1 John 1:1-2:17 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:11:06 PDT 2012

October 10, 2012

 *JUN 5 - 1 JOHN 1:1-2:17 - CONDITIONS OF FELLOWSHIP AND VICTORY*

 *1. 1:3-4 (1:1-4, NNT) FELLOWSHIP: WITH FATHER AND SON. “What we have seen
and heard declare we to you also, that you also may have fellowship with
us: yes, and :OUR :fellowship is with the Father, and with his :Son Jesus
Christ: 4 and these things WE write, that our joy be made full.” *Who can
plumb the depth of *this* saying and revelation? Father, in Jesus we see
You and the Holy Spirit, for the fullness of the Godhead bodily dwells in
Him! *This* manifestation of Your Kingdom You would have in the Church, the
body of Christ. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:5 FELLOWSHIP: WITH GOD OF LIGHT. “And this is the message which we
have heard from him and announce to you, that :God is light, and in him is
no darkness at all.” *Jesus said this concerning You Father, ever so
clearly; and we believe His word and testimony. If we walk with You,
through Christ’s Spirit we must become one with You. *This* is Your will
and purpose, and we pray it will be fulfilled in us as it is in heaven. *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:6-7 (1:6-10) FELLOWSHIP: BY WALKING IN LIGHT. “If we say that we
have fellowship with him and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the
truth; 7 but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have
fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus his :Son cleanses us
from all sin.” *There is perennial cleansing in Jesus as we walk in the
light, and this gives us continual fellowship with You Father, and with
every fellow believer. We believe and accept this with humility. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 2:1-2 (2:1-6) FELLOWSHIP: BASED ON CHRIST AS PROPITIATION. “My little
children, these things I write you that you may not sin. And if one sin, we
have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 and HE is
the propitiation for our :sins; and not for :ours only, but also for the
whole world.” *A consistent holy walk is proof that we have truly availed
ourselves of *Jesus* as our *Propitiation*, and of His continual
intercession on our behalf. O forgive us Father, that we so often fail to
press into full understanding of this, and full obedience of faith to Your
commandments. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:7 (2:7-8) FELLOWSHIP: BASED ON NEW COMMANDMENT OF LOVE. “Beloved, no
new commandment write I to you, but an old commandment which you had from
the beginning: the old :commandment is the word which you heard.” *Life in
the Son in the New Covenant, is now added to all the types and shadows of
the Old Covenant, which prefigured Jesus. The New is in the Old contained:
the Old is by the New explained. Strengthen us in temptation’s hour Father,
that we lose not this seed-word to the enemy. *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 2:9-10 (2:9-11) FELLOWSHIP: IMPOSSIBLE WHEN IN DARKNESS. “Who says he
is in the light and hates his :brother, is in the darkness even until now. 10
Who loves his :brother abides in the light, and no stumbling is in him.” *Let
all deception, delusion and seduction flee away. May we not attempt to
rationalize or explain away this truth and revelation, but *walk in it* by
the power of Christ within. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:14 (2:12-17) FELLOWSHIP: ITS GRADATIONS. “I wrote to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning. I wrote to you, young men,
because you are strong, and the word of :God abides in you, and you have
overcome the evil one. *The maturing believer is an *overcomer*! The
promises of the *overcomer* in Revelation 2-3 are *his*! Father, we believe
Your promises concerning this, and strongly affirm them! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:9-10 (1:6-10) BASIS FOR FELLOWSHIP: A CIRCLE OF COVENANT LOVE! *
*“If we confess our :sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us
our:sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10
If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his :word is not
in us.” *These two verses are *musts* for memorizing!

 This epistle by the apostle John is a high-note of the New Testament.
Again, as John’s Gospel, so his first letter is spiritual - yet practical.
It is one over which we can return again and again.

 *Fellowship* (koi-n*o*NIa) is a major theme.

 *Propitiation* is a key doctrinal point. It is connected to the “Peace
Offering” of Leviticus 1-7, and Jesus fulfilled this on Calvary through His
“Finished Work”.

 It contains within itself many verses that ask to be memorized. These then
can be meditated upon when sleep flees us during the night.

 Notice especially the 3 marks of spiritual young men: they are *strong*!
The word of God *abides* in them (See John 15:1-16 for the secrets of
abiding and fruitfulness). They *overcome* the evil one!

 These spiritual young men are *not* babes or children. Through Romans 6;
John 15:16; Galatians 2:20 - they have graduated into this 3-fold category
listed above by John; they have experienced “Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual
Secret.” They can soon join Rees Howells and Andrew Murray at the “Altar of
Incense” - in Worship and Intercession. They know the first 4 pieces of
furniture in the Tabernacle of Moses. *Fathers* in Christ advance into the
Holy of Holies, and there know Christ as their *Covenant* - and the Father
through *meditation* at the Mercy Seat!

 Amen!

 *Our Chapter from Proverbs today: 5:7 (5, ESV) WARNING AGAINST ADULTERY. “And
now, O sons, listen to me, and do not depart from the words of my mouth.” *Are
there conditions that we must observe to maintain *fellowship* with You,
Father? Yes, indeed! We do not lose our relationship as sons if we sin, but
we certainly lose temporary fellowship with You - until we avail ourselves
of 1 John 1:9. O keep back Your servants from presumptuous sin. *Hallowed
be your :name!*