Romans 6-8 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 14:54:49 PST 2012

November 11, 2012

 *JUN 28 - ROMANS 6-8 - HOLY SPIRIT: PROMISE OF JUSTIFICATION*

 *1. 6:4-5 (6:1-11, NNT) IDENTIFICATION WITH CHRIST’S DEATH: MEANS OF LIFE! “We
were buried therefore with him through :baptism into :death: that just as
Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, thus we
also might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become like-natured
with him in the likeness of his :death, we shall yet be also in the
likenessof the resurrection.”
*Father, we move in our minds from the federal headship of Adam - to the
Federal Headship of Christ! In Christ we *died*, were buried, and are *now
alive*! Come now Your Kingdom of Righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy
Spirit! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 6:23 (6:12-23) FREEDOM FROM SIN’S BONDAGE: OUR RIGHT! “For the wages
of :sin is death; but the free gift of :God is eternal life in Christ Jesus
our :Lord.” *In Christ You have made us legally free from the power and
bondage of sin, O Father! We *know*, *believe*, *reckon* and *yield* - unto
our emancipation! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 7:18 (7:1-25) NEWNESS OF SPIRIT: BECAUSE OF DEATH TO LAW! “For I know
that in me, that is, in my :flesh, dwells no good: for to will is present
with me, but to work the good, no.” *Father, You have supplied us with an
understanding of the true nature of sin, our flesh, Your method of
righteousness in Christ, and the victorious solution in Christ! *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 8:1-2 (8:1-11) LAW OF SPIRIT: FREES FROM LAW OF SIN. “There is
therefore now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of
the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has freed you from the law of :sin and
of :death.” *What a benefit from the Gospel, Father. You have given us in
Christ Jesus! We now have an *understanding*! By Spirit-law - we overcome
sin-law! The greater overcomes the lesser! Because of Your great Love-gift
- we can do all things through Christ Jesus our Lord! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day!*

 *5. 8:16-17 (8:12-17) JOINT-HEIRSHIP WITH CHRIST: THE SPIRIT’S WITNESS! “The
Spirit himself bears witness with our :spirit, that we are God’s children: 17
and if children, also heirs; heirs namely of God, and joint-heirs with
Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we be also glorified with him.”
*Father, like Paul we would not only reign with Christ, but also
*suffer*with Him. Only in this way can we meet the conditions where
You see to
bring us into testing! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors!*

 *6. 8:28 (8:18-30) POWERFUL HELP: THE SPIRIT’S MINISTRY! “And we know that
to them that love :God :God works all things together for good, to those
who are called according to his purpose.” **Bringing many sons into glory*!
Maturity! Christ-likeness! This is Your goal and purpose for us, O Father!
Therefore You *do* work all things, both good and evil, towards this grand
design! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 8:37 (8:31-39) IMPOSSIBILITY OF SEPARATION: THROUGH GOD’S LOVE. “But
in all these we more than conquer through him that loved us.” *Yes Father,
You cause us to triumph over *every* obstacle. Over principalities and
powers! Over persecution and death! Yes, we see clearly that even Satan
himself must flee before us as we resist him! *But deliver us from the evil
one!*

 *NOTE**: 8:11 (8:1-11) THE HOLY SPIRIT: AGENT FOR OUR BODILY RESURRECTION!
**“But if the Spirit of him that raised :Jesus from the dead dwells in you;
who raised Christ Jesus from the dead shall make alive also your mortal
:bodies through his :Spirit that dwells in you.” *Father, we *choose* to
walk in the fullness of the Spirit of Christ, that all the benefits of His *
Atonement* might flow through us!

 Romans 6-7 is the prelude or foundation for chapter 8 - the Promise of the
Father - the *Gift* (d*o*-reA) of the Holy Spirit! John 13-17 is a complete
Bible section and teaching of Jesus - all on the wonder of the coming and
indwelling of the Holy Spirit! John 14-16 especially majors on this. To see
*God’s* perception on the Holy Spirit - and the *importance* of Jesus’
Atoning work is to lay the foundation for this - and is something I am sure
God wants each of us to understand.

 I for one *did not* understand the importance of this in 1944 right after
God brought me into His Kingdom. A lady in Victoria, BC - formerly of my
denomination in Canada said to me, “Jimmy - now that you are in the Kingdom
- *now* you need the Gift of the Holy Spirit - that which makes the
‘Exchanged Life’ possible”.

 My reply: “Mrs. -------, If you need this - you go ahead and get it. I’ve
got so much of God now that I can’t handle anymore.” This shocked her.

 But when I quickly read the entire Bible through in 6 weeks following my
salvation, and then started studying it - I soon learned that the early
Christians repented, were baptized, and then received the Gift of the Holy
Spirit (Acts 2:38). I discovered that the Samaritan believers in Acts 8
went through a similar process. Normally in the early church, the *Gift* of
the Holy Spirit followed water baptism.

 Three of the sections above *major* on the great benefits that come from
the full indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Revivalist Dr. J. Edwin Orr put it
this way: When you are saved, your glass (life), is filled with the Holy
Spirit. But when you have the Gift of the Spirit, *He* has you! Your life
like a glass full of water - stays in the sink with a stopper - until the
sink is full of water - and *you* are now completely submersed in the
Spirit. Baptism by immersion signifies this death to the self - and then
resurrection into the fullness of Life!

 May none of us fail to realize the fullness of God’s potential for us!

 *Our chapter from Proverbs for the day: 29:18 (29, ESV) MORE PROVERBS OF
SOLOMON. “Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint,
but blessed is he who keeps the law.” *Father, *vision* comes through Your
Word, and for New Testament saints - especially the New Covenant word! Also
as we walk in Your Spirit in the Exchanged Life, we are to *meditate* upon Your
Word like Joshua, and walk with You in prayer and communion. We *must*transform
Your written Word (LOgos) into a Living Word (R*E*ma). *Then* we will not
fail to *Hallow your :name!*