Proverbs 21-24 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:47:52 PST 2012

November 21, 2012

 *JUL 6 - PROVERBS 21-24 - MAXIMS AND COUNSELS*

 *1. 21:2 (21, ESV) CHARACTER BUILDING PROVERBS FOR A SON. “Every way of
man is right in his own eyes but the LORD weighs the heart.” *Father, You
look upon our motives and attitudes as You taught Samuel when choosing
David. Let the words of our mouth, and the meditation of our heart be
acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, our strength and our Redeemer (Psalm
19:14). Search us O God, and know our heart. Come Your Kingdom, which is
righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 22:6 (22:1-16) GOOD COUNSEL FOR A SON. “Train up a child in the way he
should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” *But this takes
time, patience and love. Yet this is what You do with us, Father. Your
purpose is to bring many sons into glory - for us to be like Jesus. You
love us too much to let us stray unchallenged. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 22:22-23 (22:17-29) WORD FOR A WISE SON. “Do not rob the poor because
he is poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate, 23 for the LORD will plead
their cause and rob of life those who rob them.” *Let us O Father, always
regard the life of a poor and needy man. Let us share of our abundance. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth*

 *4. 23:13-14 (23:1-21) WISE WORDS FOR A SON. “Do not withhold discipline
from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. 14 If you
strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.” *Forgive us
Father, for not taking Your Word seriously. Forgive us for not seeing that *You
and Your Word* are *one* (John 1:1; 2 Peter 1:4)! Forgive us for letting
the unbelief of the world intimidate us. Forgive us for not being willing
to suffer reproach for Your Word’s sake! *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day.*

 *5. 23:23 (23:22-35) A FATHER AND MOTHER’S DESIRE FOR A SON. “Buy truth,
and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.” *O Lord,
You are the Truth (John 14:6), and Your Word is truth (John 17:17), and the
Paraclete is the Spirit of Truth (John 15:26). We break the spirit of error
over our children, and into them we loose the Spirit of Truth, that Christ be
within them. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 24:3-4 (24:1-20) WISDOM FOR A SON CONCERNING EVIL. “By wisdom a house
is built, and by understanding it is established; 4 by knowledge the rooms
are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.” *Any child following
this format will be delivered from the evil one. Father, let this truth
sink deeply into the heart of our sons and daughters. *And bring us not
into temptation.*

 *7. 24:27 (24:21-34) WORDS ON RELATIONSHIP FOR A SON. “Prepare your work
outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that
build your house.” *We seek *first* Your Kingdom and Your righteousness
Father, and then all things we need will be added unto us. First complete
love to You Father, and then to neighbor as ourselves. Father, we pledge to
live You out in this truth. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: *What a prayer for our sons and daughters. How wonderful to pray
the Lord’s Prayer on their behalf from these truths of Scripture. O Father,
You are worthy of our deepest praise in the light of these Prayer-truths!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 6:9 (6) O LORD, DELIVER MY LIFE! “The LORD has
heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer.” *In the midst of our troubles
Father, You are always there. When we cry unto You in our distress, You
always hear. As a mother is sensitive to the cry of her child, so are You
aware of the best for Your child. *Hallowed be your :name, *for we can *
always* trust You!

 This Psalm is commonly known as the first of “The Penitential Psalms,” and
certainly its language well becomes the lip of a penitent, for it expresses
at once the sorrow (6:3, 6-7), the humiliation (6:2, 4), and the hatred of
sin (6:8), which are the unfailing marks of the contrite spirit when it
turns to God.

 6:2 *For I am weak*. Urge not your goodness or your greatness, but plead
your sin and your littleness. A sense of sin had so spoiled the Psalmist’s
pride, so taken away his vaunted strength, that he found himself weak to
obey the law, weak through the sorrow that was in him, too weak perhaps, to
lay hold on the promise. “I am weak.” The original may be read, “I am one
who droops,” or withered like a blighted plant.

 6:4. *For Your mercies sake.* If we turn to justice, what plea can we
urge? But if we turn to mercy, we may still cry, notwithstanding the
greatness of our guilt, “Save me for Your mercies’ sake.”

 Observe how frequently David here pleads the Name of Jehovah, which is
always intended where the word LORD is given in capitals. Five times in
four verses we here meet with it. Is not this a proof that the glorious
name is full of consolation to the tempted saint?

 6:6 *I am weary with my groaning.** *God’s people may groan but they may
not grumble! It may seem a marvelous change in David, being a man of such
magnitude of mind, to be thus dejected and cast down. Prevailed he not
against Goliath, against the lion and the bear, through fortitude and
magnanimity? But now he is sobbing, sighing, and weeping like a child! When
men and beasts are his opposites, then he is more than a conqueror; but
when he has to do with God against whom he sinned, then he is less than
nothing.

 *All the night I make my bed to swim*; or, “I caused my bed to swim.” As
the woman with the bloody issue that touched the hem of Christ’s garment
was no less welcome to Christ than Thomas, who put his fingers in the print
of the nails, so God looks not at the quantity, but the sincerity of our
repentance. Conviction sometimes has such an effect upon the body that even
the outward organs are made to suffer.

 6:8. *Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity. *Repentance is a
practical thing. It is not enough to bemoan the desecration of the temple
of the heart; we must scourge out the buyers and sellers and overturn the
tables of the money-changers. A pardoned sinner will hate the sins which
cost the Savior His blood. - Charles Spurgeon - from “The Treasury of
David”, abridged by David Otis Fuller