Ruth 4 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue May 21 11:18:12 PDT 2013

May 21, 2013

 *NOV 5 - RUTH 4 - LOVE’S REWARD: BELOVED WIFE AND MOTHER*

 *1. 4:1 (4:1-2, ESV) BOAZ: GAINS WITNESSES FOR THE TRANSACTION. “Now Boaz
had gone up to the gate and sat down there. And behold, the redeemer, of
whom Boaz had spoken, came by. So Boaz said, ‘Turn aside, friend; sit down
here.’ And he turned aside and sat down.” *Kingdom business requires
Kingdom diligence. How we bless You Father, for the example of Boaz. May we
too show the same diligence for Kingdom matters! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 4:6 (4:3-6) BOAZ: ELIMINATES THE NEARER KINSMAN. Then the redeemer
said, “I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I impair my own inheritance.
Take my right of redemption yourself, for I cannot redeem it.” *This almost
sounds like a chess game. Point by point Boaz moves forward; move by move
he makes. He was careful to do Your will, Father. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 4:8 (4:7-8) BOAZ: RECEIVES THE KINSMAN’S SANDAL. So when the redeemer
said to Boaz, “Buy it for yourself.” he drew off his sandal.” *Move by move
Your purposes continue, Father! How sovereignly, wisely and inexorably Your
will comes to pass! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 4:9. BOAZ: REDEEMS ELIMELECH’S INHERITANCE. Then Boaz said to the
elders and all the people, “You are witnesses this day that I have bought
from the hand of Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech and all that belonged
to Chilion and to Mahlon.” *Nothing was left to chance. Boaz had arranged
for the ten witnesses. He did all things decently and in order. You and
Your Kingdom deserve our best, Father. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 4:10. BOAZ: PURCHASES RUTH. “Also Ruth the Moabite, the widow of
Mahlon, I have bought to be my wife, to perpetuate the name of the dead in
his inheritance, that the name of the dead may not be cut off from among
his brothers and from the gate of his native place. You are witnesses this
day.” *Move by move You continue to mastermind Your purposes, Father! We
marvel at the greatness of Your wisdom and Sovereignty! *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 4:11 (4:11-12) BOAZ: BLESSED BY TEN WITNESSES. Then all the people who
were at the gate and the elders said, “We are witnesses. May the LORD make
the woman, who is coming into your house, like Rachel and Leah, who
together built up the house of Israel. May you act worthily in Ephrathah
and be renowned in Bethlehem.” *We hear this blessing, Father! *And bring
us not into temptation!*

 *7. 4:14-15 (4:13-22) BOAZ: BLESSED WITH RUTH THROUGH DAVID. Then the
women said to Naomi, “Blessed be the LORD, who has not left you this day
without a redeemer, and may his name be renowned in Israel! 15 He shall be
to you a restorer of life and a nourisher of your old age, for your
daughter-in-law who loves you, who is more to you than seven sons, has
given birth to him.” *What a proclamation of faithfulness to You, Father! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 4:17 (4:13-22) OBED: GRANDFATHER OF DAVID! **And the women of the
neighborhood gave him a name, saying, “A son has been born to Naomi.”
Theynamed him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.
*What a testimony, and conclusion of the matter! How Your Name is glorified
in it all, O Great Jehovah Father!

 *Quote by Smith Wigglesworth: *“I am not moved by what I see. I am not
moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 125:1-2 (125) THE LORD SURROUNDS HIS PEOPLE. “Those
who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but
abides forever. 2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD
surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore.” *Hallelujah!
You Father, are a stronger defense for us than the mountains about
Jerusalem. What a comfort! We rest in this truth! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 Faith has praised Jehovah for past deliverances, and here she rises to a
confident joy in the present and future safety of believers. She asserts
that they shall forever be secure who trust themselves with the Lord. We
can imagine the pilgrims chanting this song when perambulating the city
walls. We do not assert that David wrote this Psalm, but we have as much
ground for doing so as others for declaring that it was written after the
captivity. It would seem probable that all the Pilgrim Psalms were
composed, or at least compiled by the same writer, and as some of them are
certainly by David, there is no conclusive reason for taking away the rest
from him.

 125:1. *They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion. *What a
privilege to be allowed to repose in God! How condescending is Jehovah to
become the confidence of His people! To trust elsewhere is vanity; and the
more implicit such misplaced trust becomes, the more bitter will be the
ensuing disappointment; its result shall be its best vindication.

 125:2. *As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the Lord is round
about His people from henceforth even forever. * What a double security the
two verses set before us! First, we are established and then entrenched;
settled, and then sentineled; made like a mount, and then protected as if
by mountains. This is no matter of poetry; it is so in fact; and it is no
matter of temporary privilege, but it shall be so forever. The two verses
together prove the eternal safety of the saints: they must abide where God
has placed them, and God must forever protect them from all evil. It would
be difficult to imagine greater safety than is here set forth.

 125:3. *For the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the
righteous. *The people of God are not to expect immunity from trial because
the Lord surrounds them, for they may feel the power and persecution of the
ungodly. Isaac, even in Abraham’s family, was mocked by Ishmael. Assyria
laid its scepter even upon Zion itself. The graceless often bear rule and
wield the rod; and when they do so they are pretty sure to make it fall
heavily upon the Lord’s believing people, so that the godly cry out by
reason of their oppressors. Egypt’s rod was exceeding heavy upon Israel,
but the time came for it to be broken. God has set a limit to the woes of
His chosen: the rod may light on their portion, but it shall not *rest*upon it.

 125:5. *As for such as turn aside unto their crooked ways, the Lord shall
le**a**d them forth with the workers of iniquity.* Two kinds of men are
always to be found - the upright and the men of crooked ways. Alas, there
are some who pass from one class to another, not by a happy conversion,
turning from the twisting lanes of deceit into the highway of truth, but by
an unhappy declension leaving the main road of honesty and holiness for the
by-paths of wickedness. Such apostates have been seen in all ages, and
David knew enough of them; he could never forget Saul, and Ahithophel, and
others. How sad that men who once walked in the right way should turn aside
from it! All sin will one day be expelled from the universe, even as
criminals condemned to die are led out of the city; then shall secret
traitors find themselves ejected with open rebels. Divine truth will unveil
their hidden pursuits, and lead them forth, and to the surprise of many
they shall be set in the same rank with those who avowedly wrought
iniquity. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O.
Fuller)** *