Isaiah 40-41 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:35:51 PST 2012

December 6, 2012

 *JUL 17 - ISAIAH 40-41 - JEHOVAH: SUPREME IN ATTRIBUTES*

 *1. 40:1-2 (40:1-8, ESV) MESSIAH: REDEMPTION THROUGH FIRST COMING. “Comfort,
comfort my people, says your God. 2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to
her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has
received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins.” *Father, You
*never*reward our iniquity in measure, but
*always* in Grace and Mercy. You remember our make-up. Mercy and judgment
kiss each other. *Hallowed by your :name!*

 *2. 40:9 (40:9-11) MESSIAH: REJOICING THROUGH SECOND COMING. “Get you up
to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good news; lift up your voice with
strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good news; lift it up, fear not; say to
the cities of Judah, ‘Behold your God!’” *How marvelous is Your Timing, O
Father. Not even Your Son knew this day. But He will return in Your Timing,
and we will behold the wisdom of our God! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 40:28 (40:12-28) JEHOVAH: HIS OMNISCIENCE. “Have you not known? Have
you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of
the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is
unsearchable.” *There is *nothing* You do not know, O Father! Marvelous is
Your knowledge! Before we ask, You have already anticipated and provided! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 40:31 (40:29-31) JEHOVAH: HIS OMNIPOTENCE. “But they who wait for the
LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like
eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” *All
our hidden springs are in You, O Great Jehovah Father. You have provided it
all in Christ! Why are we so blind and striving for self-sufficiency? *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 41:4 (41:1-7) JEHOVAH: FOREKNOWLEDGE THROUGH CYRUS. “Who has performed
and done this, calling the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD, the
first, and with the last; I am he.” *You Father, provided Cyrus for
Israel’s restoration before ever Daniel perceived the timing and
interceded! How awesome is Your Fore-knowledge, O Great Jehovah Father. We
humble ourselves before You. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 41:10 (41:8-20) JEHOVAH: OMNIPOTENT PURPOSE THROUGH ISRAEL. “Fear not,
for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen
you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” *None
can say, No! to You, Father. Your purposes shall prevail. Your salvation on
our behalf and on behalf of Israel *shall be* consummated. Satan’s
opposition is puny. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 41:21 (41:21-29) JEHOVAH: ASSERTS HIS INFALLIBLE FOREKNOWLEDGE. “Set
forth your case, says the LORD; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob*.*”
*You Father, have no counselor with wisdom to instruct You. There is
*none*beside You. In Christ we magnify You!
*But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 40:29-30 (40:29-31) JEHOVAH: HIS OMNIPOTENCE. **“He gives power
to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. 30 Even
youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted.” *O
give us a revelation of our transitory and feeble life! Show us that we are
but dust, and our span as but a breath! Then we will relate to You as sons
and daughters of an all-caring and all-sufficient Father!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 17:3 (17) IN THE SHADOW OF YOUR WINGS. “You have
tried my heart, you have visited me by night, you have tested me, and you
will find nothing; I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress.” *Jehovah
Father, This is the day You have made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
You instruct us in the night seasons through dreams and visions. *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 Title and Subject: “A Prayer of David.” David would not have been a man
after God’s own heart if he had not been a man of prayer. He was a master
in the sacred art of supplication. He flew to prayer in all times of need
as a pilot speeds to the harbor in the stress of tempest. We have in the
present plaintive song “An Appeal to Heaven” from the persecutions of earth.

 17:3 *You have tried me, and shall find nothing.* Surely the Psalmist
means nothing hypocritical or wicked in the sense in which his slanderers
accused him; for if the Lord should put the best of His people into the
crucible, the dross would be a fearful sight and would make penitence open
her sluices wide. Assayers very soon detect the presence of alloy, and when
the Chief of all assayers shall, at the last, say of us that He has found
nothing, it will be a glorious hour indeed - “They are without fault before
the throne of God.” Even here, as viewed in our covenant Head, the Lord
sees no sin in Jacob nor perverseness in Israel; even the all-detecting
glance of Omniscience can see no flaw where the great Substitute covers all
with beauty and perfection. *I am purposed that my mouth shall not
transgress*. The number of diseases of the tongue is as many as the
diseases of all the rest of the man put together, and they are more
inveterate. It needs more than a purpose to keep this nimble offender
within its proper range. Lion-taming and serpent charming are not to be
mentioned in the same day as tongue taming, for the tongue can no man tame.
David desired in all respects to tune his lips to the sweet and simple
music of truth. Notwithstanding all this, David was slandered, as if to
show us that the purest innocence will be bemired by malice. There is not
sunshine without a shadow, no ripe fruit unpecked by the birds.

 17:8 *Keep me as the apple of the eye. *The all-wise Creator has placed
the eye in a well-protected position; it stands surrounded by projecting
bones like Jerusalem encircled by mountains. Moreover, its great Author has
surrounded it with many tunics of inward covering besides the hedge of the
eyebrows, the curtain of the eyelids, and the fence of the eyelashes; and,
in addition to this, he has given to every man so high a value for his eyes
and so quick an apprehension of danger that no member of the body is more
faithfully cared for than the organ of sight.

 17:14 *Whose belly You fill with Your hid treasure. **A* generous man does
not deny dogs their bones; and our generous God gives even His enemies
enough to fill them, if they were not so unreasonable as never to be
content. Gold and silver which are locked up in the dark treasuries of the
earth are given to the wicked liberally, and they therefore roll in all
manner of carnal delights.

 17:15 When a Roman conqueror had been at war and won great victories, he
would return to Rome with his soldiers, enter privately into his house, and
enjoy himself till the next day, when he would go out of the city to
re-enter it publicly in triumph. Now, the saints, as it were, enter
privately into heaven without their bodies; but on the last day, when their
bodies wake up, they will enter into their triumphal chariots. Methinks I
see that grand procession, when Jesus Christ first of all, with many crowns
on His head, with His bright, glorious, immortal body, shall lead the way.
“I shall be satisfied” in that glorious day when all the angels of God
shall come to see the triumphs of Jesus, and when His people shall be
victorious with Him. (From “The Treasury of David” by C. H. Spurgeon,
abridged by David Otis Fuller.)