1 Samuel 9-15 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:40:57 PDT 2012

September 25, 2012

 *MAY 25 - 1 SAMUEL 9-15 - SAUL: CHOSEN AND REJECTED*

 *1. 9:16 (9) SAUL: CHOSEN AS KING. “Tomorrow about this time I will send
to you a man from the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him to be
prince over my people Israel. He shall save my people from the hand of the
Philistines. For I have seen my people, because their cry has come to me”
(ESV). *A seer is a powerful man in Your hands, Father. Grant us such ones
today! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 10:1 (10) SAUL: ANOINTED AS KING. “Then Samuel took a flask of oil and
poured it on his head and kissed him and said, ‘Has not the LORD anointed
you to be prince over his people Israel? And you shall reign over the
people of the LORD and you will save them from the hand of their
surrounding enemies. And this shall be the sign to you that the LORD has
anointed you to be prince over his heritage.” *Look at what the true
anointing of faith does to a man! Father, you bring conversion to a man
that is truly startling! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:15 (11) SAUL: AUSPICIOUS BEGINNING. “So all the people went to
Gilgal, and there they made Saul king before the LORD in Gilgal. There they
sacrificed peace offerings before the LORD, and there Saul and all the men
of Israel rejoiced greatly.” *Surely Your hand was upon Saul for good in
the beginning, Father! But the *end* of a matter is better than the
beginning. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 12:23 (12) SAUL REVEALED BY SAMUEL AS A USURPER. “Moreover, as for me,
far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for
you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way.” *It was
*not*Your perfect will to give a king to Israel at this time, Father.
Israel
forced Your hand, and You granted them the desires of their heart, but sent
leanness into their souls. O forgive us that we too, so often settle for
something less than Your perfect will! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 13:14 (13) SAUL: A FOOLISH AND DISOBEDIENT KING. “But now your kingdom
shall not continue. The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart, and
the LORD has commanded him to be prince over his people, because you have
not kept what the LORD commanded you.” *How unworthy Saul proved himself by
this foolish and presumptuous act! Our hearts quake at his presumption. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 14:45 (14) SAUL’S FOOLISH OATH. “Then the people said to Saul, ‘Shall
Jonathan die, who has worked this great salvation in Israel? Far from it!
As the LORD lives, there shall not one hair of his head fall to the ground,
for he has worked with God this day.’ So the people ransomed Jonathan, so
that he did not die.” *How all wisdom and prudence forsook Saul following
his presumptuous sin! Teach us from this, Father. *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 15:22 (15) SAUL: FLAGRANTLY DISOBEYS - AND IS REJECTED. “And Samuel
said, ‘Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as
in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
and to listen that the fat of rams.’” *The fear of man was greater in Saul
than Your fear, O Great Jehovah Father! May we take deep lessons from this.
*But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 15:23 (15) SAUL: REJECTED! **“For rebellion is as the sin of
divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have
rejected the word of the LORD, he has also rejected you from being
king.” *Judgment
is now final. The die is cast. Rebellion and iniquity has brought Saul to
the point of no return.

 This is one of the most sober readings in this survey. And - there are *so
many* lessons for us to make use of. Would a local church be like Israel,
and insist on a carnal desire contrary to the will of God and the teaching
of His Word? My wife Marie and I have pastored such a church! God, as He
did with Samuel - told us to go along with their desire. Great church
growth came as a result of their granted desire. But the bars had been
lowered - and carnality and worldliness crept in at a far greater pace. God
said - “I wanted you to see what results when I am rejected and carnal
desires of the people are granted. Now that you have seen it, I will never
ask you to yield to such desires again.” Thank God!

 Probably the two verses in this passage that stand out for me are
9:15:22-23. It will pay us to meditate and pray over these two verses a
great deal: both for our own individual lives; and for corporate situations
over which God at times may put us.

 Look at Samuel in all of this. It was *not* easy for him. Godly leaders
can be tested in painful ways.

 The Lord be with us in all - as we seek to milk this passage for all the
Lord at the time may let us see!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 145:12-13 GREAT IS THE LORD. “To make known to the
children of man your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendor of your
kingdom. 13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion
endures throughout all generations.” *Our greatest privilege Father, is to
know and understand Your Goodness and Majesty, and to share this knowledge
effectively with our fellow man. *Hallowed be your :name!*

*
**TO SUBSCRIBE - Please Email: mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org*