ESV Study Bible Articles

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 10:46:41 PST 2012

December 11, 2012

 *2012-12-11 - ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION (ESV) STUDY BIBLE*

*NOTES - A HELP FOR EVERY FAMILY*

 *The XIX SECTIONS IN THE "NOTE" DIVISION*

*I. GOD’S PLAN FOR SALVATION, p. 2501*

 *II. BIBLICAL DOCTRINE: AN OVERVIEW, p. 2505*

*A. True Theology: Knowing and Loving God.*

*B. The Bible and Revelation*

*C. What It Means to Know God*

*D. The Character of God*

*E. The Trinity*

*F. The Person of Christ*

*G. The Holy Spirit*

*H. The Work of Christ*

*I. Mankind*

*J. God’s Relationship with Creation*

*K. Sin*

*L. Salvation*

*M. The Church*

*N. Last Things*

 *III. BIBLICAL ETHICS: AN OVERVIEW, p. 2535*

*A. Biblical Ethics: An Introduction*

*B. The Beginning of Life and Abortion*

*C. Bioethics*

*D. The End of Life*

*E. Marriage and Sexual Morality*

*F. Divorce and Remarriage*

*G. Homosexuality*

*H. Civil Government*

*I. Capital Punishment*

*J. War*

*K. Lying and Telling the Truth*

*L. Racial Discrimination*

*M. Stewardship*

 *IV. INTERPRETING THE BIBLE, p. 2561*

*A. Interpreting the Bible: An Introduction*

*B. Interpreting the Bible: A Historical Overview*

 *V. READING THE BIBLE, p. 2567*

*A. Reading the Bible Theologically*

*B. Reading the Bible as Literature*

*C. Reading the Bible in Prayer and Communion with God*

*D. Reading the Bible for Personal Application*

*E. Reading the Bible for Preaching and Public Worship*

 *VI. THE CANON OF SCRIPTURE, p. 2577*

*A. The Canon of the Old Testament*

*B. The Canon of the New Testament*

*C. The Apocrypha*

 *VII. THE RELIABILITY OF BIBLE MANUSCRIPTS, p. 2585*

*A. The Reliability of Old Testament Manuscripts*

*B. The Reliability of New Testament Manuscripts*

 *VIII. ARCHEOLOGY AND THE BIBLE, p. 2591*

*A. Archeology and the Reliability of the Old Testament*

*B. Archeology and the Reliability of the New Testament*

 *IX. THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGES OF THE BIBLE, p. 2595*

*A. Hebrew and Aramaic, and How They Work*

*B. Greek and How It Works*

 *X. THE SEPTUAGINT, p. 2601*

 *XI. HOW THE NEW TESTAMENT QUOTES AND INTERPRETS THE OLD TESTAMENT, p. 2605
*

 *XII. THE BIBLE IN CHRISTIANITY, p. 2613*

*A. Roman Catholicism*

*B. Eastern Orthodoxy*

*C. Liberal Protestantism*

*D. Evangelical Protestantism*

*E. Evangelical Protestantism and Global Christianity*

 *XIII. THE BIBLE AND WORLD RELIGIONS, p. 2623*

*A. The Bible and Contemporary Judaism*

*B. The Bible and Other World Religions*

*C. The Bible and Islam*

 *XIV. THE BIBLE AND RELIGIOUS CULTS, p. 2631*

*A. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism)*

*B. Jehovah’s Witnesses*

*C. Christian Science*

*D. New Age Movement*

 *XV. HISTORY OF SALVATION IN THE OLD TESTAMENT: PREPARING THE WAY FOR
CHRIST, p. 2635 - (A Listing of All Old Testament Books)*

 *XVI. CONCORDANCE, p. 2663*

 *XVII. DAILY BIBLE READING PLAN, p. 2743*

 *XVIII. Table of WEIGHTS AND MEASURES and Monetary Units, p. 2751*

 *XIX. Colophon, p. 2752*

 *NOTE**: I have a good number of “Study Bibles” with Biblical Articles and
Resources. However, these 250 pages at the end of the “Evangelical Standard
Version (ESV) Study Bible”, Published by Crossway - appears to me superior
to the others I have read.*

 *I would like to recommend particularly under - II. BIBLICAL DOCTRINE: AN
OVERVIEW, p. 2505, B. “The Bible and Revelation.” - Excellent. Liberals, and
Evangelicals departing from the Word Integrity position, would count it as
“Old Order” - i.e. it puts the Bible as the final court of appeal for
allarguments.
This is my position also, and I welcome the title of “Old Order”. This was
the position of Charles H. Spurgeon, and many others.*

 *Also under III. BIBLICAL ETHICS: AN OVERVIEW, p. 2535*

*G. Homosexuality. This is a clear, necessary - but gracious presentation.*

 *This Study Bible was presented to me as a gift by a friend in 2011. It is
only recently that I have had opportunity to look into these Notes. I have
made a good beginning in this invigorating and pleasant task. *

 *Evangelicalism is at a Crossroad - and all members would do well to have
a copy of this Study Bible in each family. To read these notes, study them,
and then discuss them together as a family - or in a small home-meeting
context - would do much to place us in safe moorings, well-pleasing to God.*

 *For those without the advantage of a Bible College or Seminary education
- this would do much to restore this lack.*

 *Your friend - Jim Watt*