1 COR 13:4-7 - LOVE - aGApe

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:43:52 PDT 2012

August 9, 2012

 *2012-08-08 - 1 COR 13:4-7 - LOVE, aGApe - OVERVIEW*

 e. 13:4-7 HOW LOVE ACTS

*:Love suffers long, is kind;*

H*e* aGAp*e* ma-kro-thuMEI [3114], chr*e*sTEUe-tai [5541];

*:love envies not, vaunts not itself, is not puffed up,*

h*e* aGAp*e* ou z*e*LOI [2206], ou per-peREUe-tai [5068], ou phu-siOUtai
[5448],

5* is not unseemly, seeks not its :own,*

ouk as-ch*e*-moNEI [807], ou z*e*TEI ta he-auT*E*S,

*is not provoked, takes not account of :evil;*

ou pa-roXUne-tai [3947], ou loGIze-tai [3049] to kaKON;

6* rejoices not in :unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;*

ou CHAIrei [5463] ePI t*e* a-diKIa [93], sunCHAIrei de t*e* a-l*e*THEIa
[225];

7* **covers all **things**, **believes all **things**, **hopes all **things*
*,** **endures all **things**.*

PANta STEgei [4722], PANta pisTEUei [4100], PANta elPIzei [1679], PANta
hu-poMEnei [5278]

 *1. ENVIES NOT. ma-kro-thuMEo from MEkos + THUo* - 10 (264) references*

*- God’s Love Envies not! When His love has right-of-way in us, envy begins
to be burnt out from our lives. We are not perfected in this life, but we
are on the way to our resurrected state upon the Return of our Lord Jesus.*

 *2. KIND. chresTEUo-mai from CHRAo* - 1 (138) references*

*- See the Kindness of our God and our Lord Jesus Christ. If we want to
understand the Father, we need to fully understand and experience His Son.
Jesus said that to know Him - is to know His Father - for He and His Father
are one! See John 17 for a fuller understanding of this.*

 *3. ENVIES NOT. zeLOo from ZEo* - 12 (71) references*

*- This attribute of God and His Love is Wondrous indeed! So opposite to
the spirit of the world! So wonderful to watch its development in
fellow-believers as we allow and aid Jesus Christ to be fully formed in us!*

 *4. VAUNTS NOT ITSELF. per-peREUo-mai* - 1 reference only!*

*- This is the only time this Greek word appears in the New Testament. Do
we ever see this spirit manifested in Jesus? Never! Is it the norm in our
unregenerate state? Yes! Does it still slip out at times in believers? Yes
- for we are not perfected until the Return of our Lord Jesus and our
Resurrection. Beware of those who teach sinless perfection prior to that
event.*

 *5. IS NOT PUFFED UP. phu-siOo from PHUo* - 7 (88) references*

*- Have you seen a toad puffed up? And we also have seen fellow human
beings puffed up. But - the love of God is never puffed up! What a
deliverance on our behalf - when we allow the Love of God to possess us!*

 *6. NOT UNSEEMLY. as-che-moNE - from Echo* - 2 (1081) references*

*- synonym: uncomely.*

*- In the world we so often see unseemliness and uncomeliness. We can
remember it in ourselves in our unregenerate state; and when we slip - by
failing to walk in the Spirit once saved.*

 *7. SEEKS NOT ITS OWN. zeTEo* - 119 (167) references*

*- But this is a main attribute of the unsaved. It is a distinct mark. And
once saved, our former friends note the great change taking place in us -
as the love of God begins to replace our former natural affections.*

 *8. IS NOT PROVOKED. pa-roXUno from oXUS* - 2 (19) references*

*- stirred - brought into sharp contention (Acts 15:39)*

*- How touchy most of us are in our unsaved state. We must be handled with
kid gloves! But see how amazed Pilate was at Jesus when falsely accused.
Like a sheep before his shearers is dumb, so He opened not His mouth … That
too is our goal, and that is the goal of Jesus for each one of us! He and
His Father are committed to this on our behalf.*

 *9. TAKES NOT ACCOUNT OF EVIL. loGIze-tai from eREo* - 41 (4076) references
*

*-thought, reasoned, reckoned, imputed, think on, counted, supposed,
concluded, esteemed, charged*

*- How so much of the world loves to hear gossip, and to spread it. John
Wesley calls this “evil speaking”, and emphasizes Matthew 18:15-17 as God’s
appointed way for its cure! Political election times seem to bring
this outin its worst and lowest form.
*

 *10. REJOICES NOT IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. CHAIro* - 72 (401) references*

*- be glad, hail, greet, rejoice, joy*

*- God’s love in us is silent at the news of this. It is saddened when it
hears of the fall of professing - and sometimes like David - possessing
believers.*

 *11. REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH. sunCHAIro from CHAIro* - 1 (401) references*

