1 Kings 15-22 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 12:02:18 PDT 2012

October 24, 2012

 *JUN 16 - 1 KINGS 15-22 - JUDAH KINGS: ABIJAH TO JEHOSHAPHAT*

 *1. 15:5 (15:1-8) ABIJAM: SPARED BECAUSE OF DAVID. For David’s sake
“Because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and did not turn
aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, except
in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.” *In *Your* estimation Father, David
really failed in but one matter throughout his entire life! This is
remarkable. Truly he *is* the plumbline for all kings to follow, and a type
of the King of kings, *Jesus*! In David we see the manifestation of Your
Kingdom in type! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 15:14 (15:9-15) ASA: JUDAH’S FIRST GOOD KING, BUT FOR HIGH PLACES. “But
the high places were not taken away. Nevertheless, the heart of Asa was
wholly true to the LORD all his days.” *Only two kings beside David removed
the high places (2 COR 10:3-5; ROM 12:1-2), Hezekiah and Josiah. This is
another aspect of David as a plumbline. Father, our desire is that every
thought be brought into captivity of Christ. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 15:23 (15:16-24) ASA: HIS REIGN AND DEATH. “Now the rest of the acts
of Asa, all his might, and all that he did, and the cities that he built,
are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah?
But in his old age he was diseased in his feet.” *We read all this and
ponder. And we marvel at Your grace in all of this, Father! *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 22:4 (22:1-40) JEHOSHAPHAT: ENDANGERED BY A BAD ALLIANCE. And he said
to Jehoshaphat, “Will you go with me to battle at Ramoth-gilead?” and
Jehoshaphat said to the king of Israel, “I am as you are, my people as your
people, my horses as your horses.” *This was a very foolish and sinful
alliance; Jehoshaphat paid dearly for this. Father, forgive us for
alliances that we make with sinful, rebellious and unrepentant people! *Even
* in the light of clear prophetic warning! *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day!*

 *5. 22:42 (22:41-42) JEHOSHAPHAT: SECOND GOOD KING IN JUDAH. “Jehoshaphat
was thirty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned
twenty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Azubah the daughter
of Shilhi.” *Asa and Jehoshaphat: the first two good kings in Judah
following the kingdom disruption, though with neither were the high placed
removed! Father, strengthen us that when tempted we leave *not* the high
places in our mind! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors.*

 *6. 22:43 (22:43-47) JEHOSHAPHAT: THE HIGH PLACES. “And he walked in all
the way of Asa his father. He did not turn aside from it, doing what was
right in the sight of the LORD. Yet the high places were not taken away,
and the people still sacrificed and made offerings on the high places.” *Father
help us *not* to forget Your *adamancy* concerning *high places*! We would
walk perfectly before You like David, Hezekiah and Josiah. *And bring us
not into temptation!*

 *7. 22:48 (22:48-50) JEHOSHAPHAT: HIS NAVY AND DEATH. “Jehoshaphat made
ships of Tarshish to go to Ophir for gold, but they did not go, for the
ships were wrecked at Ezion-geber.” **This* was because of Jehoshaphat’s
alliance with wicked Ahaziah, son of Ahab. Jehoshaphat apparently could not
overcome his predilection to make these unfortunate alliances! But
*we*would have you
*completely* Father, like David.

 *NOTE**: 22:46 (22:43-47) JEHOSHAPHAT AND SODOMITES. **“And from the land
he exterminated the remnant of the male cult prostitutes who remained in
the days of his father Asa.” **This* is *commendable*! Male prostitutes are
called “dogs”, and are an *abomination* in Your sight, O Great Jehovah
Father!

 *The Proper Perspective** - “My Utmost for His Highest” - Oswald Chambers
- 2012-10-24*

“*Thanks be to God*

*who always leads us in triumph in Christ” - 2 Corinthians 2:14*

 The proper perspective of a servant of God must not simply be as near to
the highest as he can get, but it must be *the* highest. Be careful that
you vigorously maintain God’s perspective, and remember that it must be
done every day, little by little. Don’t think on a finite level. No outside
power can touch the proper perspective.

 The proper perspective to maintain is that we are here for only one
purpose - to be captives marching in the procession of Christ’s triumphs.
We are not on display in God’s showcase - we are here to exhibit only one
thing - the “captivity [of our lives] to the obedience of Christ” (2
Corinthians 10:5). How small all the other perspectives are! For example,
the ones that say, “I am standing all alone, battling for Jesus,” or, “I
have to maintain the cause of Christ and hold down this fort for Him.” But
Paul said in essence, “I am in the procession of a conqueror, and it
doesn’t matter what the difficulties are, for I am always led in triumph.”
Is this idea being worked out practically in us? Paul’s secret joy was that
God took him as a blatant rebel against Jesus Christ, and made him a
captive - and that became his purpose. It was Paul’s joy to be a captive of
the Lord, and he had no other interest in heaven or on earth. It is a
shameful thing for a Christian to talk about getting the victory. We should
belong so completely to the Victor that it is always His victory, and “we
are more than conquerors through Him ...” (Romans 8:37).

 “We are to God the fragrance of Christ ...” (2 Corinthians 2:15). We are
encompassed with the sweet aroma of Jesus, and wherever we go we are a
wonderful refreshment to God.

 *Our chapter from Proverbs for the day: 16:6-7 THE PROVERBS OF SOLOMON. “By
steadfast love (CHEsed) and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the
fear of the LORD one turns away from evil. 7 When a man’s ways please the
LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.” **First* Your *
fear*, then Your blessing, O great Jehovah Father Teach us so that we not
only learn this principle, but that it is *part* of us, written on our
hearts, habitual! Then will we naturally and joyfully *Hallow your :name!*