2 Samuel 24 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:15:58 PDT 2012

October 9, 2012

 *JUN 4 - 2 SAMUEL 24 - DAVID’S LAST SIN*

 *1. 24:1 (24:1-3, ESV) DAVID: COMMANDS NUMBERING OF ISRAEL. “Again the
anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against
them, saying, ‘Go, number Israel and Judah.’” *There is a danger of the sin
of pride in old age after success. None of us are immune from this danger,
not even *David*. Even Joab discerned this evil desire in David. Father,
may we not be tempted to violate Kingdom principles! *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. 24:4 (24:4-9) DAVID’S WORD PREVAILS. “But the king’s word prevailed
against Joab and the commanders of the army. So Joab and the commanders of
the army went out from the presence of the king to number the people of
Israel.” *David overrode the counsel of Joab and all his army captains. How
foolish to move unilaterally and bypass all our counselors. *Your :kingdom
come.*

 *3. 24:10 DAVID’S REPENTANCE. “But David’s heart struck him after he had
numbered the people. And David said to the LORD, ‘I have sinned greatly in
what I have done. But now, O LORD, please take away the iniquity of your
servant, for I have done very foolishly.’” *Thank God for this full and
complete confession. But this was insufficient to avoid the penalty for
foolishness. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 24:11-12 (24:11-13) DAVID: RECEIVES GOD’S WORD THROUGH GAD. And when
David arose in the morning, the word of the LORD came to the prophet God,
David’s seer, saying, 12 “Go and say to David, ‘Thus says the LORD, Three
things I offer you. Choose one of them, that I may do it to you.’” *How
tragic that a leader’s sin of stubbornness brings tragedy upon his
followers! O forgive us for the temporary blindness that comes upon us
during times of pride! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 24:14 (24:14-15) DAVID CHOOSES THE JUDGMENT OF GOD. Then David said to
Gad, “I am in great distress. Let us fall into the hand of the LORD, for
his mercy is great; but let me not fall into the hand of man.” *This was a
wise decision on David’s part, but he was really in a no-win situation. O
strengthen us Father, that we fall not by temptation into the sin of pride!
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 24:16 (24:16-17) DAVID PRAYS FOR MERCY. “And when the angel stretched
out his hand toward Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD relented from the
calamity and said to the angel who was working destruction among the
people, ‘It is enough; now stay your hand.’ And the angel of the LORD was
by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.” *Your mercy Father,
triumphed over justice! David was correct in trusting You. Satan meant the
temptation for evil, but You cut judgment short and delivered David from
the evil one. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 24:24 (24:18-25) DAVID: BUYS TEMPLE SITE AND MAKES ATONEMENT. But the
king said to Araunah, “No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will
not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God that cost me nothing.” So
David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.”
*Romans 8:28 is still in the Bible. The *temple* is the great symbol of
Your Kingdom Father, and out of this sin its site was purchased! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 24:25 (24:18-25) DAVID: SEES GOD LIFT JUDGMENT THROUGH SACRIFICE.
**“And David built there an altar to the LORD and offered burnt offerings
and peace offerings. So the LORD responded to the plea for the land, and
the plague was averted from Israel.” *This was the second time David moved
for the *healing of the land*. We need to understand and practice this
also.

 See the grace of God in using a David in such a way - and yet so human -
like many of us. *This* should give encouragement and hope for the many!
See how God blessed his kingdom! his home! his seed in Jesus, Son of man!
And yet in his own life he was not perfected - even as we!

 But again - whenever David was confronted by God through His prophet -
immediately he *repented*, and sought to make things right. And here even
in what followed his sin of numbering Israel in pride - yet the land he
purchased to make sacrifice, became the place where God led Solomon to
build the Temple!

 David in 7 different ways prepared for the building of the Temple. The
purchase of the Temple site was but one of these seven. In a sense - so
extraordinary was David’s 7-fold preparation for the building of the
Temple, that it could almost be called “the Temple of David!” Even the
blue-print for its full plan - was given to David - written on his heart by
the Spirit of God!

 David relied on the prophets of God to receive both guidance, confirmation
and rebuke. Nathan and Gad were two who *fearlessly* confronted King David
on 2 occasions of his sin. Presidents and governors - not just kings - need
to hear the Word of the Lord by heaven-sent prophetic messengers!

 *Our chapter of Proverbs for the day: 4:7-8 (4) A FATHER’S WISE
INSTRUCTION. “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you
get, get insight. 8 Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will
honor you if you embrace her.” **Wisdom* is like ballast for a ship: it
prevents capsizing. Solomon understood how much his son Rehoboam needed
this. And *You* abundantly supply us, Your sons and daughters Father, with *
Jesus*, our *Personified Wisdom*! (1 Corinthians 1:30). * Hallowed be your
:name!*