Galatians 1:1-9 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:50:39 PST 2013

February 2, 2013

 *AUG 28 - GALATIANS 1:1-9 - LIBERTY: THREATENED BY FALSE GOSPEL*

 *1. 1:1-2, NNT. PAUL: ESTABLIISHES HIS AUTHENTIC APOSTLESHIP. “Paul,
apostle (not from men, neither through man, but through Jesus Christ, and
God the Father, who raised him from the dead), 2 and all the brethren with
me, to the churches of :Galatia:” *Father, in Your Kingdom, Jesus gave
apostles to the church (EPH 4:11-12), and You by Your purpose set them in
the church for Christ to give (1 COR 12:28). May Christ build His church
through apostolic teams. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 1:3. PAUL: BRINGS APOSTOLIC GREETINGS. “Grace to you and peace from
God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ,” *We thank You O God, for Paul!
We thank You for Your grace and call which made him what he was. Now O
Lord, grant that we might let Your will be done through us as effectively
in our day, as was done in the days of the early church. Yes, and because
Christ made the best wine last, Let the glory of Your latter house exceed
the former! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:4. PAUL: SETS FORTH CHRIST’S REDEMPTIVE WORK. “Christ, who gave
himself for our :sins, that he deliver us from the present evil :age,
according to the will of :God and our Father:” *Not only have You looked
after our deliverance through Christ O Father, but you have covenanted to
meed our daily needs. How faithful You are! We have made ourselves
bought-slaves of Christ, and You have bound Yourself to meet our needs. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 1:5. PAUL: GLORIFIES THE FATHER. “God our Father: to whom the glory
unto the ages of the ages. Amen.” *It was Your will Father, that Christ
should come, humble Himself, identify Himself with us, die for our sins as
our substitute, redeem us, reconcile us, justify us, sanctify us, glorify
us, and propitiate Your wrath against Adam’s race. Now You can freely
forgive our sins, and by Christ's nature in us, we can forgive those who
sin against us, and love our enemies. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 1:6-7. PAUL: POWERFULLY SCORES GOSPEL PERVERSION. “I marvel that you
are so quickly removing from him that called you in Christ’s grace unto a
different gospel; 7 which is not another; only there are some that trouble
you, and wish to pervert the gospel of the Christ.” *Perversion: what an
ugly word! Mixture: what an abomination! Your Gospel of the Kingdom O Lord,
we pledge not to pervert, add to, or corrupt. In this You will guide us by
the inward Spirit! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 1:8. PAUL: CURSES FALSE PREACHERS OF THE GOSPEL. “But though we, or an
angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel other than what we
preached to you, let him be anathema.” *How evil it is to preach another
gospel! How Satan seeks to destroy Kingdom foundations! If the foundations
be destroyed, what can the righteous do? O give us discernment against the
devices of the devil. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 1:9 PAUL: REPEATS HIS CURSE. “As we have said before, so say I now
again, If any preaches to you a gospel other than what you received, let
him be anathema.” *How sober Your double affirmations, O Lord! O may we
never deserve Your wrath, Your curse, Your anathema! We would relate to You
in a responsible way. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: Our Psalm for the day: 58:3, 11 (58, ESV) **GOD WHO JUDGES THE
EARTH. “The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth,
speaking lies.” *Apart from Your revelation O Lord, we would not understand
the deceitfulness and utter corruption of the human heart. Natural man
recoils at this true revelation. But we humbly receive it, and trust Christ
only in us as our righteousness. *11 Mankind will say, “Surely there is a
reward for the righteous: surely there is a God who judges on earth.”
*Righteousness
belongs unto You O God, and You observe with pleasure those who walk in
righteousness on earth. Your wrath is upon the lawless who persecute the
righteous, and You vindicate the righteous for your name’s sake!

 This is the fourth of the Psalms of the Golden Secret and the second of
the “Destroy Nots.” These names, if they serve for nothing else, may be
useful to aid the memory. Men give names to their horses, jewels, and other
valuables, and these names are meant not so much to describe as to
distinguish them, and in some cases to set forth the owner’s high esteem of
his treasure; after the same fashion, the Oriental poet gave a title to the
song he loved, and so aided his memory, and expressed his estimation of the
strain. We are not always to look for a meaning in these superscriptions
but to treat them as we would the titles of poems of the names of tunes.

 58:1. * Do you indeed speak righteousness, O congregation? *“What
everybody says must be true” is a lying proverb based upon the presumption
which comes of large combinations. Have we not all agreed to hound the man
to the death, and who dare hint that so many great ones can be mistaken:
Yet the persecuted one lays the axe at the root by requiring his judges to
answer the question whether or not they were acting according to justice.
It were well if men would sometimes pause and candidly consider this. Some
of those who surrounded Saul were rather passive than active persecutors;
they held their tongues when the object of royal hate was slandered. He who
refrains from defending the right is himself an accomplice in the wrong.

 58:2. *Yes, in heart you work wickedness; you weight the violence of your
hands in the earth.* See what a generation saints have to deal with! Such
were the foes of our Lord, a generation of vipers, an evil and adulterous
generation; they sought to kill Him because He was righteousness itself,
yet they masked their hatred to His goodness by charging Him with sin.

 58:3. *The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as
they be born, speaking lies. *It is small wonder that some men persecute
the righteous seed of the woman, since all of them are of the serpent’s
brood, and enmity is set between them. No sooner born than alienated from
God - what a condition to be found in! He who starts early in the morning
will go far before night. To be untruthful is one of the surest proofs of a
fallen state, and since falsehood is universal, so also is human depravity.

 58:5. *Which will not listen to the voice of charmers, charming never so
wisely.* Ungodly men are not to be won by arguments the most logical or
appeals the most pathetic. Try all your arts, you preachers of the Word!
Lay yourselves out to meet the prejudices and tastes of sinners, and you
shall yet have to cry, “Who has believed our report?” It is not in your
music but in the sinners’ ear that the cause of failure lies, and it is
only the power of God that can remove it.

 58:8. *As a snail which melts, let every one of them pass away. *As the
snail makes its own way by its slime, and so dissolves as it goes, or as
its shell is often found empty, as though the inhabitant had melted away,
so shall the malicious eat out their own strength while they proceed upon
their malevolent designs, and shall themselves disappear. *Like the
untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun. *They are as if
they had never been. Their character is shapeless, hideous, revolting. They
are fitter to be hidden away in an unknown grave than to be reckoned among
men. Their life comes never to ripeness, their aims are abortive, their
only achievement is to have brought misery to others and horror to
themselves. Such men as Herod, Judas, Alva, Bonner, had it not been better
for them if they had never been born? Better for the mothers who bore them?
Better for the lands they cursed? Better for the earth in which their
putrid carcasses are hidden from the sun? Every unregenerate man is an
abortion. He misses the true form of God-made manhood; he corrupts in the
darkness of sin; he never sees or shall see the light of God in purity in
heaven. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by C.O.
Fuller)*