1 Corinthians 12-14 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:27:23 PST 2012

December 20, 2012

 *JUL 28 - 1 CORINTHIANS 12-14 - CHARISMATIC RULES*

 *1. 12:7, 11 (12:1-11, NNT) GIFTS: FOR PROFIT, BY ONE SPIRIT. “But to each
is given the manifestation of the Spirit to :profit. 11 But all these works
the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each severally even as he
wills.” *Father,
we acknowledge the *Sovereignty* of Your Spirit in His manifestation. We
are not lord of this area. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 12:12 (12:12-31a) GIFTS: TO BALANCE CHRIST’S SPIRITUAL BODY. “For even
as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of the body,
being many, are one body; so also the Christ.” *Yes Father, we receive this
truth. The spiritual body of Your Son is all of us together! We are
*part*of one another in Christ. We accept Your will in this respect.
*Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 13:4-7 (12:31b-13:13) GIFTS: LOVE, THE MOTIVATION. “:Love suffers
long, is kind; :love envies not, vaunts not itself, is not puffed up, 5 is
not unseemly, seeks not its :own, is not provoked, takes not account of
:evil: 6 rejoices not in :unrighteousness, but rejoices with the
truth; 7 covers
all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. *Father,
this is the true way of rest; and resting in You in love - is the secret of
the “exchanged life”. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 14:15 (14:1-19) GIFTS: RULES FOR TONGUES. “What is it then? I will
pray with the spirit, and will pray with the understanding also: I will
sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.” *When
we speak in a tongue, we speak in the spirit (14:2). This is *not* the way
of natural man, and runs contrary to our human reasoning. Forgive us
Father, for setting up ourselves as judges over Your Word! We choose to
follow Paul as he followed Christ. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 14:22 (14:20-25) GIFTS: PURPOSE FOR TONGUES AND PROPHECY. “So that the
tongues are for a sign, not to the believing, but to the unbelieving: but
prophecy is not to the unbelieving, but to the believing.” *We thank You
Father, for the possibility of a devotional prayer language. We thank You
also for tongues as a sign to unbelievers on the day of Pentecost. Manifold
are Your ways! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 14:32-33 (14:26-33) GIFTS: EDIFICATION THE KEY. “(And the spirits of
prophets are subject to prophets; 33 for :God is not a God of confusion,
but of peace), as in all the churches of the saints.” *He who says, “I
could not help myself; I *had* to do it:” is *deceived*! You Father, force
none of us. You are a gentleman. It is Satan who forces us into legalistic,
inappropriate and inconsiderate action. Deliver us Father, from the guile,
deception and delusion of Satan. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 14:37 (14:34-39) GIFTS: THEIR DECENCY AND ORDER. “If any thinks
himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him take knowledge of what
thingsI write you, that it is
the Lord’s commandment.” *Do we set ourselves up against You, Father? Do we
judge Your Word? Do we fail to see the apostle Paul as Your mouthpiece? We
repent of this error. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 12:13 (12:12-31a) GIFTS: THEIR BASIS - IN THE SPIRIT. “For in one
Spirit also were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks,
whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit.” *Father,
we thank You that Your Spirit baptized us into Christ’s body. We also thank
You that Christ baptized us into Your Spirit. We in You - You in us! And
all through Christ and Your Spirit!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 28:9 (28, ESV) THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH AND MY
SHIELD. “Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd
and carry them forever.” *Father, in the face of our enemies, what would we
do without You? You are our hope, and the saving health of our countenance!
Yes, we trust You to shepherd us, and when we call on Your Name, You lift
us up on high! *Hallowed be Your :Name!*

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: Imperfect Church: *The church is not perfect, but
woe to the man who finds pleasure in pointing out her imperfections. Christ
loved his church, and let us do the same. I have no doubt that the Lord can
see more fault in his church than I can; and I have equal confidence that
he sees no fault at all. Because he covers her faults with his own love -
that love which covers a multitude of sins; and he removes all her
defilement with that precious blood which washes away all the
transgressions of his people.

 PSALM 28. The thorn at the breast of the nightingale was said by the old
naturalists to make it sing. David’s griefs made him eloquent in holy
Psalmody. 28:1. *Unto You will I cry, O Lord my rock. *It will be in vain
to call to the rocks in the day of judgment, but our Rock attends to our
cries.

 28:2. *Hear the voice of my supplications. *A silent prayer may have a
louder voice than the cries of those priests who sought to awaken Baal with
their shouts. *When I lift up my hands toward Your holy oracle. *We stretch
out empty hands for we are beggars; we lift them up, for we seek heavenly
supplies; we lift them towards the mercy seat of Jesus.

 28:3. *Draw me not away with the wicked. *They shall be dragged off to
hell like felons of old drawn on a hurdle to Tyburn, like logs drawn to the
firs, like fagots to the oven. David fears lest he should be bound up in
their bundle, drawn to their doom. *Which speak peace to their neighbors,
but mischief is in their hearts. *Soft words, oily with pretended love. It
were better to be shut up in a pit with serpents than to be compelled to
live with liars.

 28:6. *Blessed be the Lord. *Our Psalm was prayer up to this point, and
now it turns to praise. They who pray well will soon praise well: prayer
and praise are the two lips of the soul; two altars; two of Solomon’s
lilies.

 28:7. *Therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise
Him. *Observe the adverb *greatly* - we need not be afraid of being too
full of rejoicing at the remembrance of grace received. Let us
*greatly*rejoice in Him. It were well if we were more like the singing
lark and less
like the croaking raven. When God blesses us, we should bless Him with all
our heart. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, Abridged by
D.O. Fuller)  *