Holy Spirit

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:43:49 PDT 2012

January 25, 2012

 “*SPIRIT” - PNEUma - 385x - Strong #4151 *

*(from PNEo* 7x - Strong #4154 + 7 cognates or derivatives = 402x)*

 *UNDERSTANDING THE HOLY SPIRIT FROM SELECTIVE REFERENCES*

 *1. Luke 11:13 (14-26) HOLY SPIRIT: MUST BE ASKED FOR. “If you therefore,
being evil, know how to give gifts to your :children, how much more shall
the Father who is from heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him”
(NNT)? *This was a key verse that Oswald Chambers used in soul-winning. As
soon as he established to the mind of the seeker that he was a sinner - not
just because he had sinned - but that through Adam he had inherited a “sin
nature” - *then* he led them to pray for the Holy Spirit as He is set forth
in the “Peter Package” - Acts 2:38.

 *2. John 4:24 (1-26) HOLY SPIRIT: KEY TO TRUE WORSHIP! “:God is Spirit:
and who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.” * In the
preceding immediate context, we learn that God seeks those in *spirit* and
in truth to worship him. We cannot worship God from our human *spirit*,
until *first* we have received the *Holy Spirit* of Christ. And as we go on
like Rees Howells to let Him *possess* us, *then* our worship reaches into
a dimension truly pleasing to God. The Holy Spirit here is likened to an
“artesian well”!

 *3. Acts 5:32 (17-42) HOLY SPIRIT: GIVEN ON BASIS OF OBEDIENCE. “And WE
are witnesses of these :sayings; also the Holy :Spirit, whom :God has given
to them that obey him.” *This is a key to successful marriage. For those
who have this as the basis of receiving the Holy Spirit, have
*already*entered into “The Marriage Covenant”, by Derek Prince. This
book, along
with “Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting”, I count as two of his
outstanding books. My wife Marie and I married on this basis, and God has
kept us for 61 years this month. *This* is the glue that holds a marriage
together. Marriage is a Covenant in the sight of God, and *not* to be
broken, apart from fornication. We have as many divorces inside the church
today as the world does outside. This *ought not to be so*! And it is the
Holy Spirit moving in The Marriage Covenant that ensures that it can change!

 *4. Acts 13:2 (1-3) HOLY SPIRIT: CHIEF AGENT IN MISSIONS. “And as they
ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy :Spirit said, Separate me then
:Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” *Consider the
work of “The Presbytery”. Ordination through “laying on of hands and
Prophecy”, as important as this function is, is but one of *many* functions
that the Holy Spirit is pleased to perform through “The Presbytery”.
Commissioning missionaries and sending them forth is another.

 *5. Acts 15:28 (22-29) HOLY SPIRIT: JOINS WITH ELDERSHIP FOR CHURCH
SOLUTIONS. “For it seemed good to the Holy :Spirit, and to us, to lay upon
you no greater burden than these :necessary things.” **This* is one of the
most important functions of the *Holy Spirit* in linking up with the
Presbytery or Eldership - to *solve* church problems. The Judaizing
controversy in the early church was one of the *chief* of these problems.
And the *Holy Spirit* takes precedence over the Presbytery in solving this
problem. Gentiles do *not* have to become Jews and be circumcised for full
salvation, but just keep the 4 conditions noted here, to have
table-fellowship with Jews. What a serious problem, which still continues
to this day, in spite of the *Holy Spirit's* letter through Paul to the
Galatians.

 *6. 1 Peter 1:12 (3-12) HOLY SPIRIT: CHIEF AGENT IN OT PREACHERS. “To whom
it was revealed, that not to themselves, but to you, did they minister thevery
things which now have been announced to you through them that preached
thegospel to you by
the Holy Spirit sent forth from heaven; which things angels desire to look
into.” *In 1952 in Chicago I wrote my M. Div. (Master of Divinity)
dissertation on this verse. I stated: “In Homiletics here at Northern
Baptist Theological Seminary we are taught how to preach with notes, by
outline, by manuscript, extemporaneously, but not with the *Holy
Spirit*sent forth from heaven.” It was on this 5
th point that I wrote my thesis, and for a while, wondered if it would be
accepted so I could graduate! It was, and is in the Archive files yet at my
Alma Mater. If OT prophets all preached this way, how much more need we as
NT preachers - preach with the *Holy Spirit* sent forth from heaven!

