Ruth 2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat May 18 11:07:40 PDT 2013

May 18, 2013

 *NOV 3 - RUTH 2 - LOVE’S RESPONSE: MOABITESS GLEANER*

 *1. 2:1 (ESV) BOAZ: THE KINSMAN. “Now Naomi had a relative of her
husband's, a worthy man of the clan of Elimelech, whose name was Boaz.” *How
marvelous are Your providential plannings, O Father! How Boaz illustrates
this! How he shows Your Sovereignty as it applies to *all* of us. We submit
to Your benign rule. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 2:3 (2:2-3) RUTH: THE GLEANER. “So she set out and went and gleaned in
the field after the reapers, and she happened to come to the part of the
field belonging to Boaz, who was of the clan of Elimelech.” *Happenstance?
Or Providential arrangement? We prefer to believe the latter, Father! With *
You* there are no second causes! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:5-6 (2:4-7) BOAZ: INQUIRES CONCERNING RUTH. “Then Boaz said to his
young man who was in charge of the reapers, ‘Whose young woman is this?’” 6 And
the servant who was in charge of the reapers answered, “She is the young
Moabite woman, who came back with Naomi from the country of Moab.” *Provision
is at hand, arranged by You, Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth!*

 *4. 2:12 (2:8-14) RUTH: WINS FAVOR OF BOAZ. “The LORD repay you for what
you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of
Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!” *O Your
graciousness Father, as realized through Boaz! May we ever remember Your *
faithfulness* as manifested to Naomi and Ruth! *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day.*

 *5. 2:15-16. BOAZ: PROVIDES FOR RUTH. “When Ruth rose to glean, Boaz
instructed his young men, saying, ‘Let her glean even among the sheaves,
and do not reproach her. 16 And also pull out some from the bundles for her
and leave it for her to glean, and do not rebuke her.” *We are shamed when
we find ourselves doubting You, Father! *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:18 (2:17-18) RUTH: SUPPORTS NAOMI. “And she took it up and went into
the city. Her mother-in-law saw what she had gleaned. She also brought out
and gave her what food she had left over after being satisfied.” *When we
put You first Father, as did Ruth on Naomi’s behalf, You providentially
move heaven and earth to meet our needs! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:22 (2:19-23) NAOMI: GUIDES RUTH. “And Naomi said to Ruth, her
daughter-in-law, ‘It is good, my daughter, that you go out with his young
women, lest in another field you be assaulted.’” *Hope is returning to
Naomi’s heart, and wisdom is flowing as she guides Ruth. Thank God, that He
can magnify us for our works! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE*:* 2:20 (2:19-23) NAOMI: REVEALS TO RUTH GOD’S PROVIDENCE! And Naomi
said to her daughter-in-law, “May he be blessed by the LORD, whose kindness
has not forsaken the living or the dead!” Naomi also said to her, “The man
is a close relative of ours, one of our redeemers.” *Naomi recognizes Your
hand Father, and magnifies You!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quote (1834-1892) - *“If you love anything better than God
you are idolaters: if there is anything you would not give up for God it is
your idol: if there is anything that you seek with greater fervor than you
seek the glory of God, that is your idol, and conversion means a turning
from every idol.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 123:2 (123) OUR EYES LOOK TO THE LORD OUR
GOD. “Behold,
as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a
maidservant to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our
God, till he has mercy upon us.” *In the midst of persecution and contempt,
we look upon *You*, Father! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Title: “A Song of Degrees.” *It has been conjectured that this brief song,
or rather sigh, may have first been heard in the days of Nehemiah or under
the persecutions of Antiochus. It may be so, but there is no evidence of
it; it seems to us quite as probable that afflicted ones in all periods
after David’s time found this Psalm ready to their hand. If it appears to
describe days remote from David, it is all the more evident that the
Psalmist was also a prophet and sang what he saw in vision.

 123:3. *For we are exceedingly filled with contempt.* A little contempt
they could bear, but now they were satisfied with it and weary of it. Do we
wonder at the threefold mention of mercy when this master evil was in the
ascendant? Nothing is more wounding, embittering, festering than disdain.
When our companions make little of us, we are far too apt to make little of
ourselves and of the consolations prepared for us. Oh, to be filled with
communion, and then contempt will run off from us and never be able to fill
us with its biting vinegar.

 124:4. *Our soul is exceeding filled with the scorning of those that are
at ease. *They are in easy circumstances; they are easy in heart through a
deadened conscience, and so they easily come to mock at holiness; they are
easy from needing nothing, and from having no severe toil exacted from
them; they are easy as to any anxiety to improve, for their conceit of
themselves is boundless. *And with the contempt of the proud. *Pride is
both contemptible and contemptuous. The contempt of the great ones of the
earth is often peculiarly acrid: some of them, like a well known statesman,
are “masters of gibes and flouts and sneers,” and never do they seem so
much at home in their acrimony as when a servant of the Lord is the victim
of their venom. It is easy enough to write upon this subject, but to be
selected as the target of contempt is quite another matter. Great hearts
have been broken and brave spirits have been withered beneath the accursed
power of falsehood, and the horrible blight of contempt. For our comfort we
may remember that our divine Lord was despised and rejected of men, yet He
ceased not from His perfect service till He was exalted to dwell in the
heavens. Let us bear our share of this evil which still rages under the
sun, and let us firmly believe that the contempt of the ungodly shall turn
to our honor in the world to come: even now it serves as a certificate that
we are not of the world, for if we were of the world, the world would love
us as its own. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Schofield, abridged
by D.O. Fuller)*