Galatians 3:1-6 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:52:25 PST 2013

February 5, 2013

*AUG 30 - GALATIANS 3:1-6 - THE HOLY SPIRIT AND FAITH*

 *1. 3:1a. FAITH DISOBEYED: THROUGH DECEPTION. “O foolish Galatians, who
bewitched you?” *Father, You permit us to be tested. You permit the
Judaizers to come amongst us. But Your word is our standard, and it only is
our Plumbline! We beware of the Judaizers. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 3:1b. FAITH: SEES THE NECESSITY OF CHRIST CRUCIFIED. “(Galatians)
before whose eyes Jesus Christ was openly set forth crucified?” *We thank
You Father, for Your servant Paul and his faithfulness. He did not pervert
nor water down Your pure Gospel. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:2. FAITH: BASIS FOR RECEIVING GIFT OF HOLY SPIRIT. “This only would
I learn from you, Received you the Spirit from works of law, or from
hearing of faith?” *We do not merit nor deserve the least of Your mercies,
O Father; they are all in Christ by grace. *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 3:3. FAITH: WILL NOT PERFECT WHAT SPIRIT BEGINS. “Are you so foolish?
having begun in Spirit, are you now perfected in flesh?” *O the subtleties
of the enemy! O the frailty of our flesh! Father, we ask Your forgiveness
wherein we have failed and fallen short. *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day!*

 *5. 3:4. FAITH: ITS LACK MAKES SUFFERING IN VAIN. “Did you suffer so many
things in vain? if indeed in vain.” *Father, we would not suffer
needlessly, and fail to learn the lessons of the testing. We would profit
from each trial You so wisely and lovingly place in our pathway. We
wouldlet trials make us more like Jesus.
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:5. FAITH: BASIS FOR SPIRIT MINISTRY. “Who therefore supplies you the
Spirit, and works miracles among you, is it from works of law, or from
thehearing of faith?”
*Teach us this truth, Father. By Your Spirit write its lessons deep on our
hearts. Circumcise our ears and hearts, and anoint our eyes with salve. *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 3:6. FAITH: JUSTIFIED ABRAHAM. “Even as Abraham believed :God, and it
was reckoned to him for righteousness.” *Thank You Father, for the
wonderful example of Abraham. Thank You that the Holy Spirit through human
writers painted him with warts and all. Thank You for being such a
wonderful God that we can unreservedly praise you with *all** *of our
hearts!* And bring us not into temptation.*

 *NOTE**: **C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Knowing the Bible” - *Do we need to
understand everything? Are we to be all brain, and no heart? What should we
be the better if we did understand all mysteries? I believe God. I bow
before his Word. Is not this better for us than conceit of knowing and
understanding? We are as yet mere children. We know in part.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 60:4, 12 (60, ESV) HE WILL TREAD DOWN OUR FOES. “You
have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may flee to it from
the bow. Selah.” *Yes Father, You are Jehovah-Nissi, Jehovah our banner!
You are our standard when the enemy comes in like a flood. 12 *“With God we
shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes.” *You use our
enemies Father, to chasten us. Then when we repent and turn back to You,
You judge them! Yes, You completely overturn them, and tread them down.
What a wonderful Father You are!

 *Title. *Here is a lengthy title, but it helps us very much to expound the
Psalms. “To the Chief Musician upon Sushan-eduth, or the Lily of
Testimony.” The Forty-Fifth was on the lilies and represented the kingly
warrior in His beauty going forth to war; here we see Him dividing the
spoil and bearing testimony to the glory of God.

 60:1. David found himself the possessor of a tottering throne, troubled
with the double evil faction at home and invasion from abroad. He traced at
once the evil to its true source and began at its fountainhead. His were
politics of piety, which after all are the wisest and most profound. *You
have scattered us.* These first two verses, with their depressing
confession, must be regarded as greatly enhancing the power of the faith,
which in the after verses rejoices in better days through the Lord’s
gracious return unto His people. *You have been displeased. *Had we pleased
You, You would have pleased us; but as we have asked contrary to You, You
have walked contrary to us.

 60:4. *You have given a banner to them that fear You, that it may be
displayed because of the truth.* The Lord has given us the standard of the
gospel; let us live to uphold it, and if needful die to defend it. To
publish the gospel is a sacred duty, to be ashamed of it a deadly sin. The
truth of God was involved in the triumph of David’s armies. He had promised
them victory; and so in the proclamation of the gospel we need feel no
hesitancy, for as surely as God is true, He will give success to His own
word.

 60:6. *God has spoken in His holiness. *Faith is never happier than when
it can fall back upon the promise of God. She sets this over against all
discouraging circumstances; let outward providences say what they will, the
voice of a faithful God drowns every sound of fear. God has promised Israel
victory, and David the kingdom; the holiness of God secured the fulfillment
of His own covenant, and therefore the King spoke confidently. The goodly
land had been secured to the tribes by the promise made to Abraham, and
that divine grant was an abundantly sufficient warrant for the belief that
Israel’s arms would be successful in battle. Believer, make good use of
this and banish doubts while promises remain. *I will rejoice, *or, “I will
triumph.” Faith regards the promise not as fiction, but fact, and therefore
drinks in joy from it and grasps victory by it. “God has spoken; I will
rejoice”; here is a motto fit for every soldier of the cross.* I will
divide Shechem, and mete out the Valley of Succoth.* When God has spoken,
His divine *shall*, our *I will*, becomes no idle boast, but the fit echo
of the Lord’s decree. Believer, up and take possession of covenant mercies;
*Divide Shechem, and mete out the Valley of Succoth.* Let not Canaanitish
doubts and legalisms keep you out of the inheritance of grace.

 60:8. *Moab is my washpot.* A mere pot to hold the dirty water after my
feet have been washed in it. Once she defiled Israel, according to the
counsel Balaam, the son of Beor; but she shall be no longer able to
perpetrate such baseness; she shall be a washpot for those whom she sought
to pollute. *Over Edom will I cast out my shoe. *He need not draw a sword
to smite his now crippled and utterly despondent adversary, for if he dared
revolt, he would only need to throw his slipper at him, and he would
tremble. Easily are we victors when Omnipotence leads the way. *Philistia,
triumph because of me. *So utterly hopeless is the cause of hell when the
Lord comes forth to the battle, that even the weakest daughter of Zion may
shake her head at the enemy and laugh him to scorn. *(From “The Treasury of
David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*