Ruth 3 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon May 20 10:22:11 PDT 2013

May 20, 2013

 *NOV 4 - RUTH 3 - LOVE’S REQUEST: VIRTUOUS SUPPLIANT*

 *1. 3:1-2a (3:1-2, ESV) NAOMI: CLAIMS RIGHT OF KINSMAN-REDEEMER FOR
RUTH. “Then
Naomi her mother-in-law said to her, ‘My daughter, should I not seek rest
for you, that it may be well with you? 2 Is not Boaz our relative, with
whose young women you were?’” *How marvelous the ways of Your Kingdom,
Father! How bountiful Your Kingdom wisdom! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 3:5 (3:3-5) NAOMI: PLANS KINSMAN-REDEEMER RIGHT FOR RUTH. And Ruth
replied, “All that you say I will do.” *Here it is Father: the same heart
as was in Mary who said to Gabriel, “Be it unto me according to your
R*E*ma-word.
Circumcise our hearts, and give us hearts of flesh. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:6 (3:6-7) RUTH: FOLLOWS THROUGH ON NAOMI’S PLAN. “So Ruth went down
to the threshing floor and did just as her mother-in-law had commanded
her.” *It isn’t enough to say, “Yes!” We must follow through like Ruth, and
act upon our resolution. Then You find pleasure in us, Father! *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 3:9 (3:8-9) RUTH: PRESENTS OBLIGATION OF KINSMAN-REDEEMER. Boaz said,
“Who are you?” And she answered, “I am Ruth, your servant. Spread your
wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer.” *What marvelous
understanding and obedience and faith on the part of Ruth! *Our :daily
:bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 3:13 (3:10-13) BOAZ: PROMISES RUTH HIS HELP. “Remain tonight, and in
the morning, if he will redeem you, good; let him do it. But if he is not
willing to redeem you, then, as the LORD lives, I will redeem you. Lie down
until the morning.” *Father, You were with Ruth in the time of the testing
of her faith! You made her an ancestress of King David and his greater son,
Jesus! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:14 (3:14-15) BOAZ: PRESENTS RUTH WITH A GIFT. “So Ruth lay at his
feet until the morning, but arose before one could recognize another. And
he said, ‘Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.’”
*We see the wisdom of Boaz. He allowed no occasion for misunderstanding. He
avoided all appearance of evil. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 3:18 (3:16-18) NAOMI: COUNSELS PATIENCE FOR RUTH. Naomi replied,
“Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out, for the man
will not rest but will settle the matter today.” *Now Naomi is restored to
full faith. The years the locusts have eaten have been restored. Your
Sovereign workings on her behalf have convinced her, Father! *But deliver
us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 3:11 (3:10-13) THE COMPLETELY SATISFACTORY ASSURANCE OF BOAZ. **“And
now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you all that you ask, for all
my fellow townsmen know that you are a worthy woman.” *The leaders and the
elders of the city sit in the Gate. Ruth has received a testimony of virtue
from the highest in the land. For Your sake Father, we would have the same
testimony.

 *Quote from Dr. Martin Lloyd Jones - *“Prayer is the highest activity of
the human soul, and therefore it is at the same time the ultimate test of a
man’s true spiritual condition (there is nothing so much as prayer life
that tells the truth about us as Christian people). Everything we do in the
Christ life is easier than prayer.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 124:6-8 (124) OUR HELP IS IN THE NAME OF THE
LORD. “Blessed
be the LORD, who has not given us as prey to their teeth! 7 We have escaped
like a bird from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have
escaped. 8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.”
*Your deliverance Father, is right at hand in the midst of extremity. *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 124:1. *If it had not been the Lord Who was on our side, now may Israel
say. *We murmur without being stirred up to it, but our thanksgiving needs
a spur, and it is well when some warm-hearted friend bids us say what we
feel. Imagine what would have happened if the Lord had left us, and then
see what has happened because He has been faithful to us.

 124:2. *If it had not been the Lord Who was on our side, when men rose up
against us. *There is no doubt as to our Deliverer; we cannot ascribe our
salvation less than Omnipotence and Omniscience could have wrought our
rescue. We set every other claimant on one side and rejoice because the
Lord was on our side.

 124:3. *Then they had swallowed us up quick, when their wrath was kindled
against us. *They were so eager for our destruction that they would have
made only one morsel of us and have swallowed us up alive and whole in a
single instant. The fury of the enemies of the church is raised to the
highest pitch; nothing will content them but the total annihilation of
God’s chosen. Their wrath is like a fire which is kindled and has taken
such firm hold upon the fuel that there is no quenching it. Anger is never
more fiery than when the people of God are its objects. Sparks become
flames, and the furnace is heated seven times hotter when God’s elect are
to be thrust into the blaze.

 124:4. *The stream has gone over our soul. *When the world’s enmity
obtains a vent it both rises and rushes, it rages and rolls along, and
spares nothing. In the great water-floods of persecution and affliction,
who can help but Jehovah? But for Him where would we be at this very hour?
We have experienced seasons in which the combined forces of earth and hell
must have made an end of us had not omnipotent grace interfered for our
rescue.

 124:7. *Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowler. ** *
Fowlers have methods of taking small birds, and Satan has many methods of
entrapping souls. Some are decoyed by evil companions; others are enticed
by the love of dainties; hunger drives many into the trap, and fright
impels numbers to fly into the net. Fowlers know their birds and how to
take them; but the birds see the snare so as to avoid it, and they cannot
break it so as to escape from it. Happy is the bird that has a deliverer
strong, and mighty, and ready in the moment of peril: happier still is the
soul over which the Lord watches day and night to pluck its feet out of the
net. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O.
Fuller)*