Ezekiel 40-48 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:32:51 PST 2013

February 1, 2013

 *AUG 27 - EZEKIEL 40-48 - FINAL TEMPLE, WORSHIP AND CITY*

 *1. 40:2 (40:1-4, ESV) VISION: THE FUTURE JERUSALEM. “In visions of God he
brought me to the land of Israel, and set me down on a very high mountain,
on which was a structure like a city to the south.” *There is *nothing* too
difficult for You, Father! You can do *all* things, and You do all things *
well*. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 41:4 (40:5-42:20) GATES, COURTS, CHAMBERS AND ROOMS. “And he measured
the length of the room, twenty cubits, and its breadth, twenty cubits,
across the nave. And he said to me, ‘This is the Most Holy Place’.” *Here
You would bring us, Father! Here is found the people of the 100-fold! Here
we would dwell with You. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 43:11 (43:1-12) GATE AND THRONE OF MESSIAH. “And if they are ashamed
of all that they have done make known to them the design of the temple, its
arrangement, its exits and its entrances, that is, its whole design; and
make known to them as well all its statutes and its whole design and all
its laws, and write it down in their sight, so that they may observe all
its laws and statutes and carry them out.” *Then how easy it will be for us
to pray: *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 44:15 (43:13-44:31) MINISTRY OF THE INNER AND OUTER COURT. “But the
Levitical priests, the sons of Zadok, who kept the charge of my sanctuary
when the people of Israel went astray from me, shall come near to me to
minister to me. And they shall stand before me to offer me the fat and the
blood, declares the Lord GOD.” *Father, we would choose the inner court
ministry to You as first priority (Acts 13:1-2), and then the outer court
ministry as an outflow to our fellows man. O forgive us for putting You
second instead of first! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 45:9 (45-46) HOLY OBLATION AND TEMPLE LAWS. “Thus says the Lord GOD:
Enough, O princes of Israel! Put away violence and oppression, and execute
justice and righteousness. Cease your evictions of my people, declares the
Lord GOD.” *These leaders Father, failed in the time of authority and
failure. *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 47:12 (47:1-12) RIVER OF THE SANCTUARY. “And on the banks, on both
sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their
leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh
fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary.
Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing” (REV 22:2; PSA
1:3; JER 17:5-9). *Father, *such* a God of fruitfulness! *And lead us not
into temptation!*

 *7. 48:35 (47:13-48:35) THE CITY: ITS PORTIONS AND DIVISIONS. “The
circumference of the city shall be 18,000 cubits. And the name of the city
from that time on shall be, The LORD is There” (Jehovah Shammah). *We are
Your City, Father! We are Your Zion! Your Name is written upon us. We are
one with Your Son. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 44:4 (43:13-44:31) THE GLORY OF GOD FILLS HIS TEMPLE! **“Then he
brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple, and I
looked, and behold, the glory of the LORD filled the Temple of the LORD.
And I fell on my face.” *Father, we remove the *image of jealousy* (8:5),
that You Whose Name is *Jealous*, may be at peace. We remove all
abominations from flesh, spirit and heart, that *Your Glory* might come in!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 57:5 (57) LET YOUR GLORY BE OVER ALL THE EARTH! “Be
exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!” *Yes,
we say like David, Amen. Let it be so! Let all the earth know Your Glory, O
Great Jehovah Father! There is none other like You! *Hallowed be your :name!
*

 This petition is a very sententious prayer, as full as it is brief, and
well worthy to be the motto for a sacred song. David had said, “Destroy
not,” in reference to Saul, when he had him in his power, and now he takes
pleasure in employing the same words in supplication to God. We may infer
from the spirit of the Lord’s prayer that the Lord will spare us as we
spare our foes. There are four of these “Destroy not” Psalms, namely, the 57
th, 58th, 59th and 75th.

 57:3. *And save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up.* O
dog of hell, I am not only delivered from your bite but even from your
bark. Our foes shall not have the power to sneer at us, their cruel jests
and taunting gibes shall be ended by the message from heaven, which shall
forever save us. *God shall send forth His mercy and His truth.* He asked
for mercy, and truth came with it. Thus evermore does God give us more than
we ask or think. His attributes, like angels on the wing, are ever ready to
come to the rescue of His chosen.

 57:4. *And I lie even among them that are set on fire. *Like the bush in
Horeb, the believer is often in the midst of flames, but never consumed. It
is a mighty triumph of faith when we can lie down even among firebrands and
find rest, because God is our defense.

 57:6. *They have dug a pit before me, into whose midst they are fallen
themselves. Selah. *Evil is a stream which one day flows back to its
source. *Selah*. We may sit down at the pit’s mouth and view with wonder
the just retaliations of providence.

 57:7. *My heart is fixed. *One would have though he would have said, “My
heart is fluttered”; but no, he is calm, firm, happy, resolute,
established. When the central axle is secure, the whole wheel is right. If
our great bower anchor holds, the ship cannot drive. *O God, my heart is
fixed*. I am resolved to trust You, to serve You, and to praise You. Twice
does he declare this to the glory of God, Who thus comforts the souls of
His servants. Reader, it is surely well with you if your once roving heart
is now firmly fixed upon God and the proclamation of His glory. *I will
sing and give praise.* Vocally and instrumentally will I celebrate Your
worship. With lip and with heart will I ascribe honor to You. Satan shall
not stop me, nor Saul, nor the Philistines. I will make Adullam ring with
music, and all the caverns of it echo with joyous song. Believer, make a
firm decree that your soul in all seasons shall magnify the Lord.

 57:10. *And Your truth unto the clouds. *Upon the cloud, He sets the seal
of His truth, the rainbow, which ratifies His covenant; in the cloud He
hides His rain and snow, which prove His truth by bringing to us seedtime
and harvest, cold and heat. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H.
Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*