Obadiah - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 09:10:04 PST 2013

March 7, 2013

 *SEP 17 - OBADIAH: PROPHET OF POETIC JUSTICE*

 *1. 1. (ESV) EDOM: THE WORD OF JEHOVAH. “Thus says the Lord GOD concerning
Edom: We have heard a report from the LORD, and a messenger has been sent
among the nations: ‘Rise up! Let us rise against her for battle!’” *Though
You delay Your judgments from our point of view Father, they are really
right on divine schedule! You use nations to judge a nation! *Hallowed be
your :name.*

 *2. 2. EDOM: HER SMALL ESTATE. “Behold, I will make you small among the
nations; you shall be utterly despised.” *A big frog in a little puddle is
bloated in false-esteem. From heaven’s point of view we are all as nothing.
O purge from us the deception and delusion of Edom. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3 (3-9) EDOM: HER OVER-WEANING PRIDE. “The pride of your heart has
deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rock, in your lofty
dwelling, who say in your heart, ‘Who shall bring me down to the ground?’” *The
first sin of Satan (Lucifer) is so often our first sin also! How can we
become so self-deceived? How different from the spirit of Jesus! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 10 (10-14) EDOM: HER UNPARDONABLE SIN. “Because of the violence done
to your brother Jacob, shame shall cover you, and you shall be cut off
forever.” *Teach us Father, that we are our brother’s keeper! Hold us back
from the sin of Cain! Show us that we can break the power of sin by
receiving Jesus as our *sin*-offering! Forgive us for seeking to get around
our responsibilities and avoiding Your way of Salvation! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day!*

 *5. 15 (15-16) EDOM: IN THE DAY OF THE LORD. “For the day of the LORD is
near upon all the nations. As you have done, it shall be done to you; your
deeds shall return on your own head.” *Your judgments Father, are just and
righteous altogether. We remember Adoni-bezek (Judges 1:5-7)! *And forgive
us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 17 (17-18) EDOM: HER EXTERMINATION. “But in Mount Zion there shall be
those who escape, and it shall be holy, and the house of Jacob shall
possess their own possessions.” *This will be true for Your Church also
Father, in the last days. And as this Millennium ends, we are in the last
days. We are in the end of the 120th Jubilee! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 21 (19-21) ISRAEL: HER RESTORATION. “Saviors shall go up to Mount Zion
to rule Mount Esau, and the kingdom shall be the LORD’s.” *O God our
Father, *Great* is Your faithfulness, and *Great* is the faithfulness of
Your Word! You and Your Word are *one* (John 1:1)! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Afflictions and Education” - *Some of you
people of God, when you get bitter waters, want to throw them away. Do not
throw a drop of it away, for that is the water you have yet to drink.
Accept your afflictions. They are a part of your education.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 77:10-11 (77). IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE I SEEK THE
LORD. “Then I said, ‘I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand
of the Most High’. 11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will
remember your wonders of old.” *Your deliverance at the Red Sea was great;
Your restoration of Israel to their land was greater; Salvation through
Jesus was a greater deliverance yet; but the restitution of all things at
Jesus’ second coming shall supersede them all, Father! The Feast of
Tabernacles! *77:19-20. “Your way was through the sea, your path through
the great waters; yet your footprints were unseen. 20 You led your people
like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.” *There is much of mystery,
awe and grandeur about You, O Jehovah Father, Great God of Might! We
tremble at Your presence and Word; Your fear grips our heart, and we *Hallow
Your :name!*

 “*A Psalm of Asaph.” *Asaph was a man of exercised mind and often touched
the minor key; he was thoughtful, contemplative, believing, but withal
there was a dash of sadness about him and this imparted a tonic flavor to
his songs.

 77:1. *I cried unto God with my voice.* This Psalm has much sadness in it,
but we may be sure it will end well, for it begins with prayer, and prayer
never has an ill issue. Asaph did not run to man but to the Lord, and to
Him he went, not with studied, stately, stilted words, but with a cry, the
natural, unaffected, unfeigned expression of pain. He used his voice also,
for though vocal utterance is not necessary to the life of prayer it often
seems forced upon us by the energy of our desires. Sometimes the soul feels
compelled to use the voice, for thus it finds a freer vent for its agony.
It is a comfort to hear the alarm-bell ringing when the house is invaded by
thieves.

 77:6. *I call to remembrance my song in the night.* He did not cease from
introspection, for he was resolved to find the bottom of his sorrow and
trace it to its fountain-head. He made sure work of it by talking, not with
his mind only, but with his inmost heart; it was heart work with him. He
was no idler, no melancholy trifler; he was up and at it, resolutely
resolved that he would not tamely die of despair but would fight for his
hope to the last moment of life.

 77:10. *And I said, This is my infirmity. *He has won the day; he talks
reasonably now and surveys the field with a cooler mind. He confesses that
unbelief is an infirmity, a weakness, a folly, a sin. He may also be
understood to mean, “This is my appointed sorrow,” I will bear it without
complaint. When we perceive that our affliction is meted out by the Lord
and is the ordained portion of our cup, we become reconciled to it and no
longer rebel against the inevitable. Why should we not be content if it be
the Lord’s will? What He arranges, it is not for us to cavil at.

 77:11. *I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember Your
wonders of old. *Whatever else may glide into oblivion, the marvelous works
of the Lord in the ancient days must not be suffered to be forgotten.
Memory is a fit handmaid for faith. When faith has its seven years of
famine, memory like Joseph in Egypt opens her granaries.

 77:20. *You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and
Aaron.*What a transition from tempest to peace, for wrath to love!
Quietly as a
flock, Israel was guided on, by human agency which veiled the excessive
glory of the divine presence. The smiter of Egypt was the shepherd of
Israel. He drove His foes before Him but went before His people. Heaven and
earth fought on His side against the sons of Ham, but they were equally
subservient to the interests of the sons of Jacob. Therefore, with devout
joy and full of consolation, we close this Psalm; the song of one who
forgot how to speak and yet learned to sing far more sweetly than his
fellows. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O.
Fuller)*