Galatians 5:22-23 - Fruit of Spirit Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:30:15 PDT 2012

July 27, 2012

 *2212-07-26 - GAL 5:22-23 - Fruit of the Spirit Overview - UGWS*

 *As the visible expressions of hidden lusts are the works of the flesh, so
the invisible power of the Holy Spirit in those who are brought into living
union with Christ (John 15:2-8, 16) produces “the fruit of the Spirit”, the
singular form suggesting the unity of the character of the Lord as produced
in them, all in contrast with the confused and often mutually antagonistic
“works of the flesh”. Some notes from John Stegenga, and Vine’s “Expository
Dictionary”.*

 *1. LOVE - aGApe from a-gaPAo* - 116 (320) references*

*- Identifies the believer with God in character.*

*- We are to love in this world as Christ loved.*

*- Love is the cure to pride, 1 Corinthians 13:4; 8:1.*

*- See John 21 for a contrast between “aGApe”, the Love of God - and
PHIle- human love.
*

 *2. JOY - chaRA from CHAIro* - 59 (401) references*

*- Joy is associated with life 1 Thessalonians 3:8-9.*

*- Sorrow - enlarges capacity for joy, John 16:20.*

*- Persecution for Christ’s sake enhances joy, Matthew 5:11-12.*

*- God Himself is the ground and object of the believer’s joy, Romans 5:11.*

*- Nehemiah told Israel that the joy of the Lord is their strength, 8:10.*

 *3. PEACE - eiREne from eREo* - 92 (4076) references*

*- The word for harmonious relationships.*

*- Rest and contentment from peaceful conditions, Matthew 10:13.*

*- Like the Hebrew “shalom” - means wholeness or salvation.*

*- The peace of Jesus is entirely different from that of the world!*

 *4. LONGSUFFERING - ma-kro-thuMIa from THUo* - 14 (264) references*

*- Does not hastily retaliate in the face of provocation.*

*- Opposite of anger, and associated with God’s mercy.*

*- Does not surrender to circumstances or succumb under trial.*

*- Opposite of despondency, and associated with hope, 1 Thessalonians 1:3.*

 *5. KINDNESS - chresTOtes from CHRAo* - 10 (138) references*

*- Love is kind, 1 Corinthians 13:4 - and God is love!*

*- Goodness of heart.*

*- One of the synonyms for Christian, pronounced as “anointed”.*

 *6. GOODNESS - a-ga-thoSUne from a-gaTHOS* - 4 (122) references*

*- A moral quality of regenerate persons, Romans 15:14.*

*- Desire after goodness - to be and do good.*

*- When God is in us, we partake of His goodness.*

*- Readiness to do good to all as we have opportunity. Barnabas was a
“good” man.*

 *7. FAITHFULNESS - PIStis from PEItho* - 244 (711) references*

*- Comes from a personal surrender to God, John 1:12.*

*- Conduct inspired by such surrender, 2 Corinthians 5:7.*

*- Dependability: this is the nature of God!*

*- Fidelity in engagements, promises and trusts.*

*- Solomon in Proverbs asks - “A faithful man - who can find?”*

 *8. GENTLENESS - praOtes from PRAus* - 9 (16) references*

*- Inwrought grace of soul towards God.*

*- Acceptance of God’s dealings, not disputing or resisting.*

*- Faces evil men with inward strength.*

*- Gentleness of Meekness is the fruit of Power.*

 *9. SELF-CONTROL - egKRAtei-a from KRAtos* - 4 (102) references*

*- Temperance is limited to one form of self-control; the latter is better.*

*- Exercised by the will under control of God’s Spirit, Galatians 2:20.*

*- A working of strength into us - enabling us to overcome.*

 *NOTE**: **There is a relationship between the Gifts and the Fruit of the
Spirit. They both have nine in number. I sometimes link them with the
bottom 9 human vertebrae. Some of them fuse, as the child grows older. The
nerves that spread out from the spinal cord at this place control human
walking ability, reproduction and elimination. It produces a serious
problem should nerve signals be disrupted in this area of the human body.*

 *As noted in connection with the fruit of the Spirit, the gifts of the
Spirit can be immediately manifested in a new believer according to the
“Peter-package” of Acts 2:38: repentance; baptism; reception of the
gift (do-reA)
of the Holy Spirit.*

 *But it is a lifetime development to see the character of Jesus worked
into us through the fruit of the Spirit. And - it is one 9-fold fruit, with
9 segments like an orange. God would have us manifest His Son in us in a
balanced 9-fold manner.*

 *I like to link the fruit of the Spirit with the tribe of Issachar, the
wise, patient, faithful “donkey” tribe. In the Near East, kings rode on
donkeys.*

 *Also, I like to link the fruit of the Spirit with the “First Nations
People” in a cultural sense. In them I see the potential of faithfulness,
sensitivity and obedience. See “Dances with Wolves” as an illustration of
this. If you visit our Website <www.2rbetter.org> and click on “Embryonics”
- you will find all 12 tribes listed, with the 12 Embryonic Revival
Principles that came together in 1948 in Northern Canada, as well as the 12
world cultural divisions. I do not say a “Thus says the Lord” for these
linkages - but I believe they are suggestive, and perhaps some of you would
want to try your hand at developing your own links.*

 *I like to use the analogy of the tribe of Benjamin in the last few
chapters of the book of Judges. Because of sin this tribe was nearly wiped
out by the other 11 tribes. But instead of rejoicing that there were but
600 young men left - they mourned and strategized, and worked out a plan to
obtain wives for these 600 to start the tribe up again. Otherwise we would
not have had the Apostle Paul - a Benjamite - and 14 of the 27 books of the
New Testament!*

 *Just so - we need the First Nations People receiving and giving their
unique contribution to the other major cultural divisions of our earth.
Presently, but 3% of the First Nations People have made believer status.
That is starting to change - but our prayers, understanding and concern
could speed up the process. *

 *So - Fruit of the Spirit? All of earth’s segments desperately need to
avail themselves of this plan of God on our behalf. Availing ourselves of
George Muller’s “Soul Nourishment First” will greatly expedite this
possibility. And upon the soon publication of Ivan Panin’s Bible Numeric
“Outlined Interlinear New Testament” - all we as believers will find it
much simpler and effective for daily meditation upon God’s Word. And when
we do so,, because Jesus and this Word (LOgos) are one - then it becomes
transformed in us into the living ‘REma word! Then indeed we are on the way!
*

 *P.S. Contact <www.BTJohnsonPublishing.com> for a progress report or order on
the Interlinear.*