and knowledge, in answer to his prayers at
his accession to the throne. His prayer was exemplary: Give me a wise and
an understanding heart; the answer to it was encouraging: he had what he
desired and all other things were added to him. 3. He was one who had his
faults, and in his latter end turned aside from those good ways of God. But
let those who are most eminently useful take warning by this not to be
proud or secure; and let us all learn not to think worse of good
instructions though we have them from those who do not themselves
altogether live up to them.*

*II. a new way of writing, in which divine wisdom is taught us by Proverbs,
or short sentences, which contain their whole design within themselves and
are not connected with one another. We have had divine laws,
histories, andsongs,
and now divine proverbs; such various methods has Infinite Wisdom used for
our instruction. Teaching by proverbs was, 1. An ancient way of teaching.
It was the most ancient way among the Greeks; each of the seven wise men of
Greece has some one saying that he valued himself upon, and that made him
famous. These sentences were inscribed on pillars, and had in great
veneration. 2. It was a plain and easy way of teaching. A proverb, which
carries with its sense and its evidence a little compass, is quickly
apprehended and easily retained. 3. It was a very profitable way of
teaching, and served admirably well to answer the end. The world is
governed by proverbs. As says the proverb of the ancients (1 Samuels
24:13), or (as we commonly express it), As the old saying is, goes very far
with most men in forming their notions and fixing their resolves. Some
think we may judge of the temper and character of a nation by the
complexion of its vulgar proverbs. Yet there are many corrupt proverbs,
which tend to debauch men's minds and harden them in sin. The devil has his
proverbs, which reflect reproach on God and religion (as Ezekiel 12:22;
18:2;). These proverbs of Solomon were not merely a collection of the wise
sayings that had been formerly delivered, as some have imagined, but were
the dictates of the Spirit of God in Solomon. The very first of them (ch.
1:7) agrees with what God said to man in the beginning (Job 28:28,Behold,
the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom); so that though Solomon was great,
and his name may serve as much as any man’s to recommend his writings, yet,
behold, a greater than Solomon is here. It is God, by Solomon, that here
speaks to us. The first nine chapters of this book are reckoned as a
preface, by way of exhortation to the study and practice of wisdom’s rules.
We have then the first volume of Solomon’s proverbs (chapters 10-24); after
that a second volume (chapter 25-29); and then Agur’s prophecy (chapter 30)
and Lemuel’s, chapter 31. (From “An Exposition, with Practical
Observations, of THE PROVERBS” by Matthew Henry - New One Volume Edition
COMMENTARY on the Whole Bible, Edited by Rev. Leslie F. Church, 1961,
Zondervan - highly recommended by Wilbur M. Smith. Charles H. Spurgeon
counted Matthew Henry as one of the outstanding Puritan Commentators of the
3 centuries preceding him.*