*- Jesus is the Truth in that - like a mystery - that has been hidden, but
now the lid is off - and we know who Jesus really is - and what all other
truth - really is. Blessed are all those who sense this place where they
consistently rejoice with the truth.*

 *12. COVERS ALL THINGS. STEgo* - 4 (9) references*

*- Do you know those who seek to protect the fallen from hurtful gossip? True
love does this. Dad Crittenton, from a church we pastored in Chicago, was
of this spirit. No one ever heard him speak a evil word against a fellow
believer - or even of non-believers. Even of the devil he said, “Well, we
could emulate his zeal!”*

 *13. BELIEVES ALL THINGS. pisTEUo from PEItho* - 247 (711) references*

*- The believer filled with God’s love wills to believe! Billy Graham early
in his ministry reached the point where he covenanted with God - “Lord,
even if I don’t understand all I read in the Bible - yet I take it by
faith, and boldly proclaim - ‘The Bible says!’”*

 *14. HOPES ALL THINGS. elPIzo from elPIS* - 31 (87) references*

*- Faith is for the present; hope is for the future. What God promises us
for the Return of Christ and all that that contains - the love of
Godenables us to apprehend as future
hope! Yes, God will keep us to the end! Yes - the love of God
possessing us enables
us in the Blessed Hope!*

 *15. ENDURES ALL THINGS. hu-poMEno from MEno* - 17 (210) references*

*- endures, takes patiently, tarries behind*

*- Have you noticed how the Holy Spirit through Paul has been leading us in
a gradation - an ascending climb to a most successful conclusion? Endurance
means that we can stride under the earthly role God has placed us in, and
come through triumphant? You and I not only can makie it - but by God’s
grace and love - we will make it!*

 *16. LOVE NEVER FAILS. PIPto* - 90 (186) references*

*- falls, fails*

*- The above 15 points are all in one sentence. This 16th point is the
beginning of the succeeding sentence. LOVE never fails. Believe it. Embrace
it. Rest in it. It is absolutely true. No believer will be let down by
holding on to this final word!*

 *NOTE**: How do we get the best definition of a word? Often by studying
how it **acts! The above passage has 16 different ways how love (aGApe)
acts. *

 *Is this the way the love of God acts on our behalf? Most certainly Yes!
Is this true of John 3:16? Yes! Is this the way Jesus comported Himself on
our behalf in His 33 years on earth? Again, Yes!*

 *Take all the instances where this type of love appears in its various
occurrences in Scripture - 320 times, and all will appear consistent! Do we
as members of the Adamic race naturally have such love? Not at all.
Yet thisis what God calls us as believers to manifest. How is such a
thing
possible? Only when we come to the Cross of Christ, understand the
Redemptive power of His blood - and choose to believe on Him as God’s
onlyway for Reconciliation between ourselves and God!
*

 *John 14:6 is not a popular word for the world. The world hates this
message. It killed Jesus because of this message. Yet His death is the only
hope for lost mankind.*

 *Satan’s greatest mistake occurred when he initiated Judas and the Jewish
leaders to crucify Jesus! This laid the basis for his doom, which at the
same time opened the door for the Redemption of all mankind. However - a
pardon is no pardon unless accepted. So it is - who hear, believe and
accept - who are translated from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom
of God’s dear Son. Here we become members of God’s “One New Man”! Here we
experience plenteous Redemption!*

 *So of all the 1619 Root Greek words of the New Testament - this one -
LOVE - a-gaPAo* - 142 times in verbal form, aGApe, 116 times in noun form;
and a-ga-peTOS - 62 times in adjectival form - is the defining word of God,
and of Christianity. For when we allow Christ by His Spirit to indwell us
in the light of Galatians 2:20 - THEN we see the uniqueness of this word -
LOVE - and - God IS love! He is also HOLY, in perfect balance!*

 *In Seminary in Chicago in the early 50’s, I had 2 professors who warred
with one another through their students - as to what was the chief essence
or attribute of God: love or holiness. Actually, it is not either/or - but
- both/and! *

 *It behooves us to come to a conclusion concerning our God like this.
Jesus in the Book of Revelation is both Love - and - Holiness! The God of
the Old Testament is just as much the God of the New Testament. In His
Tri-unity - God is both - for the whole of the Bible. However - it is only
under the New Covenant that God’s ultimate Old Testament purpose finds
fulfillment. We need to consider Hebrews 8:6 - and understand that the
Father has constituted the New Covenant as Torah, and that our chief
meditation as believers should rest in the Finished Work of Christ, and the
interpretation of the 27 Old Testament mysteries, that were only given
understanding through Christ and His apostle Paul in the New Testament! (See
Dr. David Stern at this point in his Jewish New Testament - and his
“Commentary on the Jewish New Testament”.) *