The "Go" of Reconciliation

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:55:00 PDT 2012

September 26, 2012

 *2012-09-26 - The “Go” of Reconciliation*

*(From “My Utmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers)*

 “*If you … remember that your brother has something against you ...” -
Matthew 5:23*

 *This verse says, “If you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember
that your brother has something against you ...” It is not saying, “If you
search and find something because of your unbalanced sensitivity,” but, “If
you … remember ...” In other words, if something is brought to your
conscious mind by the Spirit of God - “First be reconciled to your brother,
and then come and offer your gift” (5:24). Never object to the intense
sensitivity of the Spirit of God in you when He is instructing you down to
the smallest detail.*

 “*First be reconciled to your brother ….” Our Lord’s direction is simple -
“First be reconciled ...” He says, in effect, “Go back the way you came -
the way indicated to you by the conviction given to you at the altar; have
an attitude in your mind and soul toward the person who has something
against you that makes reconciliation as natural as breathing.” Jesus does
not mention the other person - He says for you to go. It is not a matter of
your rights. The true mark of the saint is that he can waive his own rights
and obey the Lord Jesus.*

 “*... and then come and offer your gift.” The process of reconciliation is
clearly marked. First we have the heroic spirit of self-sacrifice, then the
sudden restraint by the sensitivity of the Holy Spirit, and then we are
stopped at the point of our conviction. This is followed by obedience to
the Word of God, which builds an attitude or state of mind that places no
blame on the one with whom you have been in the wrong. And finally there is
the glad, simple, unhindered offering of your gift to God.*

 *NOTE**: *So what is *your* “take” on this word by Oswald Chambers,
quoting Jesus?

 It is obvious that it is *completely* contrary to human nature! Human
nature says - In the area of reconciliation, the *other* fellow is in the
wrong - and I am merely pointing that out to him, as well as acknowledging
that my part was not done perfectly.

 But, *No*, that is *not* what Jesus said, nor what Oswald Chamber is
pointing out. We are not to initiate reconciliation on *that* basis - we
are to *forget completely* where our brother might have been in the wrong -
and simply ask forgiveness where the Holy Spirit has shown that *our
part*was not perfect or godly.

 So what is that? Romans 6! Death to self! Death to normal “human nature”
reaction!

 But does it work? Yes - because it is the godly way of reconciliation. It
is the *Jesus* way of handling misunderstandings.

 Is it the way reconciliation is normally attempted? Absolutely not! For
this way is the way of death to normal human reaction.

 Is it by the example that we have given, that we now hope that the brother
will see his flaw and likewise respond? *No*! Not at all. That is
*entirely*between him a
nd God as the Holy Spirit is pleased to reveal it to him. And if he doesn’t
receive this insight - then it is *still* between him and God and the
timing of the Holy Spirit. We are to leave it alone.

 Again - is *this* natural? Not at all. We would like to be God's little
helper - and make the reconciliation mutual.

 But *No*! That is *not* the wisdom of Jesus the Lord.

 So *now* - what is *your* “take” on the above? Mine is - I *will* submit
to the Lord’s wisdom - do it *His* way - and leave all else in His hands -
not mine. Jim Watt