Proverbs 1-7 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 09:30:49 PST 2012

November 18, 2012

 *JUL 3 - PROVERBS 1-7 - A FATHER’S COUNSEL: WARNINGS AND WISDOM*

 *1. 1:23 (1, ESV) PROVERBS: THEIR DESIGN. “If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you: I will make my words known to
you.” *Father, Your Kingdom is righteousness, and peace, and joy in the
Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17). This day we say, Come Your Kingdom in the
Holy Spirit.
Let righteousness, peace and joy be our portion in You *all* this day!
*Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 2:6 (2) WISDOM: ITS PRESERVING QUALITY. “For the LORD gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” *Almighty Father, surely
this is an expression of Your will for us this day. Be done Your will in us
here on earth, as Your angels and saints even now perform it in heaven. Let
wisdom preserve us this day. *Jesus* *is* our wisdom! (1 Corinthians 1:30).
*Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:5-6 (3) WISDOM: ITS MULTI-FACETED BLESSING. “Trust in the LORD with
all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your
ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” *Yes Father,
and You will direct our paths in the way of this day’s provision. Manna
from heaven for our soul, and practical provision for our body. *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 4:18 (4) WISDOM: SET FORTH BY A FATHER. “But the path of the righteous
is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full
day.” *And how can this take place Father? By walking in love, contrition,
repentance and reconciliation. By humbling ourselves, confessing our sins,
and walking in forgiveness. Our light now shines forth more and more in
righteousness, peace, joy and love! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 5:21 (5) WISDOM: WITHHOLDS YOUNG PEOPLE FROM ADULTERY. “For a man’s
ways are before the eyes of the LORD, and he ponders all his paths.” *We
consider this; Your eye is upon us. As we recognize this, You will be our
armor, and will keep us back from unnecessary testing. Father, we bless You
that You are bringing *many* sons into glory! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 6:22 (6) WARNINGS: IN A NUMBER OF AREAS. “When you walk, they will
lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake,
they will talk with you.” **This* is Your spiritual Urim and Thummim
Father, for believers! It infallibly led David and kings in former days.
Your *RE*ma-word in our hearts will do the same for us today, Father. *And
bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 7:2 (7) WISDOM: WITHHOLDS SINGLES FROM FORNICATION. “Keep my
commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye.” *This is
how Father, we will praise You, and return unto You. When we obey Your
Word, You hold back Your servants from presumptuous sin. *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:33 (1) THE CALL OF WISDOM. **“But whoever listens to me will
dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” *Father, let
all our young people, children and adults - perceive the wonder and
truthfulness of this promise. May this whole day’s reading fill us with
delight!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 3:3 (3) SAVE ME, O MY GOD! “But you, O LORD, are a
shield about me; my glory, and the lifter of my head.” *O how wonderful to
praise You O Jehovah Father, and to recognize and receive You in fact and
reality as our Shield, our glory, and the Lifter of our head. Who else is a
God like You? *Hallowed be your :name!*

 Psalm 3 is a Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom, his son. You will
remember the sad story of David’s flight from his own palace, when, in the
dead of the night, he forded the brook Kedron and went with a few faithful
followers to hide himself for a while from the fury of his rebellious son.
Remember that David in this was a type of the Lord Jesus Christ. He, too,
fled; He, too, passed over the brook Kedron when His own people were in
rebellion against Him, and with a feeble band of followers, He went to the
Garden of Gethsemane. He, too, drank of the brook by the way, and therefore
does He lift up the head. By very many expositors, this is entitled “The
Morning Hymn.” May we ever wake with holy confidence in our hearts and a
song upon our lips! C. H. S.

 3:8. *Salvation belongs unto the Lord. *This verse contains the sum and
substance of Calvinistic doctrine. Search Scripture through, and you must,
if you read it with a candid mind, be persuaded that the doctrine of
salvation by grace alone *is* the great doctrine of the Word of God. This
is a point concerning which we are daily fighting. Our opponents say,
“Salvation belongs to the free will of man; if not to man’s merit, yet at
least to man’s will”; but we hold and teach that salvation from first to
last, in every iota of it, belongs to the Most high God. It is God that
chooses His people. He calls them by His grace; He quickens them by His
Spirit, and keeps them by His power. It is not of man, neither by man; “not
of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy.” May
we all learn this truth experimentally, for our proud flesh and blood will
never permit us to learn it in any other way. C. H. Spurgeon, from “The
Treasury of David” abridgment by David Otis Fuller.

 George Muller started out in his 20’s holding forth for free-will
uppermost. He called the above “a devilish doctrine”. A lady asked him,
“Have you ever done a thorough Bible study on this subject?” He
acknowledged that he had not. Then please, she said, do not speak any more
on this subject until you have done so. This word did not upset him. Rather
he went through the entire Bible verse by verse on this subject. He
discovered that 80% of references on this subject speak of salvation coming
to us by grace. Then afterwards, as he walked in this new insight for him,
he discovered that the other 20% made sense in the same direction, once he
had started this way.

 George Whitefield walked this same path, and reasoned Charles Wesley into
the same position. John Wesley however retained the other position his
entire life. George Whitefield walked with John in full Christian
fellowship in spite of their different viewpoints. I feel the same way as
George Whitefield. I have dear friends on both sides of this question, and
know that we will together have fellowship in heaven. “In essentials,
unity; in non-essentials, tolerance; in all things, charity or love.”

* *