Jeremiah 30-33 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:11:55 PST 2013

January 2, 2012

 *AUG 5 - JEREMIAH 30-33 - RESTORATION PROMISES*

 *1. 30:11 (30, ESV) RESTORATION: THROUGH REGATHERING. “For I am with you
to save you, declares the LORD; I will make a full end of all the nations
among whom I scattered you, but of you I will not make a full end. I will
discipline you in just measure, and I will by no means leave you
unpunished.” *Father, Your rule is supreme, Your justice right, and Your
mercy so full! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 31:3 (31:1-22) RESTORATION: THROUGH CONVERSION. “The LORD appeared to
him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I
have continued my faithfulness to you.” *Father, You humble our hearts with
such expressions of Your great love and faithfulness. Forgive us for
walking afar off so often. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 31:26 (31:23-30) RESTORATION: THROUGH REBUILDING OF ISRAEL. “At this I
awoke and looked, and my sleep was pleasant to me.” *Father, we thank You
for this prophetic dream of restoration given to Jeremiah. Yet we come to
appreciate *You* more than Your promises of blessing to us. Yes, for
*Your*pleasure, we are created!
* Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 31:33 (31:31-37) RESTORATION: THROUGH THE NEW COVENANT. “But this is
the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,
declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on
their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” *Ah,
Jehovah Father, we rejoice in Your plan of the New Covenant for the church,
composed of Jew and Gentile. We bless You for Your provision of a
heart-change! What bounty and grace! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 31:38 (31:38-40) RESTORATION: THROUGH JERUSALEM CONFIRMED. “Behold,
the days are coming, declares the LORD, when the city shall be rebuilt for
the LORD from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate.” *What powerful
words of Restoration-Promise You give us, O Father! What You ordered for
Israel of old, You oversaw that it was done! In Your mercy deal gently with
us. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 32:17 (32) RESTORATION: SIGN OF KINSMAN-REDEMPTION! “Ah, Lord GOD! It
is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by
your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.” *Praise, blessing,
honor and adoration be unto You O Father, world without end. Amen! You are
all-powerful, and worthy to be praised. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 33:3 (33) RESTORATION: THROUGH DAVIDIC KINGDOM. “Call to me and I will
answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not
known.” *What a great Father You are! There is *nothing* too hard for You!
As we fill our minds and hearts with all You are and do, we are forced to
confirm these truths again and again! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 31:34 (31:31-37) RESTORATION: UNDER THE NEW COVENANT! **“And no
longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying,
‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the
greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will
remember their sin no more.” *The day comes O Father, when Your glory shall
cover the earth as the waters cover the sea. And Jesus Your Son has
revealed You unto us, and *You* are in *Him*, and *He* in *You*!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: *What is heaven? It is the place which his love
suggested, which his genius invented, which his bounty provided, which his
royalty has adorned, which his wisdom has prepared, which he himself
glorifies; in that heaven you are to be with him for ever.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 35:13 (35) GREAT IS THE LORD. “But I, when they
were sick - I wore sackcloth; I afflicted myself with fasting; I prayed
with head bowed on my chest.” *Here we see You by prophecy, as the Lamb of
God, seeking the welfare of Your persecutors. Here we see the
self-lifesublimated to the will of God! No wonder we
*Hallow Your :name*, Father!

 Title: *“A Psalm of David.” *Here is all we know concerning the Psalm, but
internal evidence seems to fix the date of its composition in those
troublous times when Saul hunted David over hill and dale and when whose
who fawned upon the cruel king slandered the innocent object of his wrath,
or it may be referred to the unquiet days of frequent insurrections in
David’s old age. The whole Psalm is the appeal to heaven of a bold heart
and a clear conscience irritated beyond measure by oppression and malice.
Beyond a doubt, David’s Lord may be seen here by the spiritual eye.

 35:3. *Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that
persecute me*. To stave off trouble is no mean act of lovingkindness. As
when some valiant warrior with his lance blocks up a defile, and keeps back
a host until his weaker brethren have made good their escape, so does the
Lord often hold the believer’s foes at bay until the good man has taken
breath, or clean fled from his foes.

 35:4. *Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul. *There
is nothing malicious here; the slandered man simply craves for justice, and
the petition is natural and justifiable. Guided by

God’s good Spirit, the Psalmist foretells the everlasting confusion of all
the haters of the righteous. Shameful disappointment shall be the portion
of the enemies of the gospel, nor would the most tender-hearted Christian
have it otherwise; viewing sinners as men, we love them and seek their
good, but regarding them as enemies of God, we cannot think of them with
anything but detestation and a loyal desire for the confusion of their
devices. No loyal subject can wish well to rebels. Squeamish sentimentality
may object to the strong language here used, but in their hearts all good
men wish confusion to mischief-makers.

 35:7. For* without cause have they hid from me their net in a pit, which
without cause they have digged for my soul. *Twice does David assert in one
verse that his adversaries plotted against him *without cause*. Net-making
and pit-digging require time and labor, and both of these the wicked will
expend cheerfully if they may but overthrow the people of God.

 35:8. *And let his net that he has hid catch himself: into that very
destruction let him fall*. There is a *lex talionis* with God which often
works most wonderfully. Men set traps and catch their own fingers. They
throw up stones, and they fall upon their own heads. How often Satan
outwits himself and burns his fingers with his own coals! This will
doubtless be one of the aggravations of hell, that men will torment
themselves with what were once the fond devices of their rebellious minds.
They curse and are cursed; they kick the pricks and tear themselves; they
pour forth floods of fire, and it burns them within and without.

 35:11. *False witnesses did rise up. *This is the old device of the
ungodly, and we must not wonder if it be used against us as against our
Master. To please Saul, there were always men to be found mean enough to
impeach David. *They laid to my charge things that I knew not*. He had not
even a thought of sedition; he was loyal even to excess; yet they accused
him of conspiring against the Lord’s anointed. He was not only innocent but
ignorant of the fault alleged. It is well when our hands are so clean that
no trace of dirt is upon them.

 35:12. *And my prayer returned into my own bosom. *Prayer is never lost:
if it bless not those for whom intercession is made it shall bless the
intercessors. Clouds do not always descend in showers upon the same spot
from which the vapors ascended, but they come down somewhere and even so do
supplications in some place or other yield their showers of mercy. If our
dove find no rest for the sole of her foot among our enemies, it shall fly
into our bosoms and bring an olive branch of peace.

 35:21. *And said, Aha, aha, our eye has seen it. *Glad to find out a fault
for a misfortune or to swear they had seen evil where there was none.
Malice has but one eye; it is blind to all virtue in its enemy. Eyes can
generally see what hearts wish. A man with a mote in his eye sees a spot in
the sun. How like a man to an ass when he brays over another’s misfortunes!
How like to a devil when he laughs a hyena-laugh over a good man’s slip!

 35:23. *My God and my Lord. *The cry of Thomas when he saw the wounds of
Jesus. If he did not count our Lord to be divine, neither does David here
ascribe deity to Jehovah, for there is no difference except in the order of
the words and the tongue in which they were spoken; the meaning is
identical. What words they are, with their two eyes seeing Jehovah in two
aspects, yet as one, grasping him with two hands in the double “my” to one
heart, for the word is but one, bowing before him on both knees to worship
him in lowliest reverence. Well might Nouet, in his exposition of the words
as used by Thomas, exclaim, “O sweet word, I will say it all my life long;
I will say it in the house of death; I will say it in eternity.” *(From
“The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*