Proverbs 30 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:50:38 PST 2012

November 26, 2012

 *JUL 8 - PROVERBS 30 - WORDS OF AGUR*

 *1. 30:2-3 (30:1-3) WORDS OF AGUR. “Surely I am too stupid to be a man. I
have not the understanding of a man. 3 I have not learned wisdom, nor have
I knowledge of the Holy One.” *Father, it is good for us to know our
limitations. It is good to be chastened and humbled. It is good to have a
broken and contrite heart. Let the fruit of the Spirit, the beauty of
Christ: gentleness, meekness, longsuffering - come in us. *Hallowed be your
:name!*

 *2. 30:4 QUESTIONS. “Who has ascended to heaven and come down? Who has
gathered the wind in his fists? Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what
is his son’s name? Surely you know! *Father, as Agur sought for wisdom and
answers - especially to know You better - so we seek You and Your Son
Jesus! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 30:5-6 GOD’S WORDS. “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to
those who take refuge in him. 6 Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you
and you be found a liar.” *Your Word O Father, is *purified* 7 times.
Forever, O Jehovah, Your Word is settled in heaven (Deuteronomy 12:32;
Revelation 22:18-19). We will always trust You through Your Word, and we
know *Your* faithfulness! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 30:8 (30:7-9) AGUR’S REQUESTS. “Remove far from me falsehood and
lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is
needful for me.” *If we have too much, we tend to forget You; if we have
too little, we are tempted to dishonesty. Forgive us Father, for wrong
attitudes toward You, carelessness, forgetfulness, lack of love and
appreciation. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 30:10 ACCUSATION. “Do not slander a servant to his master, lest he
curse you, and you be held guilty.” *Father, teach us to go first to a
brother with a fault, before telling anyone else. Let us deliver ourselves
of a grievance in the correct way (Matthew 18:15-17). Let us remember the
Golden rule! Then we can count on you Lord Jesus, to be both our inward and
outward armor. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 30:18-19 (30:11-31) SIX GROUPS OF FOUR THINGS. “Three things are too
wonderful for me; four I do not understand: 19 the way of an eagle in the
sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas,
and the way of a man with a virgin.” *Shy young men as well as strong men,
know how to find their mate. You have put in us the wisdom for this,
Father! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 30:32 (30:32-33) FORBEARANCE. “If you have been foolish, exalting
yourself, or if you have been devising evil, put your hand on your mouth.” *We
humble ourselves and ask forgiveness from You Father, and from the one we
have offended. We thank You for the wisdom and convicting power of Your
Word. Ever keep us with a humble and contrite heart. *But deliver us from
the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: *Thank You Father for all the variety and helpfulness in Your
Word. It is like a beautiful garden, with all manner of fruit and beauty.
All we need we find in it. And best of all, beyond the sacred page, we find
*You*, Lord!

 Our Psalm for the day: 8:6 (8) *HOW MAJESTIC IS YOUR NAME! * *“You have
given him (man) dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all
things under his feet.” *You have made man a little lower than Elohim; yet
to rule angels, ministering spirits to the heirs of salvation. What
purposes for man You have planned for all Your creation! No wonder Father,
we *Hallow your :name!*

 We may style this Psalm “the Song of the Astronomer.” 8:1 *O Lord our
Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth! Who has set Your glory
above the heavens. *Unable to express the glory of God, the Psalmist utters
a note of exclamation. O Jehovah, our Lord! The solid fabric of the
universe leans upon His eternal arm. Universally is He present, and
everywhere is His name excellent.

Descend, if you will, into the lowest depths of the ocean, where
undisturbed the water sleeps, and the very sand is motionless in unbroken
quiet, but the glory of the Lord is there, revealing its excellence in the
silent palace of the sea. Borrow the wings of the morning and fly to the
uttermost parts of the sea, but God is there. Mount to the highest heaven,
or dive into the deepest hell, and God is in both hymned in everlasting
song or justified in terrible vengeance. Everywhere and in every place, God
dwells and is manifestly at work. We can scarcely find more fitting words
that those of Nehemiah, “You, even You, are Lord alone; You have made
heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all
things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and You
preserve them all; and the host of heaven worships You.” Returning to the
text we are led to observe that this Psalm is addressed to God, because
none but the Lord Himself can fully know His own glory!

 8:2 *Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings You have ordained strength
because of Your enemies.* How often will children tell us of a God Whom we
have forgotten! Did not the children cry, “Hosannah!” in the Temple, when
proud Pharisees were silent and contemptuous?And did not the Savior quote
these very words as a justification of their infantile cries? When one of
the popish chaplains told Mr. Wishart, the great Scotch martyr, that he had
a devil in him, a child that stood by cried out, “A devil cannot speak such
words as yonder man speaks.” One more instance is still nearer to our time.
In a postscript to one of his letter, in which he details his persecution
when first preaching in Moorfields, Whitefield says, “I cannot help adding
that several little boys and girls were fond of sitting round me on the
pulpit while I preached, and handed to me people’s notes - though they were
often pelted with eggs, dirt, etc., thrown at me - never one gave way; but
on the contrary, every time I was struck, turned up their little weeping
eyes, and seemed to wish they could receive the blows for me. God make
them, in their growing years, great and living martyrs for Him, who, ‘out
of the mouths of babes and sucklings, perfects praise!’”

 8:4 *What is man, that You are mindful of him? and the son of man, that
You visit him? *Perhaps there are no rational beings throughout the
universe among whom pride would appear more unseemly or incompatible than
in man, considering the situation in which he is placed. He is exposed to
numerous degradations and calamities, to the rage of storms and tempests,
the devastations of earthquakes and volcanoes, the fury of whirlwinds, and
the tempestuous billows of the ocean, to the ravages of the sword, famine,
pestilence, and numerous diseases; and at length he must sink into the
grave, and his body must become the companion of worms! The most dignified
and haughty of the sons of men are liable to these and similar degradations
as well as the meanest of the human family. Yet, in such circumstances, man
- that puny worm of the dust, whose knowledge is so limited, and whose
follies are so numerous and glaring - has the effrontery to strut in all
the haughtiness of pride, and to glory in his shame. Dr. Chalmers, in
his *Astronomical
Discourses*, very truthfully says, “We gave you but a feeble image of our
comparative insignificance, when we said that the glories of an extended
forest would suffer no more from the fall of a single leaf, that the
glories of this extended universe would suffer though the globe we tread
upon, ‘and all that it inherits, should dissolve.’” C. H. S.