1 Corinthians 16 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:35:08 PST 2012

December 22, 2012

 *JUL 30 - 1 CORINTHIANS 16 - ON GIVING, AND CLOSING WORDS*

 *1. 16:2 (16:1-4, NNT) THE COLLECTION: RULES AND SAFEGUARDS. “Upon thefirst
day of the week let each of you lay by him in store, as he may prosper,
that when I come no collections be made.” *Father, Your ways are wise,
orderly and thoughtful. These were Your wise ways for David and Old
Covenant saints. They are Your ways for us today. We pledge to observe
them. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 16:8-9 (16:5-9) PAUL’S FUTURE PLANS. “But I will tarry at Ephesus
until :Pentecost; 9 for a great door and effectual is opened to me, and
adversaries are many.” *Father, make us sensitive like Paul to Your
Providential open doors. Guide us intuitively through Your providential
leadings. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 16:10-11a (16:10-11) TIMOTHY: A WORD ON HELPING HIM. “Now if Timothy
come, see that he be with you without fear; for he works the Lord’s work,
as I also: 11a let none therefore despise him.” *Paul safeguarded Your
design through these words, Father. Make us sensitive to work cooperatively
with You as Paul did through Timothy. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth!*

 *4. 16:12 APOLLOS: POSSIBILITY FOR THE FUTURE. “But as touching Apollos
the brother, I besought him much to come unto you with the brethren: and it
was not at all the will to come now; but he will come when he shall have
opportunity.” *Father, forgive us for forcing our will on others and
playing God. Give us that keen insight of Paul to rely on You through men
for the best timing! Help us also to forgive others who try to eclipse You
and force their will upon us! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 16:13-14 EXHORTATION TO VIGILANCE AND LOVE. “Watch, stand fast in the
faith, quit you like men, be strong. 14 Let all you do be in love.”
*Hallelujah!
Father, we bless You for Your words of wisdom through St. Paul. These are
words of spiritual armor, permitting You to lead us not into undue purging.
Yet, where purging is necessary, be the refiner and purge out the dross
(Malachi 3:1-3), and the farmer and prune off the extraneous (John 15:1-8).
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 16:15-16 (16:15-18) A WORD TO HONOR WORTHY MINISTERS. “Now I beseech
you, brethren (you know the house of Stephanas, that it is a first fruit of
Achaia, and they have set themselves to minister to the saints, 16 that you
also submit to :such, and to every one that helps in the work and toils.” *We
too Father, would be *addicted* in serving one another above ourselves! We
would submit ourselves to leaders with this beautiful servant spirit. *And
bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 16:19 (16:19-24) CLOSING SALUTATIONS AND BENEDICTION. “The churches of
:Asia salute you. Aquila and Prisca salute you much in the Lord, with the
church in their house.” *How simple were Your ways in the beginning of the
church. How we have *made void* Your word and way of the city church, and
church in the home, by our traditions through the centuries. Forgive us,
and return us, Father. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 16:22-24 (16:19-24) PAUL’S STERN, YET BLESSED CLOSING. **“If any
man loves not the Lord, let him be anathema. Maranatha. 23 The grace of the
Lord Jesus Christ be with you. 24 My :love with you all in Christ
Jesus. *Father,
we embrace You and Your Word. We embrace You in Christ Jesus. We embrace
You in Your Spirit. We move from childhood to bridal love.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 30:5 (30, ESV) JOY COMES WITH THE MORNING. “For
his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may
tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” *Father, we welcome
the spiritual night of denial, identification with Jesus in His cross of
suffering, and following Him in union with You! For out of temporary
deprivation comes bountiful union and communion! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Quotes from C.H. Spurgeon - “The Doctrine We Preach” - *This is the
doctrine that we preach; if a man be saved, all the honor is to be given to
Christ; but if a man be lost, all the blame is to be laid upon himself. You
will find all true theology summed up in these two short sentences,
salvation is all of the grace of God, damnation is all of the will of man.

 *Psalm 30 - Title: *“A Psalm and Song at the Dedication of the House of
David”; or rather, “A Psalm; a Song of Dedication for the House, by David.”
A song of faith since the house of Jehovah, here intended, David never
lived to see. A Psalm of praise, since a sore judgment had been stayed and
a great sin forgiven. 30:1. *I will extol You.* I will have high and
honorable conceptions of You and give them utterance in my best music.
Others may forget You, murmur at You, despise You, blaspheme You, but “I
will extol You,” for I have been favored above all others. *For You have
lifted me up. *Here is an antithesis, “I will exalt You, for You have
exalted me! Grace has uplifted us from the pit of hell, from the ditch of
sin, from the Slough of Despond, from the bed of sickness, from the bondage
of doubts and fears: have we no song to offer for all of this? How high has
our Lord lifted us? Lifted us up into the children’s place, to be adopted
into the family; lifted us up into union with Christ, “to sit together with
Him in heavenly places.” Lift high the Name of our God, for He has lifted
us above the stars.

 30:4. *Sing unto the Lord, O you saints of His. *David would not fill his
choir with reprobates but with sanctified persons who could sing from their
hearts. He calls to you, you people of God, because you are saints: and if
sinners are wickedly silent, let your holiness constrain you to sing. You
are His saints - chosen, blood-bought, called, and set apart for God;
sanctified on purpose that you should offer the daily sacrifice of praise.
Abound you in this duty.

 30:5. *Weeping my endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. *When
the Sun of Righteousness comes, we wipe our eyes, and joy chases out
intruding sorrow. Who would not be joyful that knows Jesus? The first beams
of the morning bring us comfort when Jesus is the day-dawn, and all
believers know it to be so. Mourning only lasts till morning: when the
night is gone the gloom shall vanish. This is adduced as a reason for
saintly singing, and forcible reason it is; short nights and merry days
call for psalter and harp.

 30:6. *In my prosperity.* When all his foes were quiet, and his rebellious
son dead and buried, then was the time of peril. Many a vessel founders in
a calm. No temptation is so bad as tranquility.

 30:7. *You did hide Your face, and I was troubled.* There was no need to
come to blows, a hidden face was enough. This proves, first, that David was
a genuine saint, for no hiding of God’s face on earth would trouble a
sinner; and, secondly, that the joy of the saint is dependent upon the
presence of his Lord.

 30:10. *Lord, You be my helper. * Another compact expressive ever-fitting
prayer. It is suitable to hundreds of the cases of the Lord’s people; it is
well becoming in the minister when he is going to preach, to the sufferer
upon the bed of pain, to the toiler in the field of service, to the
believer under temptation, to the man of God under adversity; when God
helps, difficulties vanish. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H.
Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*