Jeremiah 25-29 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:28:35 PST 2013

 <http://www.2rbetter.org/>

*AUG 4 - JEREMIAH 25-29 - JUDGMENT PREDICTED: 70 YEARS*

 *1. 25:11 (25:1-14, ESV) PROPHECY OF THE 70 YEARS CAPTIVITY. “This whole
land shall become a ruin and a waste, and these nations shall serve the
king of Babylon seventy years.” *Father, You are Sovereign of the universe.
You speak and it is done, and none can say You, Nay. *Hallowed be your
:name!*

 *2. 25:15 (25:15-38) SIGN OF THE WINE CUP OF FURY. Thus the LORD, the God
of Israel, said to me: “Take from my hand this cup of the wine of wrath,
and make all the nations to whom I send you to drink it.” *Your will even
in judgment, shall be done upon all the earth, O Father! *Your :kingdom
come!*

 *3. 26:15 (26) MESSAGE IN THE TEMPLE COURT. “Only know for certain that if
you put me to death, you will bring innocent blood upon yourselves and upon
this city and its inhabitants, for in truth the LORD sent me to you to
speak all these words in your ears.” *Father, Your word is a true word,
even when unpalatable. Judgment and chastisement to bring us to our sinful
senses sometimes becomes necessary. Bring us to our senses! *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 27:6 (27:1-11) SIGN OF THE YOKES FOR NATIONS. “Now I have given all
these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, my
servant, and I have given him also the beasts of the field to serve him.” *What
a Great and Sovereign God You are, Father! You do *all* things after the
counsel of Your own will. You do what is necessary to bring us to
repentance. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 27:16 (27:12-22) SIGN OF THE YOKES FOR ZEDEKIAH. Then I spoke to the
priests and to all this people, saying, “Thus says the LORD; Do not listen
to the words of your prophets who are prophesying to you, saying, ‘Behold,
the vessels of the LORD’s house will now shortly be brought back from
Babylon,’ for it is a lie that they are prophesying to you.” *How we love
to deceive and be deceived! How we hate to face spiritual reality! Forgive
us for our hard-heartedness, Father! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also
have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 28:9 (28) CONTEST BETWEEN PROPHETS. “As for the prophet who prophesies
peace, when the word of that prophet comes to pass, then it will be known
that the LORD has truly sent the prophet.” *Father, thank You for these
words of wisdom to discern between prophets, the false and the true. Help
us to heed these words of wisdom. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 29:10 (29) JEREMIAH: LETTER TO THE CAPTIVITY. “For thus says the LORD;
When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will
fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place.” *Hallelujah!
How marvelous You are, O Jehovah Father! None other can say and do such
things as You! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NONE**: 29:13-14 (29) GOD’S PROMISE! **“You will seek me and find me,
when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, declares
the LORD, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the
nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the LORD, and
I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.” *Again,
such promises as this from You Father, humble our hearts!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: *In heaven they marry not, but are as the angels of
God; yet there is this one marvelous exception to the rule, for in heaven
Christ and His Church shall celebrate their joyous nuptials. This affinity
as it is more lasting, so it is more near than earthly wedlock. Let the
love of husband be never so pure and fervent, it is but a faint picture of
the flame which burns in the heart of Jesus.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 34:1: 18 (34) TASTE AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD! “I
will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my
mouth. 18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in
spirit.” *O Father, open our eyes to see all the hypocrisy in our life. Let
us *Hallow your :name* by walking consistently in Your word!

 34. “A Psalm of David, when he changed his behavior before Abimelech; who
drove him away, and he departed.” Of this transaction, which reflects no
credit upon David’s memory, we have a brief account in 1 Samuel 21.
Although the gratitude of the Psalmist prompted him thankfully to record
the goodness of the Lord in vouchsafing an undeserved deliverance, yet he
weaves none of the incidents of the escape into the narrative but dwells
only on the grand fact of his being heard in the hour of peril. We may
learn from his example not to parade our sins before others, as certain
vainglorious professors are wont to do who seem as proud of their sins as
old Greenwich pensioners of their battles and their wounds. David played
the fool with singular dexterity, but he was not so real a fool as to sing
of his own exploits of folly. 34:1. *I will bless the LORD at all times. *He
who praises God for mercies shall never want a mercy for which to praise.
To bless the Lord is never unseasonable.

 34:2. *My soul shall make her boast in the Lord. *Boasting is a very
natural propensity, and if it were used as in this case, the more it were
indulged the better. The exultation of this verse is no mere tongue
bragging; *the soul* is in it, the boasting is meant and felt before it is
expressed. What scope there is for holy boasting in Jehovah!

 34:6. *This poor man cried. *His prayer was a cry, for brevity and
bitterness, for earnestness and simplicity, for artlessness and grief; it
was a poor man’s cry, but it was none the less powerful in heaven, for *the
Lord heard him, *and to be heard of God is to be delivered; and so it is is
added, the Lord *saved him out of all his troubles.* At once and and
altogether David was clean rid of all his woes. The Lord sweeps our griefs
away as men destroy a hive of hornets or as the winds clear away the mists.
Prayer can clear us of troubles as easily as the Lord made riddance of the
frogs and flies of Egypt when Moses entreated him.

 34:14. *Seek peace*. Anger is murder to one’s own self as well as to its
objects. *And pursue it.* Hunt after it; chase it with eager desire. It may
soon be lost, indeed - nothing is harder to retain - but do your best, and
if enmity should arise let it be no fault of yours. Follow after peace when
it shuns you; be resolved not to be of a contentious spirit. The peace
which you thus promote will be returned into your own bosom and be a
perennial spring of comfort to you.

 34:18. *The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart. *Near in
friendship to accept and console. Broken hearts think God far away, when He
is really most near them; their eyes are holden so that they see not their
best friend.

 34:20. *He keeps all His bones: not one of them is broken. Eternity* will
heal all their wounds. Not a bone of the mystical body of Christ shall be
broken, even as His corporeal frame was preserved intact. Divine love
watches over every believer as it did over Jesus; no fatal injury shall
happen to us. We shall neither be halt nor maimed in the kingdom, but shall
be presented after life’s trials are over without spot or sprinkle or any
such thing, being preserved in Christ Jesus and kept by the power of God
through faith unto salvation. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H.
Spurgeon, abridged by D.O Fuller)*