1 Kings 9-11 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:14:43 PDT 2012

October 22, 2012

 *JUN 14 - 1 KINGS 9-11 - SOLOMON: HIS GLORY AND LAPSES*

 *1. 9:3 (9:1-9, ESV) SOLOMON: GOD CONFIRMS COVENANT WITH DAVID. And the
LORD said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your plea, which you have
made before me. I have consecrated this house that you have built, by
putting my name there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all
time.” *We notice Father, that Your Covenant with Solomon is *conditional*:
conditional upon his obedience of faith! This is proper and just. *Hallowed
be your :name.*

 *2. 9:13 (9:10-28) SOLOMON: ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF FIRST 20 YEARS. Therefore he
*

*(Hiram) said, “What kind of cities are these that you have given me, my
brother?” So they are called the land of Cabul to this day.” *What David
started in the establishment of his kingdom, Solomon consummated by
garrisoning the major cities. *This* solidifies a kingdom! Yet his
treatment of Hiram and Pharaoh's daughter has in it the seeds of trouble! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 10:7 (10:1-10) SOLOMON: QUEEN OF SHEBA COMMENDS HIM. “But I did not
believe the reports until I came and my own eyes had seen it. And behold,
the half was not told me. Your wisdom and prosperity surpass the report
that I heard.” *Seldom is a woman’s curiosity *more* than satisfied. Both
the inner wisdom and the outer glory of this kingdom must have been
staggering! Father, we bless you that You are with us both in times of
abasement and times of abounding! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

 *4. 10:21 (10:11-23) SOLOMON: HIS WEALTH. “All King Solomon’s drinking
vessels were of gold, and all the vessels of the House of the Forest of
Lebanon were of pure gold. None were of sliver; silver was not considered
as anything in the days of Solomon.” *Not even the mafia or the
billionaires of our day could match the splendor and glory of the days of
Solomon. O forgive us Father, that we limit You, the Holy One of Israel,
Who has done *much more* than this in the wisdom of *Jesus*, and in the
glory of the lilies of the field. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 11:4 (10:24-11:8) SOLOMON: FIVE STEPS IN HIS DOWNFALL. “For when
Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods, and his
heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David
his father.” *David is our plumbline, and along side of him, his son
Solomon *woefully* failed! O the dangers of old age! O the danger of great
wealth! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 11:9-10 (11:9-25) SOLOMON: PROPHETIC JUDGMENT AND ADVERSARIES. “And
the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the
LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice 10 and had commanded
him concerning this thing, that he would not go after other gods. But he
did not keep what the LORD commanded.” **This* ought to strike fear in our
hearts Father, and cause us to *tremble* at your word (Isaiah 66:2). *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 11:31 (11:26-43) SOLOMON: PROPHETIC JUDGMENT AND JEROBOAM. And Ahijah
said to Jeroboam, “Take for yourself ten pieces, for thus says the LORD,
the God of Israel, ‘Behold, I am about to tear the kingdom from the hand of
Solomon and will give you ten tribes.’” *This is *righteous* judgment on
Your part, O Great Jehovah Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 11:11 (11:9-25) SOLOMON: HEARS GOD’S JUDGMENT. **Therefore the
LORD said to Solomon, “Since this has been your practice and you have not
kept my covenant and my statutes that I have commanded you, I will surely
tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.” **This* is a
word of serious judgment!

 Solomon started out his reign so well. We need to remember the word: “Take
heed when you stand, lest you fall!” There are few of us that enter into a
place of intimacy with God so deep and so rewarding as David. He from this
became a man after God’s own heart. Even when he sinned, when confronted -
he immediately repented and regained his walk with God.

 David had great riches - but he made them all available to Solomon for the
building of God’s Temple. Riches for him did not become an idol or a snare.
He use them for the glory of God, not for his own self-aggrandizement.

 George Muller observed the life of Jesus during His 33 years upon earth.
Riches were *not* the goal of His life. He walked by faith - especially in
the last 3 years of His life and ministry. So Muller did *not* have as the
goal of His life the amassing of great riches. He died in his 90’s with
very little left in his will for others. John Wesley walked a parallel walk.

 I look upon the Outlined Interlinear, God’s Bible Numeric New Testament as
a means for the blessing of leaders, teachers and people; not for the
amassing of great wealth. What financial gain comes from it, may “Missions”
- especially to Israel” - be its chief goal.

 George Muller mightily helped in “Faith Missions” - especially for the
“China Inland Mission” raised up by Hudson Taylor, a man with parallel
goals.

 So - let *not* Solomon be our example - but men like David and the above.

 The United States and Canada have all too-often been like the tribe of
Dan. So many have made riches their primary goal - and have from this been
led into idolatry, the fruit of covetousness.

 *Our Chapter of Proverbs for the day: 14:26-27 “In the fear of the LORD
one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. 27 The fear
of the LORD is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares
of death.” **Your* fear O Great Jehovah Father, is the *secret* of a life
hid with You in Christ! We desire *this life*, that the great saints have
learned and walked in! Come, Lord Jesus, and take Your place on the Throne
of our lives. Come in *Him*, Father, and we *Hallow your :name!*