2 Chronicles 7:14 - Sermon

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:09:55 PST 2012

December 10, 2012

 *2012-11-30 - 2 CHRONICLES 7:14 (7:11-22) - IF MY PEOPLE PRAY*

 *If my people who are called by my name* *humble themselves,*

ve-yic-c*a*n*U* aMIY aSHER NIKr*a* _sheMIY a-l*e*yHEM,

*and pray*

veYITH-PALl*u*

*and seek my face*

VIYbak-sh*u* paNAY

*and turn from their wicked ways,*

ve-y*a*SH*U*v*u* mid-darC*E*Yhem h*a*-r*a*-*I*YM,

*then I will hear from heaven*

va-aN*I*Y eshMA min_hash-sh*a*MAYim

*and will forgive their sin*

ve-esLACH le-hat-t*a*TH*A*M

*and heal their land.*

ve-erP*A* eth_arTS*A*M.

 Notice: it is God’s people - in Covenant with Him - to whom these promises
are given! If they fall away from this place of *God’s* choice - then they
must return to regain these 3-fold blessings.

 And note again - there are 4 conditions given by God to effect a proper
return! *Then* the 3-fold blessings can be claimed.

 This verse has been quoted and claimed by NT saints also. And though it
was originally written for OT Israel during Temple days of worship - yet
according to Romans 9:4-5, we Gentiles have been grafted in with Israel, so
that the Church, the “One New Man” composed of Messianic Jews and Gentiles,
can *both* enter into these promises and claim them.

 It is also proper to note that Gentile believers do *not* need to keep the
OT laws of Israel: circumcision etc. is *not* for us - just the 4 condition
listed by James at the end of Acts 15. It is so easy to slip into the
legalism of the Galatians! Beware of Judaizers who would subtly force
Gentile believers into this trap. How ably the apostle Paul labored to free
us from this. Watch for the “wannabe” Jews also.

 How ably the 8 NT apostolic writers laid out for both Jewish and Gentile
believers the freedom that is in the Gospel. All the OT becomes Types and
Shadows to throw light on NT teachings.

 There are 8 great periods recorded in God’s Bible for us. For a copy of
these 8 periods, plus 21/245 significant dates established by God’s Bible
Numerics through Ivan Panin, turn to our Website *<www.2rbetter.org>; *click
on “Archives,” and scroll down to “2011.02.08 Panin’s Bible Chronology.”
Click on the bottom of the page to get a pdf copy.

 You will note that Period 4 - Exodus to Temple, 480 years, 1465-986 B.C. -
lists 8 significant dates.

 Period 5, Temple to Captivity, 429 years, 985-557 B.C. - contains 11
Solomon, Temple finished, 1 Kings 6:38, 979 B.C. At this time Solomon
prayed the dedicatory prayer for the Finished Temple, which contains our
text for the day, 2 Chronicles 7:14

 Though this is called the Temple of Solomon, yet David had 7 preparatory
steps to make it easier for Solomon in its building.

a. Under Joab David captured Zion, the future site of the Temple in
Jerusalem.

b. Soon after his reign commenced as the King over total Israel, David made
plans to return the “Ark of the Covenant” to Jerusalem, the key piece of
furniture of the Temple.

c. He purchased the exact site for the Temple in Zion following the death
of Uzzah.

d. He received by the Spirit the exact “Blueprint” for the Temple, which he
passed on to Solomon.

e. He fathered Solomon, who became God’s choice to succeed David and build
the Temple

f. He prepared *much* material ahead of time for Solomon.

g. He with Samuel established the Temple worship with Levitical priests and
singers, as well as Temple order of service.

 Because of these 7 areas, though Solomon built the Temple in a 7 ½ year
time-span - yet David made this possible.

 But with all of the above said - still this verse is most applicable for
all NT believers today.

A. The 4 Conditions of Return:

1. Humble ourselves. How Jesus exemplified this! How John 13 with the
washing of His disciples’ feet set forth Divine Humility. And if Jesus -
the Son of God and Son of man set forth such a remarkable example - how
much *more* should we walk in the same spirit! Moses is the most humble of
all OT saints. The Bible says so. He did not at any time push the position
God had given him. It is God’s own testimony concerning Moses that is so
significant.

2. And *Pray*. A return to vital prayer is absolutely essential to see the
blessing of God restored. Andrew Murray and Rees Howells are worthy
examples of vital prayer, leading into glorious worship. This takes place
in the Temple at the “Altar of Incense”. The rising of the smell of incense
is a type of our prayer rising to God.

3. “Seek my Face”. It is not enough to have a vital prayer life. We must
also learn the importance of “Focusing on Jesus” and on His Father and our
Father. The relation of Jesus to the Father - *He* is the only-begotten of
the Father. You and I are but adopted! He is also the “Pre-incarnate Son”
of the Father. He merely took on humanity at the time of His birth from
Mary. Jesus is *unique*! - We are *not* of His order - to see this is part
of humbling ourselves - to see and accept this Scriptural declaration.

4. Turn from their wicked ways. This is one of the two essential aspects of
“Repentance” - a turning *from* - and then a turning *to*! True repentance
always includes these two aspects.

 *Then* - when the above 4 conditions are satisfactorily met in the eyes of
the Father - and only then - does He fulfill for Israel and us the
following 3 promises.

B. The 3 Promises.

1. God *then* hears from heaven. He hears because we are now asking
according to his will. We have satisfactorily fulfilled the above 4
conditions. 1 John 5:14-15 is now a *surety*. For God to *hear* - is for us
to receive! Believe it! It truly accords with God’s Word. *“And this is the
boldness which we have toward him, that, if we ask anything according to
his :will, he hears us; 15 and if we know that he hears us whatever we ask,
we know that we **have** the petitions which we have asked of him.”*

David first tried to return the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem on a
Philistine cart. God had to kill Uzzah to show David his folly. He then
read the Scriptures, and discovered the ark must *always* be carried on the
shoulders of Levites! Correction to this, brought safe return the second
attempt!

2. God then *forgives* our sin. He did this under the Judges of Israel 7
times! He did it following Daniel’s prayer of chapter 9, and the work of
Cyrus His servant in returning a remnant of Judah to Jerusalem. And -
forgiveness for us - is dependent upon us forgiving our trespassers!

3. “And *heal* their land”. This God did for Israel. The “land” for New
Covenant believers is the faithful promises of God in Christ *now* on our
behalf - Resurrection of our bodies at Christ’s Return” - and eternal
fellowship with Him both in Heaven and upon earth.

 So - the context for 2 Chronicles 7:14 is indeed immense. It is the 4thand 5
th Period of Bible History! It is the context of God’s entire dealing with
His chosen nation Israel! It is also pointing forward to the fulfillment of
OT prophecies to the Church, the One New Man in Christ - composed of
believing Jews and Gentiles.

 Easy to understand? No - but as we learn to fully yield ourselves to God
and *meditate* upon His Word - *then* - the Holy Spirit, our Inward Teacher
- will make these *precious* truth *real* to us.

 The “Outlined Interlinear NT” based on God’s Bible Numeric discoveries by
Ivan Panin - is now in print and available through *<
www.btjohnsonpublishing.com>.* This we believe is one of God’s last- day
provisions to speed up our ability to comprehend and walk in these truths.
- Jim Watt