Romans 5:3-5 - Greek Word Study Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:36:49 PDT 2012

August 8, 2012

 *2012-08-06 - ROMANS 5:3-5 - TRIBULATION BLESSING - UGWS*

 b. 5:3-6 FURTHER BLESSINGS THAT FLOW FROM THE SPIRIT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

*And not only so, but let us also rejoice in :tribulations: *

ou MOnon de, alLA kai kauCH*O*me-tha en tais THLIpse-sin [2347]:

*knowing that :tribulation works patience;*

eiDOtes HOti h*e* THLIpsis hu-po-moN*E*N [5281] ka-terGAze-tai [2716];

4* and patience, approvedness; and approvedness, hope:*

h*e* de hu-po-moN*E*, do-kiM*E*N [1382]; h*e* de do-kiM*E*, elPIda [1680]:

5* and :hope puts not to shame; because the love of :God has been shed
abroad*

h*e* de elPIS ou ka-taisCHUnei [2617]; HOti h*e* aGAp*e* [26] tou TheOU
ekKEchu-tai [1632]

*in our :hearts through the Holy Spirit :given us:*

en tais karDIais h*e*M*O*N diA PNEUma-tos HaGIou tou doTHENtos [1325] h*e*
MIN:

6* Seeing that, we being yet weak,*

ei ge, ChrisTOS, ONt*o*n h*e*M*O*N as-theN*O*N [772],

*in due season Christ died for us ungodly.*

Eti kaTA kaiRON huPER a-seB*O*N [765] aPEtha-nen [599].

 *1. TRIBULATION. THLIpsis [2347] from THLIbo* - 45 (58) references*

*- God in his great wisdom has appointed us to tribulation in this life!
(He also created the waster (Satan) to destroy!) Apart from such testing,
we would not achieve the state of patience that He has appointed for us. We
as human beings continuously try to avoid His appointed tribulation. Paul
says we are appointed to such. The godly will suffer persecution. This
present life is designed to perfect us for heaven. In the 1830’s a British
woman had a vision how the church would escape tribulation. Such is not in
the Word, and does not appear in any church writings up to that time.
George Muller, Charles Haddon Spurgeon and Samuel Tregelles all withstood
this teaching at the beginning, but were not able to withstand it
successfully, because the people liked it. It was like the people of Israel
in Samuel’s day, who wanted a king over them instead of God!*

 *2. PATIENCE. hu-po-moNE [5281] from MEno* - 32 (210) references*

*- To abide under the will of God where He places us, and to bloom where we
are planted - is to have endurance or patience! It is sharing the yoke of
Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30. This is the place of rest! Meno is to “abide”;
HUpo is to do so “under”. It is the indwelling Holy Spirit who enable us to
do so, by living the life of Christ out through us.*

 *3. APPROVEDNESS. do-kiME [1382] from DEcho-mai* - 7 (939) references*

*- To be “disapproved”, is to be apart from Christ’s salvation. Paul speaks
of this in his letters to the churches. The secret for this, is learning to
walk in patient endurance. This is not natural for the human race, but the
Holy Spirit can bring us to this blessed state! Those who are foreordained
to this state will surely find it. We do not know who is soil #4 in its
3-fold state - but as we share the word with every human individual - those
who God has foreknown - will respond!*

 *4. HOPE. elPIS* [1680] - 54 (87) references.*

*The Holy Spirit through Paul talks of the “Blessed Hope”, which is the one
appearing of Jesus Christ to resurrect His saints, and to judge the wicked.
1 & 2 Thessalonians major on this, which can be linked with the Feast of
Tabernacles. Faith is present; hope is future!*

 *5. SHAME. ka-taiSCHUnai [2617] from AIschos* - 13 (46) references*

*- It is possible to have and live a theology that is not true to the
Scriptures. Such prophecies are like those coming from the false prophets
of Jeremiah’s day, who prophesied falsely concerning the 70 year captivity
to Babylon as brought forth by Jeremiah. God severely judged the false
prophets of that day. Will He do less today? To walk in true prophecy is to
avoid shame!*

 *6. LOVE. aGApe [26] from a-gaPAo* - 116 (320) references*

*- And what has God designed for those who accept from Him the above steps?
His very love (aGApe). Our human love (PHIle) - like the love of Peter
before the Day of Pentecost - will always sell us short; - but God’s divine
love will always see us through. See Peter’s Pentecostal sermon in Acts 2,
and the tremendous transformation. Because God is no respecter of persons,
we too can share such victory.*

 *7. SHED ABROAD. ekKEchu-tai [1632] from CHEo* - 10 (47) references*

*- Synonyms - pour out, runs out, shed, spilled.*

*- This is abundant life! God doesn’t give niggardly! He gives abundantly!
Smith Wigglesworth would find his human love insufficient when unexpectedly
meeting one for whom he had been unable to fully forgive. But he quickly
implored God: “Quick, please give me a heavenly love transfusion - shed
abroad!” That always met the need - and it will for you and me too!*

 *NOTE**: In 2002 I purchased “The New American **Roget’s College
Thesaurusin Dictionary Form.” It is vastly superior to the original
“Roget’s
Thesaurus”. This has been especially true for me because of the “Quotations
and Phrases” that reveal the fascinating history of each word and the ideas
it represents.*

 *Here is a key phrase idea that captivated me: “There is one thing
stronger than all the armies of the world, and that is an idea whose time
has come.” Beside this quote 10 years ago - I put: The 1945 Outlined
Interlinear New Testament; the March 18, 1967 natural Greek Word Studies;
and the twelve 1948 Embryonic Revival Principles linked with the 12 tribes
of Israel and the 12 World Cultural Groups. The prodigious discovery and
works of Ivan Panin is the foundation for the first two; and the pioneering
discovery of George Hawtin at North Battleford, Saskatchewan, for the third.
*

 *James Watt with his invention of the steam condenser - loosed the
production of the steam engine for the Industrial Revolution of the 1800’s.
In 2000 AD, he was listed among the top 100 of the 1000 for the last 1000
years - to be given honorable mention.*

 *Many have good ideas. But - it is the idea whose time has come that makes
an impact greater than armies for that generation.*