Jeremiah 34-38 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 13:46:37 PST 2013

January 3, 2013

 *AUG 6 - JEREMIAH 34-38 - PROPHECIES BASED ON SINS OF KINGS*

 *1. 34:2 (34:1-7, ESV) JEREMIAH: BOTH WARNS AND ENCOURAGES ZEDEKIAH. “Thus
says the LORD, the God of Israel: Go and speak to Zedekiah king of Judah
and say to him, ‘Thus says the LORD: Behold, I am giving this city into the
hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire.’” *Did You
mean this, Father? Yes, and Your judgment was righteous! Sometimes the only
way in which Your Kingdom can be furthered, is through righteous judgments!
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 34:16 (34:8-22) ZEDEKIAH: HIS INEFFECTUAL COVENANT. “But then you
turned around and profaned my name when each of you took back his male and
female slaves, whom you had set free according to their desire, and you
brought them into subjection to be your slaves.” *Forgive us Father, for
reneging on our word. We commit ourselves to justice, and then go back on
our word. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 35:18-19 (35) JEREMIAH: SIGN OF THE RECHABITES. But to the house of
the Rechabites Jeremiah said, “Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of
Israel: Because you have obeyed the command of Jonathan your father and
kept all his precepts and done all that he commanded you, 19 therefore thus
says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Jonathan the son of Rehab shall
never lack a man to stand before me.” *What a powerful promise, Father! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 36:4 (36:1-26) JEREMIAH: HIS SCROLL TO JEHOIAKIM. “Then Jeremiah
called Baruch the son of Nerita, and Baruch wrote on a scroll at the
dictation of Jeremiah all the words of the LORD that he had spoken to him.”
*Thank You Father, for Your Word! How we need it as our plumbline! How we
need Your Son Jesus as or *living* Plumbline! How we see that we fall short
of Your glory! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 36:32 (36:27-32) JEREMIAH: REWRITES THE BURNT SCROLL. “Then Jeremiah
took another scroll and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah,
who wrote on it at the dictation of Jeremiah all the words of the scroll th
at Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire. And many similar words
were added to them.” *How our hearts tremble at the sin of Jehoiakim. Yet
we often treat lightly Your Word, Father! O deal with us until we honor
You, Your Word, and Jesus Your Living Word. *And forgive us our :debts, As
we also have forgiven our debtors!*

 *6. 37:10 (37) JEREMIAH: PARTIALLY DELIVERED BY ZEDEKIAH. “For even if you
should defeat the whole army of Chaldeans who are fighting against you, and
there remained of them only wounded men, every man in his tent, they would
rise up and burn this city with fire.” *With You Father, the die was cast.
The point of no return was reached. Judgment was inevitable. *And bring us
not into temptation.*

 *7. 38:20 (38) JEREMIAH: URGES ZEDEKIAH TO SURRENDER. Jeremiah said, “You
shall not be given to them. Obey now the voice of the LORD in what I say to
you, and it shall be well with you, and your life shall be spared.” *Why
Father, is it so difficult for us to receive Your clear promises? O forgive
us our sin of unbelief, and grant us to perceive the rightness of Your
Word! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: *You and I can never imagine all the depths
of hell. Shut out from us by a black veil of darkness, we cannot tell the
horrors of that dismal dungeon of lost souls. Happily, the wailings of the
damned have never startled us, for a thousand tempests were but a maiden's
whisper, compared with one wail of a damned spirit. It is not possible for
us to see the tortures of those souls who dwell eternally within an anguish
that knows no alleviation. These eyes would become sightless balls of
darkness, if they were permitted for an instant to look into that ghastly
shrine of torment. Hell is horrible, for we may say of it, eye has not
seen, nor ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man to
conceive the horrors which God has prepared for them that hate him.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 36:5; 9 (36) HOW PRECIOUS IS YOUR STEADFAST LOVE
(CHEsed). “Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens, your
faithfulness to the clouds. 9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your
light do we see light.” *Father, when You abide within us, we have all we
need, and Your living word has right of way. We are now Your habitation. We
are now identified with You in death and resurrection of Jesus. No wonder
we begin to see clearly. Father, we *hallow your :name!*

 Psalm 36 is The Song of Happy Service: such a one as all may join in who
bear the easy yoke of Jesus. The wicked are contrasted with the righteous,
and the great Lord of devout men is heartily extolled; thus obedience to so
good a Master is indirectly insisted on, and rebellion against Him is
plainly condemned. 36:1. *The transgression of the wicked says within my
heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes. *Men’s sins have a
voice to godly ears. They are the outer index of an inner evil. Wickedness
is the fruit of an atheistic root. If God be everywhere, and I fear Him how
can I dare to break His laws in His very presence?

 36:2. *For he flatters himself in his own eyes.* God-fearing men see their
sins and bewail them. Where the reverse is the case, we may be sure there
is no fear of God. To smooth over one’s own conduct to one’s conscience
(which is the meaning of the Hebrew) is to smooth one’s own path to hell.

He had not God before his eyes in holy awe, therefore he puts himself there
in unholy admiration. He who makes little of God makes much of himself.
They who forget adoration fall into adulation. Their eyes must see
something, and if they admire not God, they will flatter self.

 36:3. *The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit. *This pair of hell
dogs generally hunt together, and what one does not catch the other will;
if iniquity cannot win by oppression, deceit will gain by chicanery. When
the heart is so corrupt as to flatter itself, the tongue will follow suit.
The open sepulcher of the throat reveals the foulness of the inner nature.

 36:5. *Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens. *When we can measure the
heavens, then shall we bound the mercy of the Lord. Towards His own
servants especially, in the salvation of the Lord Jesus, He hes displayed
grace higher then the heaven of heavens and wider than the universe. Oh,
that the atheist could but see this, how earnestly would he long to become
a servant of Jehovah! *Your faithfulness reaches unto the clouds. *Far, far
above all comprehension is the truth and faithfulness of God. He never
fails, nor forgets, nor falters, nor forfeits His Word.

 36:7. *Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of
Your wings. *Oh, that more of Adam’s race knew the excellency of the
heavenly shelter! It made Jesus weep to see how they refused it: our tears
may well lament the same evil.

 36:9. *For with You is the fountain of life. *This verse is made of simple
words, but like the first chapter of John’s Gospel, it is very deep. From
the Lord, as from an independent self-sufficient spring, all creature life
proceeds, by Him it is sustained, through Him alone can it be perfected.
Life is in the creature, but the fountain of it is only in the Creator. *In
Your light shall we see light. *In spiritual things, the knowledge of God
shed a light on all other subjects. We need no candle to see the sun; we
see it by its own radiance and then see everything else by the same luster.
We never see Jesus by the light of self, but self in the light of Jesus.
Vain are they who look to learning and human wit; one ray from the throne
of God is better than the noonday splendor of created wisdom. Lord, give me
the sun, and let those who will delight in the wax candles of superstition
and the phosphorescence of corrupt philosophy.

 36:10. *And Your righteousness to the upright in heart. *The worst thing
to be feared by the man of God is to be forsaken of heaven, hence the
prayer; but the fear is groundless, hence the peace which faith brings to
us. Learn from this verse, that although a continuance of mercy is
guaranteed in the covenant, we are yet to make it a matter of prayer. For
this good thing will the Lord be inquired of.

 36:11. *Let not the foot of pride come against me. *Good men may well be
afraid of proud men, for the serpent’s seed will never cease to bite the
heel of the godly.