Proverbs 25-29 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:13:53 PST 2012

November 22, 2012

 *JUL 7 - PROVERBS 25-29 - SOLOMON: COPIED BY HEZEKIAH*

 *1. 25:28 (25, ESV) PROVERBS FOR PILGRIMS. “A man without self-control is
like a city broken into and left without walls.” *Father, this is a serious
word You have spoken unto us. And how can we rule our spirits except we
first deliberately, voluntarily, sacrificially and *joyfully* turn our body
over to You as a daily, living sacrifice? Unless we daily deny ourself,
take up our cross and follow You? *Then* all Your promises begin to come
true, and we can *Hallow your :name!*

 *2. 26:22 (26) PROVERBS MAJORING ON THE TONGUE. “The words of a whisperer
are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body.”
*Father, we know the hurt and harm that comes to us through the sin of a
talebearer against us. We choose to forgive him this sin. And Father, we
choose with Your help to walk in Psalm 141:3, and not sin against our
brother. And where we have sinned in this respect, please forgive us and
guide us in making restitution. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 27:17 (27:1-17) PROVERBS OF WISDOM. “Iron sharpens iron, and one man
sharpens another.” *We acknowledge O Father, that we cannot be our best for
You apart from earnest, honest and friendly discussion. We have blind spots
and need this ministry, to be our best for You. By engaging in this, we
have no doubt it will increase our joy! *Your :will be done, As in heaven,
so on earth.*

 *4. 27:21 (27:18-27) PROVERBS ON DILIGENCE. “The crucible is for silver,
and the furnace is for gold, and a man is tested by his praise.” *The
fining-pot refines silver, and the furnace gold; but praise to a man,
whether his own or others, refines him according as he receives it. Father,
let another man praise us, and not our own mouth, and let it humble and
refine us; for it is You in us being praised! *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day!*

 *5. 28:2 (28) PROVERBS OF PRACTICALITIES. “When a land transgresses, it
has many rulers, but with a man of understanding and knowledge, its
stability will long continue.” *See how king Saul brought blood-guiltiness
on the land, but David atoned for his sin (2 Samuel 21:1-14). Father, help
us to search out areas where the land has been polluted, and bring 2
Chronicles 7:14 and Daniel 9 to bear. Be also our armor! *And forgive us
our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 29:7 (29:1-14) PROVERBS OF RELATIONSHIPS. “A righteous man knows the
rights of the poor; a wicked man does not understand such knowledge.” *O
Father, let us continually see the needs spiritual and natural - of both
believers and unbelievers. Let us consider how You would help them through
us. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 29:17 (29:15-27) PROVERBS FOR CHILDREN. “Discipline your son, and he
will give you rest; he will give delight to your heart.” *Father, You love
us enough to discipline us, that we might mature spiritually, and become
sons of glory. We thank You for Your faithful love in discipline. We choose
to do the same for our children, both natural and spiritual. *But deliver
us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: 29:18 (29:15-27) PROVERBS FOR CHILDREN. **“Where there is no
vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.”
*O Father, give us a *progressive* vision. For the path of the just lights
us increasingly. We choose to let Your Word lead us into praise and prayer
daily!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 7:17 (7) IN YOU DO I TAKE REFUGE! “I will give to
the LORD the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will sing praise to the
name of the LORD, the Most High.” *Father, we are humbled by the revelation
of Your Greatness, Your righteousness and Your highness. And yet You have
humbled Yourself to become like one of us, that we might become the
righteousness of God in You, O Christ. Such love is beyond us! Therefore,
we *Hallow your :name!*

 It appears probable that Cush the Benjamite had accused David to Saul of
treasonable conspiracy against his royal authority. This may be called the
“Song of the Slandered Saint.” Even this sorest of evils may furnish
occasion for a Psalm.

 7:1 *O Lord my God, in You do I put my trust! *The case is here opened
with an avowal of confidence in God. Whatever may be the emergency of our
condition, we shall never find it amiss to retain our reliance upon our
God. *“O Lord, **my** God”* - mine by a special covenant, sealed by Jesus’
blood, and ratified in my own soul by a sense of union to You; *in You, *and
in You only *do I put my trust, * even now in my sore distress. I shake,
but my rock moves not. It is never right to distrust God and never vain to
trust Him!

 7:2 *Lest he tear my soul like a lion*. There was one among David’s foes
mightier than the rest. From this foe, he urgently seeks deliverance.
Perhaps this was Saul, his royal enemy; but in our case there is one who
goes about like a lion, seeking whom he may devour, concerning whom we
should cry, “Deliver us from the evil one.” *Rending it in pieces, while
there is none to deliver. *This is a soul-moving portrait of a saint
delivered over to the will of Satan. This will make the bowels of Jehovah
yearn. A father cannot be silent when a child is in such peril. It will be
well for us here to remember that this is a description of the danger to
which the Psalmist was exposed from slanderous tongues. Slander leaves a
slur, even if it be wholly disproved. If God was slandered in Eden, we
shall surely be maligned in this land of sinners. If we would live without
being slandered, we must wait till we get to heaven!

 7:11 *God is angry with the wicked every day.* We have no insensible and
stolid God to deal with; He can be angry; no, He *is* angry today and every
day with you, you ungodly and impenitent sinners. The best day that ever
dawns on a sinner brings a curse with it!

 7:13 *Instruments of death**. * Remember, God’s arrows never miss the
mark, and are every one of them “instruments of death.”

 7:14 *He made a pit, and dug it. *He stooped to the dirty work of digging.
He did not fear to soil his own hands; he was willing to work in a ditch if
others might fall therein. What mean things men will do to wreak vengeance
on the godly!

 7:16. *His mischief shall return upon his own head.* Ashes always fly back
in the face of him that throws them. - from “The Treasury of David” by
Charles Spurgeon, abridged by David O. Fuller.