Isaiah 46-48 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:18:49 PST 2012

December 8, 2012

 *JUL 19 - ISAIAH 46-48 - JEHOVAH SUPREME IN PUNISHMENT*

 *1. 46:3-4 (46, ESV) JEHOVAH: CONTRASTS HIMSELF WITH IDOLS. “Listen to me,
O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been
borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb; 4 even to your
old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I
will bear; I will carry and will save.” *Idols cannot do what You do in
Redemption, Father! Therefore it is only unto *You* that we look, and unto
You we pray. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 47:6 (47) JEHOVAH: FORETELLS BABYLON’S DOOM. “I was angry with my
people; I profaned my heritage; I gave them into your hand; you showed them
no mercy; on the aged you made your yoke exceedingly heavy.” *Pride of man
causes him to go beyond Your word, Father. Babylon’s harsh judgment upon
Israel reveals the ‘why’ of Your anger. Whatever is righteous in Your
sight, *do it*! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 48:3 (48:1-8) JEHOVAH’S CHARGE AGAINST JACOB. “The former things I
declared of old; they went out from my mouth, and I announced them; then
suddenly I did them, and they came to pass.” *Jacob let You down, Father.
This You foreknew, and vindicated Yourself by stating it ahead of time. For
us too, You provide before we sense a need. *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day.*

 *4. 48:9-11 JEHOVAH’S FORBEARANCE. “For my name’s sake I defer my anger,
for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, that I may not cut you
off. 10 Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in
the furnace of affliction. 11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it,
for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to
another. *Forbearance
is Your character, O Father! We can depend upon it! Your *are* a merciful
and compassionate God. How we love and thank You. *Our :daily :bread Give
us this day!*

 *5. 48:14 (48:12-15) JEHOVAH SPEAKS. “Assemble, all of you, and listen!
Who among them has declared these things? The LORD loves him; he shall
perform his purpose on Babylon, and his arm shall be against the
Chaldeans.” *You Father, will *not* suffer us to be tempted above what we
can endure. Your are merciful and righteous. Those like Babylon who have
overstepped their bounds, You *will judge*. Righteousness and Faithfulness
becomes Your Name! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 48:16-17 (48:16-19) JEHOVAH: ENJOINS OBEDIENCE. “Draw near to me, hear
this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came
to be I have been there.” And now the Lord GOD has sent me, and his Spirit. 17
Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD
your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should
go.” *Father, You are open with us; in Your Word You clearly reveal
Yourself and Your purposes. We trust You, and submit to You. *And bring us
not into temptation!*

 *7. 48:22 (48:20-22) JEHOVAH: FORETELLS JACOB’S DEPARTURE FROM BABYLON. “There
is no peace,” says the LORD, “for the wicked.” *The day of recompense for
the wicked *always* comes! Though You Father, delay judgment that more
repentance might come; yet the day of reckoning finally falls! *But deliver
us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 46:9b-10a (46) JEHOVAH: WHO TELLS THE END FROM THE BEGINNING! **“For
I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, 10
declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet
done.” *Consider!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 19:14 (19) THE LAW OF THE LORD IS PERFECT! “Let
the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your
sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.” *We marvel at Your creation
Father, and how it reflects Your power and godhead. Your Word is yet a *
clearer* revelation of Yourself. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 He is wisest who reads both the world-book and the Word-book as two
volumes of the same work and feels concerning them, “My Father wrote them
both.”

 19:1 *The h**e**avens declare the glory of God.* The book of nature has
three leaves - heaven, earth, and sea - of which heaven is the first and
the most glorious, and by its aid we are able to see the beauties of the
other two. He who begins to read creation by studying the stars begins the
book at the right place.

 The *heavens* are plural for their variety, comprising the watery heavens
with their clouds of countless forms, the aerial heavens with their calms
and tempests, and solar heavens with all the glories of the day, and the
starry heavens with all the marvels of the night; what the heaven of
heavens must be has not entered into the heart of man, but there in chief
all things are telling the glory of God. It is not merely glory that the
heavens declare, but the *glory of God*. *The firmament shows His
handy-work; *not handy, in the vulgar use of that term, but hand-work. The
expanse is full of the works of the Lord’s skillful, creating hands. In the
expanse above us God flies, as it were, His starry flag to show that the
King is at home and hangs out his escutcheon that atheists may see how He
despises their denunciations of Him. He who looks up to the firmament and
then writes himself down an atheist brands himself at the same moment as an
idiot or a liar.

 14:7 *The law of the Lord is perfect; *by which he means not merely the
law of Moses but the doctrine of God, the whole run and rule of sacred
Writ. There are no redundancies and no omissions in the Word of God and in
the plan of grace; why then do men try to paint this lily and gild this
refined gold? The gospel is perfect in all its parts, and perfect as a
whole: it is a crime to add to it, treason to alter it, and felony to take
from it. *Converting the soul*. The great means of the conversion of
sinners is the Word of God, and the more closely we keep to it in our
ministry the more likely are we to be successful. It is God’s Word rather
than man’s comment on God’s Word which is made mighty with souls.

 14:8 *The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart. *Mark the
progress; he who was converted was next made wise and is now made happy;
that truth which makes the heart right then gives joy to the right heart.

 19:10 *More to be desired are they than gold, yes, than much fine gold. *The
metaphor is one which gathers force as it is brought out - gold - fine
gold- much fine gold; it is good, better, best, and therefore it is not
only to be desired with a miser’s avidity but with more than that. Men
speak of solid gold, but what is so solid as solid truth? For love of gold
pleasure is forsworn, ease renounced, and life endangered; shall we not be
ready to do as much for love of truth?

 19:12 *Who can understand his errors? *He best knows himself who best
knows the Word, but even such a one will be in a maze of wonder as to what
he does not know, rather than on the mount of congratulation as to what he
does know. *Cleanse Thou me from secret faults.* Secret sins, like private
conspirators, must be hunted out, or they may do deadly mischief; it is
well to be much in prayer concerning them. In the Lutheran Council of the
Church of Rome, a decree was passed that every true believer must confess
his sins, all of them, once in a year to the priest, and they affixed to it
this declaration, that there is no hope of pardon but in complying with
that decree. What can equal the absurdity of such a decree as that? Do they
suppose that they can tell their sins as easily as they can count their
fingers?

 19:13 *Then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great
transgression. *He shudders at the thought of the unpardonable sin. Secret
sin is a stepping-stone to presumptuous sin, and that is the vestibule of
“the sin which is unto death.” He who tempts the devil to tempt him is in a
path which will lead him from bad to worse, and from the worse to the worst.

 19:14 *Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be
acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Strength, and my Redeemer.* Words of
the mouth are *mockery* if the heart does not *meditate*.