1 Kings 12-14 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:46:33 PDT 2012

October 23, 2012

 *JUN 15 - 1 KINGS 12-14 - REHOBOAM: KINGDOM DIVIDED WITH JEROBOAM*

 *1. 12:15 (12:1-15, ESV) REHOBOAM: HIS FOLLY. “So the king did not listen
to the people, for it was a turn of affairs brought about by the LORD that
he might fulfill his word, which the LORD spoke by Ahijah the Shilonite to
Jeroboam the son of Nebat.” *What foolish counsel from his young men did
Rehoboam settle for! But it was of *You* Father, because of the sins of
Solomon! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 12:20 (12:16-20) JEROBOAM: MADE KING OF THE 10 TRIBES. “And when all
Israel heard that Jeroboam had returned, they sent and called him to the
assembly and made him king over all Israel. There was none that followed
the house of David but the tribe of Judah only.” **This* was the
consequence of Solomon’s sin! We meditate upon Your judgment Father, and
profit from it! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 12:24 (12:21-24) REHOBOAM: OBEYS PROPHECY AND AVOIDS CIVIL WAR. “Thus
says the LORD, You shall not go up or fight against your relatives the
people of Israel. Every man return to his home, for this thing is from me.”
So they listened to the word of the LORD and went home again, according to
the word of the LORD. *This was at least one wise thing Rehoboam did.
Father, You judge us when needed, and may we like Rehoboam heed your word
of judgment. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 12:28 (12:25-33) JEROBOAM: HIS EVIL REIGN. “So the king took counsel
and made two calves of gold. And he said to the people, ‘You have gone up
to Jerusalem long enough. Behold your gods, O Israel, who brought you up
out of the land of Egypt.’” *All Jeroboam did in this was for fear of man
and ‘head and shoulders’ counsel. O forgive us Father, that we too often
fall and resort to human expedience because of fear of man! Just like King
Saul! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 13:2 (13) JEROBOAM AND THE PROPHET. And the man cried against the
altar by the word of the LORD and said, “O altar, altar, thus says the
LORD: ‘Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name,
and he shall sacrifice on you the priests of the high places who make
offering on you, and human bones shall be burned on you.’” *What a
remarkable prophecy: naming Josiah long before his birth! O strengthen us
in temptation's hour Father, that we *doubt not* words which You have
spoken! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 14:13 (14:1-20) JEROBOAM: JUDGMENT AND DEATH. “And all Israel shall
mourn for him and bury him, for he only of Jeroboam shall come to the
grave, because in him there is found something pleasing to the LORD, the
God of Israel, in the house of Jeroboam.” *The way of the transgressor is *
hard*! Not one good king reigned over divided Israel, though this son might
have been an exception. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 14:27 (14:21-31) REHOBOAM: APOSTASY, JUDGMENT AND DEATH. “And King
Rehoboam made in their place shields of bronze, and committed them to the
hands of the officers of the guard, who kept the door of the king’s house.”
*How the glory of the LORD had departed: from gold to brass! This is sin’s
reward. *But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE: 13:18 (13) THE PROPHET’S DISOBEDIENCE. And he said to him, “I also
am a prophet as you are, and an angel spoke to me by the word of the LORD,
saying, ‘Bring him back with you into your house that he may eat bread and
drink water.’” But he lied to him. *

This was a terrible lie on the part of the old prophet, which cost the
young prophet his life. O give us discernment and obedience in these
matters, Father.*  *

 A divided Kingdom! Because of the sin of King Solomon! Yet in the midst of
all of this, God did *not* forget His Covenant with Abraham, Isaac and
Jacob! The *land* is a *perpetual* lease to the united Kingdom of Israel.
It is *not* to be divided with Ishmael (the Palestinians etc.). It’s
borders have been laid out by the LORD as in the days of Solomon.
Ahmadinejad can rant and rave and boast all he wants - and such ravings
remain what they are: *foolish*! Read Psalm 2 to see what God thinks of the
foolish boast of man!

 So what follows in this section concerning the divided Kingdom continues.
British Israel has made foolish conclusions concerning this (They call
DENmark after the tribe of DAN!) The Latter Rain Visitation of 1948 soon
fell into this trap through its leader!

 Levi because of Jeroboam’s 2 calf-tactics - returned to Judah, plus
remnants of each of the 10 tribes. They wanted to retain *God’s* pattern
for the Feasts of the LORD - not Jeroboam’s heathenish tactics! Anna the
prophetess of the tribe of Asher is mentioned in the Gospel of Luke.
*She*wasn’t lost! James in his NT letter addressed the 12 tribes
scattered
abroad (the Diaspora), as not lost in his day.

 It seems that it will take nothing less than the Return of our Lord Jesus
as King of kings and Lord of lords - to straighten out our present day
confusion!

 We with *hope* and joy await that glad day, which is *soon* upon us!

 *Our chapter of Proverbs for the day: 15:33 PROVERBS OF SOLOMON. “The fear
of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.” *Yes,
and You *correct* us, and wash our feet and the dirt out with our fellow
servants and leaders before them, Father! We must submit one to another in
humility before You exalt us. Jesus set this example, and in and for all of
this we *Hallow your :name!*