Philippians 4:8 - Outline Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:13:25 PDT 2012

July 30, 2012

 *2012-07-28 - SURVEY VII - PHILIPPIANS 4:8 - OVERVIEW - THE MIND OF CHRIST*

 *1. TRUE. a-leTHES from LEtho* - 25 (203) references*

*- Primarily unconcealed, manifest; hence actual, true to fact.*

*- Used of a person, MAT 22:16; MAR 12:14; John 3:33; 7:18; 8:26; ROM 3:4.*

*- Things that are true, conforming to reality, John 4:18.*

*- God (John 7:28); Christ (John 1:9); and God’s words (John 4:37) are true.
*

*- LEtho means “to hide”. “a” - means to take out of the hidden state.*

 *2. HONORABLE. semNOS from SEbo-mai* - 4 (64) references*

*- A sense of gravity and dignity combined.*

*- Seriousness and purpose and self-respect in conduct.*

*- Necessary characteristic of the life and conduct of Christians, 1 TIM
2:2.*

*- Qualification of an overseer regarding children, 1 TIM 3:4.*

*- Necessary characteristic of teaching imparted by an elder, Titus 2:7.*

 *3. JUST. DIkai-os from DEcho-mai* - 81 (939) references*

*- State of being right, or right conduct according to both Divine and
human standards.*

*- The perfect agreement between God’s nature and His acts, in which He is
the standard for all men!*

*- Used of God (John 17:25); Christ (Acts 3:14); and men (MAT 1:19).*

*- Used of things: blood (metaphorical) MAT 23:35; Christ’s judgment, John
5:30; any circumstance, fact, or deed, MAT 20:4; the commandment, ROM 7:12;
works, 1 John 3:12; ways of God, REV 15:3.*

 *4. PURE. hagNOS* - 8 (20) references*

*- Pure from defilement, not contaminated.*

*- Pure from every fault, immaculate, 2 COR 7:11; 1 TIM 5:22; JAS 3:17; 1
John 3:3; 1 PET 3:2.*

*- Pure from carnality, modest, 2 COR 11:2; TIT 2:5.*

*- From the same root as HAgios, HAzo* - to venerate.*

 *5. LOVELY. pros-phiLES from PHIlos* - 1 (110) references*

*- Pleasing, agreeable, lovely.*

*- Found in Esther 5:1, third sentence, in the Septuagint.*

 *6. GOOD REPORT. EUphe-mos from eREo* - 1 (4076) references*

*- Uttering words or sounds of good omen; then, avoiding ill-omened words,
and hence fair sounding, of good report.*

*- Good report, good reputation, 2 Corinthians 6:8.*

*- Contrast with 2 Corinthians 6:8, evil speaking defamation.*

 *7. VIRTUE. a-reTE* - 5 references*

*- Whatever procures pre-eminent estimation for a person or thing.*

*- Intrinsic eminence, moral goodness, virtue (Daniel, Joseph).*

*- Impression made on others: renown, excellence, praise.*

*- Any particular moral excellence, Philippians 4:8.*

*- An essential quality in the exercise of faith, 2 Peter 1:5.*

 *8. PRAISE. EPai-nos from AInos* - 11 (32) references*

*- Denotes approbation, commendation, praise.*

*- God deserves praise because of His character and operations, Ephesians
1:12.*

*- Believers receive praise at the Judgment-seat of Christ exactly in
accordance with each person’s actions, 1 Corinthians 4:5.*

*- Praise should be accorded to whatever is praiseworthy, Philippians 4:8.*

*- Faithful Gospel minister deserve praise from the churches.*

 *NOTE**: TAKE ACCOUNT OF THE ABOVE 8 THINGS - loGIz**o from eREo* - 41
(4076) references*

*- Make the above subjects of your thoughtful consideration.*

*- Carefully reflect on them; let this mind be in you (Philippians 2:5).*

 *We are to think upon the above 8 things of Philippians 4:8 - on a daily
basis. We can then follow up “thinking” with speaking! and “speaking” with
doing; and “doing” with living. Actually - the living takes place when we
release Christ Jesus to live out His life through us by the Spirit! In this
manner the very heredity of Christ is manifested through us!*

 *I link Philippians 4:8 with the tribe of Judah, whose name means Praise!
He is the lion of the tribe of Judah. I like to sing something in line with
a tribe like this. I have adapted the words of an African-American chorus
for this:*

*We now overcome - *

*We now overcome -*

*We now overcome today!*

*O deep in my heart, I do believe -*

*We now overcome today!*

 *Marie and I had close friends in seminary in Chicago with a Chinese
couple, Dr. Hong and Amy Wang Sit. Amy was a concert pianist, and played
concertos with the Philadelphia Philharmonic under Stokowski. But her gift
became an idol, and God commanded her not to touch the piano for 7 years.
Then with His permission, she returned to her piano - but this time she put
100’s of Scripture portions to classical, popular and nursery rhyme tunes.
To Philippians 4:8 she added the tune from “do, re, me” from “Sound of
Music”. Try it!*

 *Amy was daughter to Dr. Leland Wang, Chinese missionary to S.E. Asia, who
founded some 100 churches. One of his favorite aphorisms was: “No Bible -
No breakfast!” He later turned this mission over to his son-in-law Dr. Hong
Sit.*

 *It is great to sing scripture portions to worthy tunes. I have sung an
American edition of the Scottish Psalter arranged with modern hymn tunes -
for many years.*

 *May this Philippians 4:8 be a special blessing to each one of us as we
meditate over it in the spirit of Joshua and George Muller, and sing it in
the spirit of the Sits. Jim Watt*