1 Corinthians 12:8-11 - Gifts of the Spirit

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 11:35:48 PDT 2012

July 26, 2012

 *2012-07-25 - 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 - Overview of Gifts of the Spirit -
UGWS - Survey II*

 *1. Word of WISDOM - soPHIa, from soPHOS* - 51 (79) refs.*

*- linked with SUne-sis (the critical faculty of understanding,
intelligence) and*

*- PHROne-sis (the right use of the mind, PHREN) are particular
applications of soPHIa.*

*- through Wisdom, God grants miracle insight to apply knowledge, MAT
21:23-32; 22:15-22.*

*- the Word of Wisdom is LOgos from eREo - 329 (4075) references.*

*- and Jesus is the LOgos according to John 1:1. The Father from His mind
reveals His thoughts; the Son as the Word declares this; the Spirit as the
executive, causes it to come to pass. See Genesis 1.*

 *2. Word of KNOWLEDGE - GNOsis, from giNOsko* - 29 (448) references*

*- In the New Testament, it refers especially to the knowledge of
spiritualtruth.
*

*- It also refers to the subjective knowledge of God: which can only be
known by a miracle of revelation.*

*- By the reference to a Word of knowledge, it indicates that but a
fragmentof knowledge is released -
Romans 8:14.*

*- Here are two examples of the Word of Knowledge: MAT 17:24-27; Acts
5:1-11.*

 *3. FAITH - PIstis, from PEItho* - 244 (711) references*

*- A firm persuasion that God’s revelation will come to pass.*

*- A conviction based on hearing the word of the Spirit (REma), ROM 8:14;
10:17.*

*- The gift lying behind miracles; casting out of demons, Mark 11:20-25.*

*- Distinguish between faith as a gift; a virtue, 2 PET 1:5; a fruit, GAL
5:22; a unity, EPH 4:5; the armor of God, EPH 6:16; a foundation, HEB 6:1.*

 *4. Gifts of HEALINGS - IAma, from IAo-mai* - 3 (41) references*

*- A special Gift - CHAris-ma from CHAIro* - 17 (401) references.*

*- Used of physical treatment 25 times; used in Luke 15 times.*

*- Used figuratively of spiritual healing also; In James 5:16, perhaps for
both.*

*- The gift is distinguished from James 5:16 with elders - and in Mark
16:15-20 for all believers.*

 *5. Workings of POWERS - DUna-mis, from DUna-mai* - 120 (392) references*

*- The inherent ability to perform anything.*

*- Distinguish this from e-xouSIa, the right to exercise power, John 1:12.*

*- “Signs following” comprise an integral part of the Gospel, Mark 16:15-20.
*

 *6. PROPHECY - pro-pheTEIa, from eREo* - 19 (4076) references*

*- Speaks forth the mind and counsel of God.*

*- Distinguish between the gift of prophecy and the office of prophet,
Ephesians 4:11.*

*- Builds up - stirs up - cheers up, 1 Corinthians 14:3.*

*- Gives life to dead bones, Christians and churches, + the nation Israel
at Christ’s return, Ezekiel 37:1-14.*

*- Declares a word of knowledge or revelation with anointing.*

 *7. DISCERNINGS of spirits - diAkri-sis, from KRIno* - 3 (581) references*

*- This is judging on evidence whether spirits are evil or of God.*

*- Discerning what is of the Holy Spirit in regard to prophecy, 1
Corinthians 14:29.*

*- Human spirits, flesh, natural man - have no sense.*

*- Evil spirits, angels of light - have no conscience.*

*- This gift comes between prophecy and tongues - an area open to Satan’s
deception!*

 *8. Kinds of TONGUES - GLOSsa* - 50 (53) references*

*- Supernatural speaking in another language without its being learned -
Acts 2.*

*- Consists in recounting “the mighty works of God,” Acts 2:11, 1
Corinthians 14:2.*

*- An exercise in the gathering of local churches, 1 Corinthians 12:10, 28;
14:5, 13, 15, 26, 27, 29.*

*- Equal to prophecy when interpreted - 2 Corinthians 14:5.*

*- A method of self-edification - 1 Corinthians 14:4; Jude 20; Isaiah 28:11.
*

 *9. INTERPRETATION of Tongues - her-meNEIa, from HerMES* - 2 (23)