 *7. 2 Peter 1:21 (12-21) HOLY SPIRIT: BEHIND ALL BIBLE PROPHECY. “For no
prophecy was ever borne by man's will: but men spoke from God, being borne
on by the Holy Spirit.” *It is important to see that the *Holy Spirit* -
not man - is behind all Scripture. We are aware of the 33 known Bible
writers of the 66 books, but we often fail to see that shining far above
all of them - is the *Holy Spirit!* Our Bible is *not* primarily the work
of man - but *the Word of God*! How disconcerting once this dawns on us.
One prominent preacher-evangelist of yester-year - an Episcopalian -
started out as a Modernist. But when he received the *Holy Spirit* and
Jesus as *Lord* - the *Holy Spirit* changed his entire theology, and
conformed it to a Bible-based state!

 *8. Romans 5:5 (1-11) HOLY SPIRIT: THE ONE WHO SHEDS GOD'S LOVE IN OUR
HEARTS. “And hope puts not to shame; because the love of :God has been shed
abroad in our :hearts through the Holy Spirit :given us.” *Each of these
verses with context, has been established by Bible Numerics through the 50
years of labor of Russian Dr. Ivan Panin. He is called by one, “Russia's
Gift to Christianity!” An English Plumber by the name of Smith Wigglesworth
found this verse to be extremely helpful. When he found it impossible to
forgive a brother unexpectedly met, he would rush down an alley, and call
on God - “Quick God, give me a heavenly ‘love’ transfusion!” It worked!

 *9. Romans 8:26-27 (26-39) HOLY SPIRIT: CHIEF AGENT IN EARTHLY
INTERCESSION. “And in like manner the Spirit also helps our :infirmity: for
we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself intercedes
mightily for us with groanings unutterable; 27 and who searches the hearts
knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because he intercedes for the saints
according to God.” *This is one of the chief teaching verses of Rees
Howells. He understood thoroughly the help he received this way.

 *10. 1 Corinthians 12:4 (4-11) HOLY SPIRIT: RESPONSIBLE FOR GIFTS OF **
SPIRIT** THROUGH US.** “Now **there** are diversities of gifts, but the
same **Spirit**.”* The 9 gifts of the Spirit from here, and the 9-fold
fruit (one fruit, 9 sections, like an orange) - I link with the 9 Sacral
Vertebrae. They control our Walking, Reproduction and Elimination. The
Gifts of the Spirit are balanced by the Fruit of the Spirit, and in this
way are aided in being for edification for other members of the body of
Christ.

 *11. Galatians 5:22-23 (16-24) HOLY SPIRIT: AGENT OF THE FRUIT OF THE
SPIRIT. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against
:such there is no law.” *See notes on the Gifts of the *Spirit*.

 *12. Ephesians 4:4-6 (1-16) HOLY SPIRIT: A KEY IN THE UNITY OF THE SPIRIT.
“There is one body, and one Spirit, even as also you were called in one
hope of your :calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and
Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in all.” *If the 9
Sacral vertebrae are important as the Conclusive part of the container for
the Spinal Cord - then the 7 Cervical Vertebrae at the top are especially
important, for they connect the body with *the Head, Christ*! Notice the
order from the bottom to the top. The 7 Unities start out with us at the
bottom, and immediately the 6th vertebra is the *Spirit*. All our life as
individuals and corporately commence with *Him*. Conversion itself doesn't
cut the mustard. By Repentance and Faith, we are just ready to start. In
Acts 2:38, the Gift - d*o*-reA of the Holy Spirit follows Repentance and
Baptism. He is an Artesian Well, evermore flowing up into eternal life.
Follow through in the book of Acts each time this sequence is mentioned,
and it is impossible to miss its importance. Neither can the 7 Unities
mentioned here in the passage we are considering be underestimated in
importance.

