Romans 12:1-16:23 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:28:38 PST 2012

November 13, 2012

 *JUL 1 - ROMANS 12:1-16:23 - PRACTICAL OUTWORKING OF JUSTIFICATION*

 *1. 12:1-2 (NNT) PRACTICAL SPIRITUAL SERVICE. “I beseech you therefore,
brethren, by the mercies of :God, to present your :bodies a living
sacrifice, holy, well-pleasing to God, your spiritual service. 2 And be not
fashioned according to this :age: but be transformed by the renewing of the
mind, that you may prove what is the good and well-pleasing and perfect
will of :God.” *Completely, once for all, we give ourselves to You, Father.
We accept our white funeral of the *self life*. We accept renewal of
mind. *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 12:3 (12:3-13:14) PRACTICAL USE OF GIFTS. “For I say through the grace
:given me, to every man that is among you, not to think more highly
that heought to think; but so to think as to think soberly, as :God
has dealt to
each a measure of faith.” *We thank You Father, for the differing gifts You
give to each of us. Your gifts are all from You of Your grace. We cannot
glory in any gift, natural or spiritual. Therefore we humbly acknowledge
You as the *Giver*, and You *alone*!

*Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 14:16-17 (14:1-15:6) PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS OF LOVE. “Let not then
your :good be evil spoken of: 17 for the kingdom of :God is not eating and
drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” *Like
the birds of the air we receive our food from Your hand, Father! Because
idols are nothing, if it stumble not a brother, we can even eat of this! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 15:13 (15:7-13) PRACTICAL LIVING THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT. “Now the God
of hope fill you with all joy and peace in :believing, that you may abound
in :hope, in power of the Holy Spirit.” *Father, You made Jesus the
minister to the Jew first, to the circumcision. But You have grafted us
into Christ our *hope*, that one day we will all be blessed together in one
body! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 15:14 (15:14-21) PRACTICAL MUTUAL ADMONISHMENT. “And I myself also am
persuaded concerning you, my brethren, that yourselves are full of
goodness, filled with all :knowledge, able also to admonish one another.” *This
is equivalent to *nouthetic counseling*! And how should we admonish one
another, Father? To show to one another that as Gentiles, Paul as minister
to Gentile strove mightily to protect us. May we perceive and walk humbly
in this truth. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors!*

 *6. 15:29 (15:22-33) PRACTICAL PRAYERS FOR OUTREACH. “And I know that,
when I come unto you, I shall come in fullness of Christ’s blessing.” *Father,
we read the heart of Paul on our behalf, as he spoke to the Romans. What a
desire! What faith! What boldness! May we too make known Your grace to both
Jew and Gentile! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 16:3-5a (16:1-23) PRACTICAL GREETINGS. “Salute Prisca and Aquila my
:fellow-workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who for my :life laid down their own
:necks: whom not only I thank, but also all the churches of the nations: 5a and
salute the church :in their :house.” *How down to earth is Your Gospel,
Father! We rejoice in its simplicity and practicality! *But deliver us from
the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 13:8, 10 (12:3-13:14) PRACTICAL OUTWORKING OF LOVE! **“Owe no one
anything, save to love one another: for who loves the other has fulfilled
the law. 10 :Love works no ill to the neighbor: :love therefore is
fulfillment of law.” **This* is the heart of Your Gospel, Father! In Christ
alone can we fulfill it. We glorify You by choosing through Him, to become
Your sons and daughters in Glory!

 This next to the last section of the Book of Romans - is as the title
suggests - “The Practical Outworking of Justification.” It is somewhat
self-explanatory. Two verses however deserve extra emphasis: 14:13
concerning the “God of all Hope” - and 15:14 as it relates to “nouthetic
counseling.” Paul alone is led by the Holy Spirit in using this term -
which has the thought of “*establishing the mind*” through counseling. *This
* is what each believer should do with his fellow-believer. We
*are*according to God - “A Kingdom of Priests”. As such then, God sees
us each
one as having a responsibility to our fellow-believer. Cain wanted to
weasel out of this responsibility concerning his murder of his brother
Abel. God wouldn’t allow him to “cop out” of being his brother’s keeper!
Nor will God let any of us as spiritual priests in His Kingdom - weasel out
of helping to “establish the mind” in the full Word of God” on behalf of
each of our fellow-believers. In Acts 20, Paul witnessed that he had not
shunned to declare the *whole counsel of God* to the Ephesian elders.

 But today, we start over the second time this year in reading through the
book of Psalms. Spurgeon in his “Treasury of David” says that this Psalm
may be regarded as THE PREFACE PSALM, having in it a notification of the
contents of the entire Book. It is the Psalmist’s desire to teach us the
way to blessedness and to warn us of the sure destruction of sinners. This,
then, is the matter of the First Psalm, which may be looked upon, in some
respects, as the text upon which the whole of the Psalms make up a divine
sermon.

 See also his note attached to *Blessed is the man that walks not in the
counsel of the ungodly*. He takes wiser counsel, and walks in the
commandments of the Lord, his God. To him the ways of piety are paths of
peace and pleasantness. His footsteps are ordered *by the Word of God* and
not by the cunning and wicked devices of carnal man. It is a rich sign of
inward grace when the outward walk is changed and when ungodliness is put
far from our actions!

 And lastly under verse 2 - *But his delight is in the law of the
Lord.*“The law of the Lord” is the daily bread of the true believer.
And yet, in
David’s day, how small was the volume of inspiration, for they scarcely had
anything save the first five books of Moses! How much more, then, should we
prize the whole written Word which it is our privilege to have in all our
houses! But, alas, what ill-treatment is given to this angel from heaven!
We are not all Berean searchers of the Scriptures. How few among us can lay
claim to the benediction of the text!

 If the above 3 paragraphs by Spurgeon bless you as they do me - then you
will be glad to know that Spurgeon’s original 7 volume Treasury of David -
has been abridged by David Otis Fuller and published by Zondervan, and is
available in 2 volumes! It is an *excellent* bargain, and I have profited
much by its purchase. I can heartily recommend it to each one of you
reading this. - Jim Watt

 *Our Psalm for the day: 1:3 (1, ESV) THE WAY OF THE RIGHTEOUS AND THE
WICKED. “He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its
fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he
prospers.” *Blessed be David Father, who so clearly perceived the basic
nature of Your Word behind all other blessings! Give us a heart like him, a
man after Your own heart. *Hallowed be your :name! *