Isaiah 36-39 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:32:58 PST 2012

December 5, 2012

 *JUL 16 - ISAIAH 36-39 - HISTORICAL EXPLANATION*

 *1. 36:7 (36:1-10, ESV) HEZEKIAH: INVADED AND INSULTED BY ASSYRIA. But if
you say to me, “We trust in the LORD our God,” is it not he whose high
places and altars Hezekiah has removed, saying to Judah and to Jerusalem,
’You shall worship before this altar’”? *Jehovah Father, Your servant
*did*remove the high places and altars of heathen gods and spirits,
and left
only Your altar in Jerusalem! There Rabshakey and all like him shall
fall! *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 36:21 (36:11-22) HEZEKIAH: INSULTS INTENSIFIED. “But they were silent
and answered him not a word, for the king’s command was, ‘Do not answer
him.’” *Father, You set Hezekiah over Your people Israel as their shepherd.
As Israel obeyed him, they were obeying You! We too honor those You have
set over us to rule us. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 37:3 (37:1-20) HEZEKIAH: SEEKS GOD IN PRAYER. They said to him, “Thus
says Hezekiah, ‘This day is a day of distress, of rebuke, and of disgrace;
children have come to the point of birth, and there is no strength to bring
them forth.’” *It is good to seek You Father, through Your servants the
prophets. For whether directly or indirectly, *You* are the giver of every
good and perfect gift! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 37:31-32 (37:21-38) HEZEKIAH: GOD’S ANSWER THROUGH ISAIAH. “And the
surviving remnant of the house of Judah shall again take root downward and
bear fruit upward. 32 For out of Jerusalem shall go a remnant, and out of
Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do
this.” *How good it is to trust in You, O Father! When we seek You, You
answer us, and give us comforting words. *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day!*

 *5. 38:2-3 (38:1-3) HEZEKIAH’S SICKNESS AND PRAYER. “Then Hezekiah turned
his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, 3 and said, ‘Please, O LORD,
remember how I have walked before you in faithfulness and with a whole
heart, and have done what is good in your sight.’ And Hezekiah wept
bitterly.” *Father, it is right to seek Your face in time of trouble. It is
right to weep before You. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 38:7-8 (38:4-22) HEZEKIAH: GOD’S ANSWER THROUGH ISAIAH. “This shall be
the sign to you from the LORD, that the LORD will do this thing that he has
promised: 8 Behold, I will make the shadow cast by the declining sun on the
dial of Ahaz turn back ten steps.” So the sun turned back on the dial the
ten steps by which it had declined. *Who is a god like our Elohim? Jehovah
Father, there is *none* like unto You, a God doing wonders! *And bring us
not into temptation!*

 *7. 39:6 (39) HEZEKIAH’S FOLLY. “Behold, the days are coming, when all
that is in your house, and that which your fathers have stored up till this
day, shall be carried to Babylon. Nothing shall be left, says the LORD.” *If
we sin in pride, You Father, in love chastise us as sons. Your are our
ruler! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 37:35 (37:21-38) **HEZEKIAH: RECEIVES UNDERSTANDING FOR COMING
DELIVERANCE. “For I will defend this city to save it, for my own sake and
for the sake of my servant David.” *We bless You Jehovah Father, for You
are a *Covenant* God Who remembers Your promises to our fathers. *
Faithfulness* and *Covenant Love* becomes Your Name forever!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 16:6-7 (16) YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL. “The
lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful
inheritance. 7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my
heart instructs me.” *Jehovah Father, we will bless You at all times; Your
praise shall *continually* be in our mouths. You are bringing us into
Glory! Your Spirit speaks to us in dreams of the night. *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 Title: “Michtam of David.” This is usually understood to mean the Golden
Psalm. Ainsworth calls it “David’s jewel, or notable song,” The Psalm of
the Precious Secret. We are not left to human interpreters for the key to
this golden mystery, for, speaking by the Holy Spirit, Peter tells us,
“David speaks concerning Him” (Acts 2:25). The Apostle Paul, led by the
same infallible inspiration, quotes from this Psalm and testifies that
David wrote of the man through whom is preached unto us the forgiveness of
sins (Acts 13:35-38). It has been the usual plan of commentators to apply
the Psalm both to David, to the saints, and to the Lord Jesus, but we shall
venture to believe that in it “Christ is all”; since in the ninth and tenth
verses, like the apostles on the mount, we can see “no man but Jesus only.”

 16:1 *“Preserve me,” *keep, or save me, or as Horseley thinks, “guard me,”
even as body-guards surround their monarch, or as shepherds protect their
flocks. One of the great names of God is “the Preserver of men” (Job 7:20),
and this gracious office the Father exercised toward our Mediator and
Representative. It has been promised to the Lord Jesus in express words,
that He should be preserved (Isaiah 49:7-8).

 16:2 *O my soul, you have said unto the Lord, You are my Lord*. In His
inmost heart, the Lord Jesus bowed Himself to do service to His heavenly
Father, and before the throne of Jehovah His soul vowed allegiance to the
Lord for our sakes. *My goodness extends not to You*. Although the
life-work and death agony of the Son did reflect unparalleled luster upon
every attribute of God, yet the Most Blessed and Infinitely Happy God stood
in no need of the obedience and death of His Son; it was for our sakes that
the work of redemption was undertaken and not because of any lack or want
on the part of the Most High. How modestly does the Savior here estimate
His own goodness

 16:4 Sin and the Savior have no communion. He came to destroy, not to
patronize or be allied with the works of the devil. Hence He refused the
testimony of unclean spirits as to His Divinity, for in nothing would He
have fellowship with darkness. We should be careful above measure not to
connect ourselves in the remotest degree with falsehood in religion. *Their
drink offerings of blood will I not offer. *The old proverb says, “It is
not safe to eat at the devil’s mess, though the spoon be ever so long.” The
mere mentioning of ill names, it were well to avoid -* **nor take up their
names into my lips. ** *If we allow poison upon the lip, it may ere long
penetrate to the inwards, and it is well to keep out of the mouth that
which we would shut out from the heart. If the church would enjoy union
with Christ, she must break all bonds of impiety and keep herself pure from
all the pollutions of carnal will-worship, which now pollute the service of
God.

 16:6 *The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yes, I have a
goodly heritage.* Jesus found the way of obedience to lead into “pleasant
places.” Notwithstanding all the sorrows which marred his countenance, He
exclaimed, “Lo, I come; in the volume of the book it is written of Me, I
delight to do Your will, O my God: yes, Your law is within My heart.” It
may seems strange, but while no other man was ever so thoroughly acquainted
with grief, it is our belief that no other man ever experienced so much joy
and delight in service, for no other served so faithfully and with such
great results in view as His recompense of reward. (Taken from “The
Treasury of David” by C. H. Spurgeon, abridged by David Otis Fuller)