 *13. 1 Thessalonians 5:19 (12-24) HOLY SPIRIT: CAN BE QUENCHED. “Quench
not the Spirit.” *As we carefully read the biography of “Rees Howells,
Intercessor” by Norman P. Grubb, we find a number of times during his
lifetime when he quenched the Spirit. Disobedience is the chief culprit.
Unforgiveness is another. Jesus said, *“For if you forgive not men their
trespasses - neither will your heavenly Father forgive you your
trespasses!” *The grieving takes place here. Out of the 7 requests in the
Lord's Prayer for us in the Sermon on the Mount, this is the *only* one
that is repeated. God knows how easily it is for us to fall short here.

 *14. Revelation 2:7a (1-7) HOLY SPIRIT: MUST BE LISTENED TO IN THE
CHURCH. “Who
has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” *Pastor Bob
Birch of Vancouver, Canada, scarcely preached a sermon, without mentioning
these 7 verses in Revelation 2 and 3. He knew how important it was for each
one of us to have *hearing* ears. *Meditation* in prayer over the Word,
helps to tune in our hearing. Obedience is of absolute importance. Jesus
said, *“He who hears* *these sayings of mine, and does them - shall be
likened unto a wise man who built his house upon a rock.” *One builds on
the sand otherwise, and has a terrible disaster looming up ahead. And when
we *hear* the *Spirit* speaking to the churches, then we are able to
discern between soul and spirit, and choose spiritual words rather than
those of the soul or flesh.

 *CONCLUSION**:* The above selection of 14, represent the 385 total, and
give a window in a small way to what the complete Word Study would totally
represent. *That* is the definition. Our 14 but give a window. However, I
believe it is a true window into the thinking of God. You could in turn
pick out your own 14 references, and they likewise would give a valid
window, but would *not* be the total definition. To thoroughly know God and
His Word, requires a lifetime of praying over and meditating upon the
Bible, and *then* acting upon it. This is what God through Moses commanded
Joshua to do (1:8).

 May God bless us all, individually and corporately, as we seriously seek
to be well-pleasing to Him, having a “*personal, passionate devotion to
Jesus,” *and a life of *fruitfully* doing His Word!

 *NOTE*: Numbers have asked to be kept up to date on the progress of the
Lord's leading for our Pilot Prayer Team, leading to the fulfillment of
manifesting “Spiritual Star Wars” through an “Organic Automated
Laser-Telescope.”

 The above Greek Word Study on “Spirit”, is a window to see what Rees
Howells in a measure experienced when he submitted himself during the Welsh
Revival at the turn of the last Century - to be “possessed” by the Holy
Spirit. *This*, as reduplicated in a corporate sense in 1937, 31 years
later, is a true picture of what God can do through a Team fully yielded to
His Spirit.

 This article for the “Word Study” section of our Website, will shortly be
followed by one on the “History, Vision and Development” of this concept.
We received a request from “Prayer Canada” and its founder and president to
simply and clearly lay out how other Prayer Teams can have God lift them to
Higher Ground - and so walk in this concept. The mailing sent out July 24,
2012 by George Muller entitled “Soul Nourishment First” - is the *very
key*to the success of his life!

 Our Seattle area Team went through the first 3 of the above 14 points on
Saturday December 5, and then spent our time in prayer for this Canadian
request, and how to write a suitable answer to their request. Later we
discovered that a Prayer Team north of Minneapolis prayed that God would do
something on Monday December 7th, to offset what happened on that date in
1941, “A Day of Infamy” according to our President.

 Hopefully - the article given by the Lord on that day - will answer both
the Canadian request, and the prayer from Minnesota. May it answer your
prayer and mine also!