Jeremiah 1 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 10:04:45 PST 2012

December 23, 2012

 *JUL 31 - JEREMIAH 1 - CALL OF THE PROPHET*

 *1. 1:2-3 (1:1-3, ESV) JEREMIAH: HIS HISTORICAL BACKGROUND. “To whom the
word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah,
in the thirteenth year of his reign. 3 It came also in the days of
Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, and until the end of the
eleventh year of Zedekiah, the son of Josiah, king of Judah, unto the
captivity of Jerusalem in the fifth month.” *Father, You reign in Your
Kingdom by Your word through Your prophets and apostles. You build Your
church on this foundation. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 1:4-5 JEREMIAH: GOD’S AMAZING PREPARATION. “Now the word of the LORD
came to me, saying, 5 ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and
before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the
nations.’” *We acknowledge Your sovereign predestinating power, Father! You
declare the end from the beginning! You call the things that are not as
though they were! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:6-8 JEREMIAH: GOD OVERRULES HIS FEARFULNESS. Then I said, “Ah, Lord
GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” 7 But the
LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I
send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. 8 Do
not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the
LORD.” *Provision! Provision! Your callings Father, are Your enablements!
All we need we find in You. All our secret springs are in You! *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 1:9-10 JEREMIAH: SUPERNATURAL STRENGTHENING AND COMMISSION. “Then the
LORD* *put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the LORD said to me,
‘Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, I have set you this day
over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy
and to overthrow, to build and to plant.” *Father, forgive us, so many of
us, for applying this verse to ourselves. There are *few* Jeremiahs! There
are few called to the *office* of prophet. Possessing the lesser gift of
prophecy does *not* qualify one for the office! The lesser does *not** *include
greater. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 1:12 (1:11-12) JEREMIAH: SIGN OF THE ALMOND TREE. “Then the LORD said
to me, ‘You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it.’”
*The almond tree: Your emblem Father, of Your watchful care over Your
promises, and Your haste in performing them! You are *not* slack in
fulfilling Your promises. Your day is but 1000 years! *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 1:14 (1:13-16) JEREMIAH: SIGN OF THE SEETHING POT. “Then the LORD said
to me, ‘Out of the north disaster shall be let loose upon all the
inhabitants of the land.” *Father, You *must* judge sin, lawlessness and
rebellion. Yet You will not punish the righteous with the lawless. You
preserved Lot in the midst of righteous judgment! *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 1:17 (1:17-19) JEREMIAH: GOD’S ENCOURAGEMENT. “But you, dress yourself
for work; arise, and say to them everything that I command you. Do not be
dismayed by them, lest I dismay you before them.” *Though we are *not* all
called to be prophets like Jeremiah, yet we must all bear witness to the *
truth* according to our calling. We *loose* Your wisdom for this, Father! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:19 (1:17-19) JEREMIAH: GOD’S PROMISE OF DELIVERANCE. **“They
will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am
with you, declares the LORD, to deliver you.” *Yes Father, You will give us
our life as a prey, in all places where You lead us, and in the midst of
danger and temptation. *Great* is Your faithfulness, O God our Father!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: * Afraid to Save The Non-Elect. “Some people seem
to be afraid lest we should be the means of saving some of the non-elect -
but that is a fear which never troubles either my head or my heart, for I
know that with all the effort and preaching in the world, we shall never
bring more to Christ that Christ has had given to Him by His Father!”