1 Kings 17-21 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:59:39 PDT 2012

October 30, 2012

 *JUN 18 - 1 KINGS 17-21 - ELIJAH: GOD’S PROPHET TO ISRAEL*

 *1. 17:24 (17:1-24, ESV) ELIJAH: MIRACLES DURING FAMINE. “And the woman
said to Elijah, ‘Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of
the LORD in your mouth is truth.’” *Here we find Your true words Father, in
the mouth of Your servant, a man of God. Your true words spoken in Your
Name bring to pass Kingdom manifestations! * Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 18:17-18 (18:1-20) ELIJAH CONFRONTS AHAB. “When Ahab saw Elijah, Ahab
said to him, ‘Is it you, you troubler of Israel?’ 18 And he answered, ‘I
have not troubled Israel, but you have, and your father’s house, because
you have abandoned the commandments of the LORD and followed the Baals.” *Good
for Elijah! We need to be true and faithful confronters of workers of
iniquity on Your behalf, Father! Even kings, rulers, leaders and
presidents! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 18:30b-32a (18:21-46) ELIJAH CONFRONTS PROPHETS OF BAAL. “And he
repaired the altar of the LORD that had been thrown down. 31 Elijah took
twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob,
to whom the word of the LORD came, saying, ‘Israel shall be your name,’ 32a and
with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD.” *Here is Elijah
acting as restorer of Israel’s inheritance! We note Father, his careful
restoration first of Your altar: 12 stones, and then 12 barrels of water.
And *You* answered with fire! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth!*

 *4. 19:18. (19) ELIJAH: PREPARATION FOR REPLACEMENT. “Yet I will leave
seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and
every mouth that has not kissed him.” *Even a man of God can suffer
discouragement and despondency! Thank You Father, that Elijah was a man of
like passions like us. This treasure is in *earthen* vessels. O forgive us
for making more of Your servants that we ought! It is *You* in us that is
our Glory! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 20:28b (20) MAN OF GOD: HELPS AHAB. Thus says the LORD, “Because the
Syrians have said, ”‘The LORD is a god of the hills but he is not a god of
the valleys,’ therefore I will give all this multitude into your hand, and
you shall know that I am the LORD.” *Here You are working for Your own
Name’s sake Father, even through a wicked man. Yes, You *do* make the wrath
of man to praise You! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors.*

 *6. 21:7 (21:1-16) ELIJAH’S WICKED ENEMIES: JEZEBEL AND AHAB. “And Jezebel
his wife said to him, ‘Do you now govern Israel? Arise and eat bread and
let your heart be cheerful; I will give you the vineyard of Naboth the
Jezreelite.” *O what a wicked woman, this Jezebel, who egged her husband on
to greater wickedness! But we bless You Father, that You can deliver us
from *all* that the evil one raises up against us! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 21:27 (21:17-29) ELIJAH: CONFRONTS AHAB OVER NABOTH. “And when Ahab
heard those words, he tore his clothes and put sackcloth on his flesh and
fasted and lay in sackcloth and went about dejectedly.” *This is an amazing
reaction, and leads us to note Father, that the most renegade sinner,
*You*can bring to repentance! There is
*nothing* too difficult for You! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 18:36b-37 (18:21-46) ELIJAH’S EXULTING DECLARATION! “O LORD, God of
Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in
Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things
at your word. 37 Answer me, O LORD, answer me, that this people may know
that you, O LORD, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.” *Not
many words in the prayer, but how effective! Teach us to pray the prayer of
faith Father, as You taught Elijah!

 King Ahab of Israel is an example of the danger of marrying the wrong kind
of wife. Ahab was a wicked man - but his wife caused his wickedness to
multiply. Even though later in life he had a remarkable repentance - yet
his own wickedness could not be undone. The Northern 10 tribes of Israel
went into captivity to Assyria, some 130 years preceding the captivity of
Judah.

 And what of the place God’s prophet Elijah played in all of this? *Much*!
Chiefly in his confrontation of Jezebel’s prophets of Baal and the grove.

 And how did he achieve this outstanding success? *Not* by devising a plan
himself - but by following the word of the LORD in every detail.

 The NT writer James tells us that Elijah was a man of like passions like
us. He was tempted with fear and loneliness, and had to receive rebuke and
correction from God.

 But prior to his flight from Jezebel - he followed the plan of God
exactly! On the top of Mount Carmel he rebuilt the broken-down altar of the
LORD. He took 12 stones representing the 12 tribes of Israel for this. He
put the sacrifice upon wood with no fire. As a matter of fact, before he
prayed, he had 12 barrels of water poured upon the wood and sacrifice, even
filling the ditch surrounding the altar.

 Then in a prayer of less than 70 words - he called upon Jehovah to
vindicate his obedience to the Word of the LORD. And *God* answered by fire
- even consuming the wood, the 12 stones and the water in the ditch! (God
previously did the same for Moses at the dedication of the Tabernacle; and
for Solomon at the dedication of the Temple; and later for Jesus on the day
of Pentecost for His sacrifice of Himself at Calvary.)

 And the result? The people of Israel forsook Baal and his prophets - and
for a while returned to the true worship of Jehovah.

 The final section the Holy Spirit had the writer to record, was the very
evil counsel of Jezebel in having righteous Naboth murdered. But - his land
did *not* go to Ahab as planned. God sent Elijah to confront him. Soon he
died an ignominious death, and dogs lapped up his blood from the chariot.
And soon Jezebel was cast out a window by eunuchs, and dogs ate all but the
palms of her hand and her skull. (Dogs in Bible times were not like the pet
dogs of today.)

 The wheels of God’s justice to us ofttimes appear to grind slow - but in
His time - they grind exceedingly small!

 The lesson from this section leaps out of the page at us.
*Righteousness*exalts a nation - but
*sin* is a reproach to any people!

 *Our chapter of Proverbs for the day: 18:21 (18) THE PROVERBS OF
SOLOMON. “Death
and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its
fruits.” *David understood this, and asked You Father, to set a watch
before his mouth, and to *keep* the door of his lips (Psalm 141:3). We *
hallow* Your Name, when You guard us from taking Your Name in vain! * *