Romans 12:6-8 - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 09:35:14 PDT 2012

August 4, 2012

 *2012-08-03 - Romans 12:6-8 - GIFTS FOR ALL BELIEVERS*

 c. 12:6-8 MINISTER ACCORDING TO PROPORTION OF FAITH

*And having gifts differing according to the grace :given us,*

Echon-tes de chaRISma-ta [5486] kaTA t*e*n CHArin t*e*n doTHEIsan h*e*MIN
diApho-ra [1313],

*whether prophecy, prophesy according to the proportion of :faith;*

EIte pro-ph*e*TEIan [4394], kaTA t*e*n a-na-loGIan [356] t*e*s PIste-*o*s;

7* or ministry, attend to the ministry; who teaches, to the teaching;*

EIte di-a-koNIan, en t*e* di-a-koNIa [1248]; EIte ho diDASk*o*n [1321], en t
*e* di-da-skaLIa;

*8 or who exhorts, to the exhorting: who gives, be it with liberality;*

EIte ho pa-ra-kaL*O*N [3870], en t*e* pa-raKL*E*sei: ho me-ta-diDOUS, en
haPLOt*e*-ti;

*who rules, with diligence; who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.*

ho pro-i-STAme-nos [4291], en spouD*E* [4710]; ho e-le*O*N [1653], en
hi-laROt*e*-ti [2432].

 *1. PROPHECY. pro-pheTEIa from eREo* - 19 (4076) references*

*- proPHEtes - a prophet - 149 NT references.*

*- pro-pheTEIa - a prophecy - 19 references.*

*- pro-pheTEUo - to prophesy - 28 references.*

*- pro-phe-tiKOS - prophetic - 2 references.*

*- proPHEtis - prophetess - 2 references.*

*- The above 5 parts of speech come from John Stegenga’s “Greek-English
Analytical Concordance of the Greek-English NT.” My copy is dated 1963, and
I purchased it in 1967. It gives a scientific break-down of all root words,
with the various prepositional prefixes. 1619 root words are listed.*

*- Note that those who prophesy, will vary according to their proportion of
faith!*

 *2. MINISTRY. di-a-koNIa from KOnis - 34 (109) references*

*- diAko-nos - Servants, ministers, deacons - 31 references.*

*- di-a-koNEo - to serve or minister - 37 references.*

*- di-a-koNIa - service, ministration, ministry, office - 34 references.*

*- This is a worthy gift to follow up on that of Prophecy!*

 *3. TEACHING. di-da-skaLIa from diDAsko* - 21 (220) references*

*- Doctrine, teaching, learning. One verse of “Onward Christian Soldiers”
reads: “We are not divided - All one body we - One in Faith and Doctrine -
one in Charity.”*

*- The faith and doctrine or teaching - when in unity in a City Church,
give us a basis for real revival. And we note that “charity” or love (aGApe)
gives us our 3-fold context!*

*- Paul exhorts church members to doubly honor elders in a church with a
“teaching” ministry.*

 *4. EXHORTING. pa-raKLEsei from kaLEo* - 29 (520) references*

*- This is translated in the following manner in other parallel references:
comfort, consolation, exhortation.*

*- In John 14:26, 15:26; 16:7 it refers to the Holy Spirit - as the
Comforter! But here it appears under the part of speech as “paRAkle-tos” -
yet appearing under the same family of words or cognates.*

*- So - he or she who has the gift of exhortation - is moving under the
same spirit as the Holy Spirit.*

*What a high calling! Jesus was very careful to point out in John 14-16 the
High Calling of the Holy Spirit.*

 *5. GIVING. me-ta-diDOnai from DIdo-mi* - 5 (694) references.*

*- It is rendered to give or impart in other NT references.*

*- Notice how the Holy Spirit through Paul suggests that we follow through
with this “gift of giving” - it is to be “with liberality”!*

*- LIBERALITY. haPLOte-ta from PLOos - 8 (17) references.*

*- It has other NT meanings - as bountifulness, simplicity, liberally.*

*- To read 2 Corinthians 8-9 is to see a City Church example of such
hilarious giving.*

*- In the 60’s and 70’s, the “Medical Sisters” sang -*

*God loves a cheerful giver - Give all you’ve got -*

*He loves to hear you laughing - When you’re in an awkward spot!*

*When the odds add up against you - It’s time to shout and sing!*

*Praise God - To praise Him is a joyful thing!*

 *6. RULING. pro-i-STAme-nos from HIste-mi* - 8 (647) references*

*- One that rules; one who is over; one who maintains.*

*- And how is one with this gift to rule? It has parallel meanings of
carefulness; care; earnest care; business.*

*- In 1 Timothy and Titus, the Holy Spirit through Paul shows that a father
who rules his family with diligence, has fulfilled one very strong
condition to be chosen as a local church elder!*

 *7. SHOWS MERCY. e-leEo from Ele-os* - 31 (78) references*

*- One who shows mercy; has pity on; has compassion on.*

*- And how should such a one manifest this gift?*

*- With CHEERFULNESS. hi-laROtes from hi-laROS* 1 (2) references.*

*- It is possible to show mercy in a begrudging spirit. This is the
wrongway to manifest this 7
th gift!*

 *NOTE**: Books have been written on these 7 gifts, and seminars have been
held reaching 1000’s on this subject. This is **not a series to be
neglected.*

 *One key gift of these seven will be given by the Spirit to each believer.
Under it some of the 9 gifts of the Spirit from 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 will
serve as an undergirding. Each believer should receive help from his
family, cell group or local church to ascertain which of the 7 - is
hisleading gift. He has all 7, but the key gift will color the other
6.
*

 *These 7 gifts go along with the 12 temperaments. These in turn are linked
with the 12 tribes of Israel. It is helpful for us to ascertain which of
these we have been linked with. It most decidedly helped me when I finally
made this discovery.*

 *The Temperaments are made up from the 4 Gospels. Jesus perfectly and in
balance manifested all 4. None of us are like that, but we do have all 4 in
a percentage. The top two let us know which tribe of Israel we are linked
with. A Judah (Matthew/John) is the lion; a Dan (John/Matthew - an eagle);
Reuben (Luke/Mark - a man); an Ephraim (Mark/John, an ox) - these are the 4
leading temperaments, and were over the 4 leaders of the other 8 tribes of
Israel. See Numbers chapter 2.*

 *Put these together with the 7 Romans 12:6-8 Gifts, and one can see how
the Holy Spirit can use such a member in Christ’s body. Jim Watt*