Isaiah 42-45 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:57:10 PST 2012

December 7, 2012

 *JUL 18 - ISAIAH 42-45 - JEHOVAH SUPREME IN REDEMPTION*

 *1. 42:1 (42:1-12, ESV) JEHOVAH: PRESENTS MESSIAH HIS SERVANT AS MAN. “Behold
my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put
my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.” *Father,
according to Your purpose, Jesus came. He fulfilled *all* You purposed! He *
finished* the work You sent Him to do. Three times from heaven, You
commended Him! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 42:6-8 (42:13-25) JEHOVAH AT THE END OF THIS AGE. “I am the LORD; I
have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you;
I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, 7 to
open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
from the prison those who sit in darkness. 8 I am the LORD; that is my
name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.” *Father,
in the above, *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 43:1-2 (43:1-12) JEHOVAH: THE GOD OF GRACE AND HIS PROMISES. But now
thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O
Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you
are mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and
through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through
fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” *Always
Father, You meet our needs, just as those of Israel! *Your :will be done,
As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 43:18-21 (43:13-28) JEHOVAH: KING OF ISRAEL WHO SUBDUES THEIR
ENEMIES. “Remember
not the former things, nor consider the things of old. 19 Behold, I am
doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will
make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. 20 The wild beasts
will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches, for I give water in the
wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people, 21 the
people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.” Our
:daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 44:3 (44:1-8) JEHOVAH: GRACIOUS ASSURANCES FROM GOD ALONE. “For I will
pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour
my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.” *Our
Father, how we see Your care for us in such promises! How we marvel at Your
grace and loving kindness (CHEsed), Your Covenant Love! We walk in
thanksgiving and praise to You. *And forgive us our :debts, As we have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 44:22 (44:9-23) JEHOVAH: SCORES IDOLATRY BUT REDEEMS ISRAEL. “I have
blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like a mist;
return to me, for I have redeemed you.” **This* is Your Redemptive Act O
Father, in Jesus! It has translated us out of Satan’s kingdom of darkness
into the kingdom of the Son of Your love! *And bring us not into temptation!
*

 *7. 44:28 (44:24-45:25) JEHOVAH: FORETELLS HIS USE OF CYRUS. Who says of
Cyrus, “He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose;” saying of
Jerusalem, “ She shall be built,” and of the temple, “Your foundation shall
be laid.” *What marvelous foreknowledge and power You display in Your
decrees, O Father! What other god is El like You? *None*! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 45:22-23; 45:2 (44:24-45:25) JEHOVAH THE OMNIPOTENT! **“Turn to
me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no
other. 23 By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in
righteousness a word that shall not return: ‘To me every knee shall bow,
every tongue shall swear allegiance.’ 2 I will go before you and level the
exalted places, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through
the bars of iron.” **You* are *this God* - the God we serve!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 18:3 (18) JEHOVAH IS MY ROCK AND MY FORTRESS! “I
call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my
enemies.” *O Jehovah Father, You have done marvelously on behalf of Your
chosen ones! None other can cause us to triumph in Christ as You are able
to do! *Hallowed** be your :name!*

 We will call it “The Grateful Retrospect.”

 18:2 *The Lord is my rock, and my fortress. *Dwelling among the crags and
mountain fastnesses of Judea, David had escaped the malice of Saul, and
here he compares his God to such a place of concealment and security.

 18:4 *The floods of the ungodly men made me afraid. *On the night of the
lamentable accident at the Surrey Music Hall, the floods of Belial were let
loose, and the subsequent remarks of a large portion of the press were
exceedingly malicious and wicked; our soul was afraid as we stood
encompassed with the sorrows of death and the blasphemies of the cruel.
But, oh, what mercy was there in it all, and what honey of goodness was
extracted by our Lord out of this flood of affliction.

 18:5 *The sorrows of hell compassed me about. *A cordon of devils hemmed
in the hunted man of God; every way of escape was closed up. Satan knows
how to block our coasts with the iron war-ships of sorrow, but blessed be
God, the port of all prayer is still open, and grace can run the blockade
bearing messages from earth to heaven and blessings in return from heaven
to earth. According to the four metaphors which he employs, he was bound
like a malefactor for execution; overwhelmed like a shipwrecked mariner;
surrounded and standing at bay like a hunted stag; and captured in a net
like a trembling bird. What more of terror and distress could meet upon
one, defenseless head?

 18:18 *They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my
stay. *What a blessed “but” which cuts the Gordian knot and slays the
hundred-headed hydra! There is no fear of deliverance when our stay is in
Jehovah.

 18:19 *He brought me forth also into a large place. *The Lord does not
leave His work half done, for having routed the foe, He leads out the
captive into liberty. *He delivered me, because He delighted in me. *Why
Jehovah should delight in us is an answerless question, a mystery which
angels cannot solve. Believer, sit down, and inwardly digest the
instructive sentence now before us, and learn to view the uncaused love of
God as the cause of all the lovingkindness of which we are partakers.

 18:20 *The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness. *Viewing this
Psalm as prophetic of the Messiah, these strongly expressed claims to
righteousness are readily understood, for His garments were white as snow;
but considered as the language of David, they have perplexed many. David’s
early trouble arose from the wicked malice of envious Saul, who no doubt
prosecuted his persecutions under cover of charges brought against the
character of “the man after God’s own heart.” These charges David declares
to have been utterly false and asserts that he possessed a grace-given
righteousness which the Lord had graciously rewarded in defiance of all his
calumniators. Before God, the man after God’s own heart was a humble
sinner, but before his slanderers he could with unblushing face speak of
the *cleanness of his hands and* the righteousness of his life. It is not
at all an opposition to the doctrine of salvation by grace, and no sort of
evidence of a pharisaic spirit, when a gracious man, having been slandered,
stoutly maintains his integrity and vigorously defends his character. *(from
“The Treasury of David” by C. H. Spurgeon, abridged by D. O. Fuller)*