Ephesians 1:1-15-2:10 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:06:38 PST 2013

<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

 *SEP 5 - EPHESIANS 1:15-2:10 - VISION MOTIVATES*

 *1. 1:17-18 (1:15-18, NNT) VISION OF OUR VALUE IN GOD’S EYES. “that the
God of our :Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of the glory, give you a spirit
of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of him; 18 having the eyes of the
heart :enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of his :calling,
what the riches of the glory of his :inheritance in the saints.” *We wait
upon Your Kingdom Father, the revelation of Jesus Christ through the Holy
Spirit. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:19-20 (1:19-23) VISION OF CHRIST AND HIS POWER. “and what the
exceeding greatness of his :power toward us who believe, according to that
working of the strength of his :might 20 which we worked in the Christ,
when he raised him for the dead, and made him to sit at his right in the
heavenlies.” *We submit to your purpose Father, even as You have revealed
it by Your Spirit through Paul. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 2:3 (2:1-3) VISION: OUR FORMER CONDITION. “Among whom we also all once
lived in the lusts of our :flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the
thoughts, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.” *Father,
You have lifted us *all* out of a miry pit, and set out feet on a solid
Rock, even Christ Jesus our Lord! In Him You meet *all* of our spiritual
needs! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:4-5. VISION: GOD HAS MADE US ALIVE IN CHRIST. “But :God, being rich
in mercy, for his great :love which which he loved us, 5 even when we were
dead through the trespasses made us live together with the Christ (by grace
have you been saved),” *Forgiveness belongs unto You Father. We were dead
in sin and trespasses, but now in Christ we are alive! Praise be unto you,
O Lord! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:6-7. VISION: WE ARE WITH CHRIST ON HIS THRONE! “and raised us up
with him, and made us to sit with him in the heavenlies, in Christ
Jesus: 7 that
in the ages :to come he might show the exceeding riches of his :grace in
kindness toward us in Christ Jesus:” *Our hearts are overwhelmed at such
grace! Who are we that You should in Christ lavish such mercy and grace
upon us? *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:8-9. VISION: SALVATION IS ALL OF GRACE. “for by :grace have you been
saved through faith; and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not
of works that no one should glory.” *Sovereign Grace: *This* is Your gift
Father, and this is our *heritage* in Christ. We are of all people least
deserving. But *You* have chosen to love us in our unworthy state! *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:10. VISION: WE ARE GOD’S WORKMANSHIP UNTO GOOD WORKS. “For we are
his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus upon good works, which :God afore
prepared that we should walk in them.” *We are nothing apart from Christ.
In Him You have made us a new creation, Father. What more can we do but
give You all praise and glory and honor and power! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:21-23 (1:15-2:10) VISION: THE MAJESTY GIVEN TO CHRIST BY THE
FATHER! **“Now he is far above all rule, and authority, and power, and
dominion, and every name named not only in this :age, but also in the
oneto come: 22
and he put all things in subjection under his :feet, and gave him for a
head over all things to the church, 23 which is his :body, the fullness of
him that fills :all in all.” **Majesty*! Worship His *Majesty*! That is all
we can do in the light of such revelation!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “No Sin Whatsoever” - *Even if a man had no other
sin whatever, it is quite sufficient to condemn him for ever, that he
neglects his God and turns away from his Savior; for unbelief is an act of
high treason against the divine majesty, plucking at the crown jewel of
Jehovah’s truthfulness. *“Can God Change?” - *We read in Scripture of
several instance where God apparently changed, but I think the observation
of the old Puritan explains all these: he says, “God may will a change, but
he cannot change his will.” *“Mothers … “ - *You are as much serving God in
looking after your own children, and training them up in God’s fear, and
minding the house, and making your household a church for God, as you would
be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 65:2 (65, ESV) O GOD OF OUR SALVATION. “O you who
hears prayer to you shall all flesh come.” *First of all Father, we can *
absolutely* depend on You as the One who answers prayer! And then, there
are no atheists in fox-holes! When any one of us of flesh find we are up
against the end, we come to You, and are *not* turned away! You give your
rain and sun to the just and unjust alike - you are good to Your enemies,
and command us to do the same. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 64:1. *Praise waits for You, O God, in Zion. *Those who have seen in Zion
the blood of sprinkling, and know themselves to belong to the church of the
first-born, can never think of her without presenting humble praise to
Zion’s God. We shall continue to wait on, tuning our harps, amid the tears
of earth; but, oh, what harmonies will those be which we will pour forth
when the home-bringing is come and the King shall appear in His glory.
Certainly when the soul is most filled with adoring awe, she is least
content with her own expressions and feels most deeply how inadequate are
all mortal songs to proclaim the divine goodness.

 65:2. *O You that hears prayer. *This is Your name, Your nature, Your
glory. God not only has heard, but is now hearing prayer, and always must
hear prayer, since He is an immutable Being and never changes in His
attributes. David evidently believed in a personal God and did not adore a
mere idea or abstraction. *Unto you shall all flesh come. *To come to God
is the life of true religion; we come weeping in conversion, hoping in
supplication, rejoicing in praise, and delighting in service. False gods
must in due time lose their deluded votaries, for man when enlightened will
not be longer be-fooled; but each one who tries the true God is encouraged
by his own success to persuade others also, and so the kingdom of God comes
to men, and men come to it.

 65:4. *Blessed is the man who You choose, and cause to approach unto
You. *Christ,
Whom God chose, and of Whom He said, “This is My beloved Son in Whom I am
well pleased,” is, indeed, “over all, God blessed forever”; but in Him His
elect are blessed, too. For His sake, not for our own, are we chosen; in
Him, not in ourselves, are we received by God, being accepted in the
Beloved; and, therefore, in Him are we blessed: He is our blessing. To
crown all, we do not come nigh in peril of dire destruction, as Nadab and
Abihu did, but we approach as chosen and accepted ones, to become dwellers
in the divine household: this is heaped-up blessedness, vast beyond
conception. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by
D.O. Fuller)*