Ephesians 2:11-2:21

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:34:35 PST 2013

February 19, 2013

 *SEP 6 - EPHESIANS 2:11-3:21 - REVELATION: THE MYSTERY CHURCH*

 *1. 2:12 (2:11-12, NNT) CHURCH: ONCE UNATTAINABLE FOR NATIONS. “that you
were at that :season apart from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of
:Israel, and strangers to the covenants of the promise, having no hope and
without God in the world.” *You have Sovereignly set Israel aside
temporarily Father, until the fullness of Gentiles is grafted into Your
Tree of Life. Today in the Church, Jew and Gentile are one. *Hallowed be
your :name.*

 *2. 2:13. CHURCH: MADE POSSIBLE FOR NATIONS THROUGH CHRIST. “But now in
Christ Jesus you that once were far off are become nigh in the blood of the
Christ.” **Reconciliation*: through the blood of Your Son, Father! Then
alive in the Holy Spirit! First the blood; then the oil! *Your :kingdom
come.*

 *3. 2:14-15 (2:14-18) CHURCH: BOTH JEW AND NATIONS RECONCILED IN CHRIST. For
HE is our :peace, who made :both one, and broke down the middle wall of the
partition, 15 having abolished in his :flesh the enmity, the law of the
commandments contained in ordinances; that he might create in himself of
the two one new man, making peace;” *Father, You have made Jesus our peace,
reconciling both Jew and Gentile in Himself. *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:19-20 (2:19-22) CHURCH: FOUNDED ON APOSTLES AND PROPHETS. “So then
you are no more strangers and sojourners, but are fellow-citizens with the
saints, and of :God’s household, 20 being built upon the foundation of the
apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being chief corner stone;” *What
grace, Father! *Jesus*, the chief cornerstone, builds Jew and Gentile
together into *one* holy habitation for God! We all share in the Covenant
of God. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 3:10-11 (3:1-13) CHURCH MYSTERY: NATIONS FELLOW-HEIRS WITH JEWS. “in
order that now unto the principalities and the powers in the heavenlies be
made known through the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11 according to a
plan of the ages which he made in the Christ, Jesus our Lord:” *Father,
Satan and all his princes and demons shall know Your wisdom through us,
Your Church! You will not suffer them to tempt us above what we are able to
bear, but will make a way of escape for us. *And forgive us our :debts, As
we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:14-15 (3:14-19) CHURCH: INDWELT BY FULLNESS OF GOD. “For this cause
I bow my :knees unto the Father, 15 from whom all fatherhood in heavens and
on the earth is named.”*

What power You manifest on our behalf, Father. *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 3:20-21. CHURCH: CUSTODIAN OF GOD’S GLORY IN CHRIST. **“**Now to the **
one** able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that works in us, **21 **to him the glory in the
church and in Christ Jesus unto all the generations of the age of the ages.
Amen.” *Our hearts are dumb Father, before such a revelation of grace! *But
deliver us from the evil **one!*

 *NOTE**: 3:16-19. CHURCH: THE REVELATION GOD EXPECTS US TO ENVISION! **“That
he give you, according to the riches of his :glory, to be made mighty
through his :Spirit unto the inward man; **17 **that the Christ dwell in
your :hearts through :faith in love, rooted and grounded, **18 **so that
you be strong to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length
and depth and height, **19 **and to know the love of the Christ which
passes :knowledge, that you be filled unto all the fullness of :God.” *The
close of the second great prayer of Paul in Ephesians.

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “The Atonement is Essential”. *What the sun is to
the heavens, that the doctrine of a vicarious satisfaction is to theology.
Atonement is the brain and spinal cord of Christianity. Take away the
cleansing blood, and what is left to the guilty? Deny the substitutionary
work of Jesus, and you have denied all that is precious in the New
Testament.

 *Our Psalm of the Day: 66:12 (66) HOW AWESOME ARE YOUR DEEDS. “You let men
ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have
brought us out to a place of abundance.” *Father, we choose to loose Your
Niagara Falls through our lives, removing every hindrance because of
Christ’s Redemption! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 He has need to be a man of great skill, worthily to sing such a Psalm as
this: the best music in the world would be honored by marriage with such
expressions. We do not know who is its author, but we see no reason to
doubt that David wrote it!

 66:1. *Make a joyful noise unto God, all you lands. *We need not so much no
ise as *joyful* noise. God is to be praised with the voice, and the heart
should go therein with holy exultation All praise from all nations should
be rendered unto the Lord. Happy the day when no shouts shall be presented
to Juggernaut or Boodh, but all the earth shall adore its Creator.

 66:3. * Say unto God. *Devotion, unless it be resolutely directed to the
Lord, is no better than whistling to the wind. *Through the greatness of
Your power shall Your enemies submit themselves unto You. *Power brings a
man to his knee, but love alone wins his heart. Pharaoh said he would let
Israel go, but he lied unto God; he submitted in word but not in deed. Tens
of thousands, both in earth and hell, are rendering this constrained homage
to the Almighty; they only submit because they cannot do otherwise; it is
not their loyalty, but His power which keeps them subjects of his boundless
dominion.

 66:10. *For You, O God, have proved us. *God had one Son without sin, but
He never had a son without trial. The day may come when we shall make hymns
out of our grief and sing all the more sweetly because our mouths have been
purified with bitter draughts.

 66:12. *We went through fire and water. *The fires of the brick-kiln and
the waters of the Nile did their worst to destroy the chosen race; hard
labor and child-murder were both tried by this tyrant, but Israel went
through both ordeals unharmed, and even thus the church of God has
outlived, and will outlive, all the artifices and cruelties of man. The
fire is not kindled which can burn the woman's seed, neither does the
dragon know how to vomit a flood which shall suffice to drown it.

 66:18. *If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me. *Nothing
hinders prayer like iniquity harbored in the breast; as with Cain, so with
us - sin lies at the door, and blocks the passage. If you listen to the
devil, God will not listen to you. If you refuse to hear God’s commands, He
will surely refuse to hear your prayers. An imperfect petition God will
hear for Christ’s sake, but not one which is willfully miswritten by a
traitor’s hand. For God to accept our devotions while we are delighting in
sin would be to make Himself the God of hypocrites, which is a fitter name
for Satan than for the Holy One of Israel. *(From “The Treasury of David”
by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*