Philippians 1 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 10:25:07 PST 2013

March 8, 2013

 *SEP 18 - PHILIPPIANS 1 - RELATIONSHIP OF GOSPEL TO SUFFERING*

 *1. 1:1-2, (NNT). PAUL AND TIMOTHY: TO OVERSEERS AND DEACONS. “Paul and
Timothy bondmen of Christ Jesus, to all the saints in Christ Jesus that are
at Philippi, with overseers and deacons: 2 Grace to you and peace from God
our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” *We love Your servants, Father! We
love their heart expression! We see Your heart manifested through Paul’s
heart. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:6 (1:3-8) PAUL: BASIS FOR HIS THANKSGIVING. “Confident of this very
thing, that he who began a good work in you will perfect it unto Jesus
Christ’s day.” *What comfort! What confidence! What a basis for hope and
faith! We will end up like Jesus! We will be like Him! Already He is *living
* and *growing* in us. Soon He will be fully manifested through us. *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:9-11. PAUL: NATURE OF HIS PRAYER. “And this I pray, that your :love
abound yet more and more in knowledge and all discernment; 10 so that you
may approve the things excellent; that you be sincere and void of offense
unto Christ’s day; 11 filled with fruit of righteousness, which is through
Jesus Christ, unto God’s praise and glory.” * We believe for the
fulfillment of Paul’s prayer, Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 1:12 (1:12-14) PAUL: HIS BONDS OVERRULED. “Now I would have you know,
brethren, that the happenings unto me have come out rather unto progress of
the gospel.” *Forgive us Father, for ever doubting the wisdom of Your
Providential dealings and circumstances. *All* things work together for
good to those in You, and walking in Your love! *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day!*

 *5. 1:20 (1:15-20) PAUL: REJOICES IN ALL WHO PREACH CHRIST. “According to
my earnest :expectation and hope, that in nothing shall I be shamed, but
with all boldness, as always, now also Christ shall be magnified in my
:body, whether by life, or by death.” *Paul’s faith didn’t take him out of
prison, nor cause him to escape martyrdom. For Paul’s faith was
*Jesus’*faith, and he walked in
*Your will* Father, and You walked with him in his testing! *And forgive us
our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 1:21 (1:21-26) PAUL: HIS DELEMMA. “For to me :to live is Christ, and
to :die gain.” *What victory! What overcoming! What can Satan do with a
saint who walks on this level? All he can do is be greatly cast down, as He
watches You Father, overcome through Your saints! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 1:29 (1:27-30) PAUL: EXHORTATION TO SUFFER. “Because to you it has
been granted in the behalf of Christ, not only :to believe unto him, but
also :to suffer in his behalf.” *This Father, is the glory of all saints! O
may we not be deluded by a partial Gospel, and seek to escape the path
thatJesus and Paul and all the saints have trod! May American culture
not
infiltrate the Gospel, but may we always let *Your* pattern have
precedence! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:23-24 (1:21-26) PAUL: HIS DECISION OF GRACE. **“But I am in a
strait betwixt the two, having the desire :to depart and be with Christ;
for it is very far better: 24 yet to abide in the flesh is more needful for
you.” *Plant this heavenly spirit in each of us, Father!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Angels Are Humble!” *The angels in heaven are
humble because they remember who made them and kept them angels, for they
would have been devils in hell if God had not preserved them in their first
estate.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 78:72 (78, ESV) TELL THE COMING GENERATION. “With
upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with his skillful
hand.” *Integrity!
Yes, this is You too Father, who guards us from false enthusiasm and
deception! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 78:1. *Give ear, O my people, to My law: incline your ears to the words of
My mouth.* When God gives His truth a tongue and sends forth His messengers
trained to declare His word with power, it is the least we can do to give
them our ears and the earnest obedience of our hearts. As the officer of an
army commences his drill by calling for “attention,” even so every trained
soldier of Christ is called upon to give ear to His words. Men lend their
ears to music; how much more then should they listen to the harmonies of
the gospel; they sit enthralled in the presence of an orator; how much
rather should they yield to the eloquence of heaven!

 78:2. *I will utter dark sayings of old*; enigmas of antiquity, riddles of
yore. The mind of the poet-prophet was so full of ancient lore that he
poured it forth in a copious stream of song, while beneath the gushing
flood lay pearls and gems of spiritual truth capable of enriching those who
could dive into the depths and bring them up. The letter of this song is
precious, but the inner sense is beyond all price. Whereas the first verse
called for attention, the second justifies the demand by hinting that the
outer sense conceals an inner and hidden meaning, which only the thoughtful
will be able to perceive.

 78:14. *And all the night with a light of fire. *So constant was the care
of the Great Shepherd that all night and every night the token of His presence
was with His people. That cloud which was a shade by day was as a sun by
night. Even thus the grace which cools and calms our joys, soothes and
solaces our sorrows. What a mercy to have a light of fire with us amid the
lonely horrors of the wilderness of affliction. Our God has been all this
to us, and shall we prove unfaithful to Him? We have felt Him to be both
shade and light, according as our changing circumstances have required.

 78:18. *And they tempted God in their heart. *He was not tempted, for He
cannot be tempted by any, but they acted in a manner calculated to tempt
Him, and it is always just to charge that upon men which is the obvious
tendency of their conduct.  Christ cannot die again, and yet many crucify
Him afresh, because such would be the legitimate result of their behavior
if its effects were not prevented by other forces. The sinners in the
wilderness would have had the Lord change His wise proceedings to humor
their whims, hence they are said to tempt Him.

 78:32. *For all this they sinned still, and believed not for His wondrous
works. *Continuance in sin and in unbelief go together. Had they believed
they would not have sinned, had they not been blinded by sin they would
have believed. There is a reflex action between faith and character. How
can the lover of sin believe? How, on the other hand, can the unbeliever
cease from sin? God’s ways with us in providence are in themselves both
convincing and converting, but unrenewed nature refuses to be either
convinced or converted by them.

 78:41. *And limited the Holy One of Israel. *Doubted His power and so
limited Him, dictated to His wisdom, and so did the same. To chalk out a
path for God is arrogant impiety. The Holy One must do right, the covenant
God of Israel must be true, it is profanity itself to say unto Him You
shall do this or that, or otherwise I will not worship You. Not thus is the
eternal God to be led by a string by His impotent creature. He is the Lord,
and He will do as seems good to Him.

 78:57. *And dealt unfaithfully like their fathers, *proving themselves
legitimate by manifesting the treachery of their sires. They were a new
generation, but not a new nation - another race yet not another. Evil
propensities are transmitted; the birth follows the progenitor; the wild
ass breed wild asses; the children of the raven fly to the carrion. Human
nature does not improve; the new editions contain all the errata of the
first, and sometimes fresh errors are imported. *(From “The Treasury of
David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*